Merged: Mort chat/ESPN's Mort on Feeley/Fiedler | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Mort chat/ESPN's Mort on Feeley/Fiedler

Dolphins17-0

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Mort chat

answering quesions now, found these interesting...

Rob, Seattle: Mort! PLEASE tell me that Holmgren is going to do everything in his powers to bring Jevon Kearse to the pass-rushless Seattle Seahawks!

Chris Mortensen: (12:05 PM ET ) At what price, and for how many games do you want him?

wheres keyhawk when you need him, explain to this guy that you want ogun over kearse.

Brad (Louisville, KY): Why have the Dolphins insisted on taking other teams third string quarterbacks since Dan Marino retired? It has been Fiedler, Lucas, and now Feeley.

Chris Mortensen: (12:17 PM ET ) The Dolphins probably take some hope in recent successes of guys like Tom Brady (3rd stringer, former 6th rounder), Jake Delhomme, even a Marc Bulger.... and I think they felt the market was dry. I don't believe there was a demand for Feely and I think they moved too qquickly on this deal. There's still a basic question that should have been asked: If Feely was so good, why was Koy Detmer (average at best, being generous) the guy who replaced McNabb in the NFC title game? I'm dubious. If I were Fiedler, I'd be begging to stay in Miami (with incentives on a restructured deal).

I think the reason they went with Koy Detmer in the NFC game is because in those situations you go with the more seasoned veteran given that both Koy and Feeley had not played in a long time and probably did not get practice snaps.

I think the major reason Detmer was 2nd and Feeley was 3rd was Detmer's familiarity with Andy Reid's system not so much as who is better.

I don't believe there was a demand for Feely and I think they moved too quickly on this deal.

Mort knows the same thing that the rest of the league and most of the fans know.

Does it matter at that point who you bring in? You aint doing oit cause you hope he brings you back for the victory. If you think that why was McNabb playing at all? I dont remember that game like it was yesterday anymore, so cannot remember teh circumstances. But mop up duty is not reflective on who is better.

Mort knows his stuff but Rick is paid to do what's best for the Dolphins. He did his homework on this guy and he knows that if Feeley fails, his a$$ is toast. I'm not happy about giving up a 2nd round pick for this guy but if he works out and we make it deep into the playoffs, Rick will look like a genius.
That being said..it's not March 3rd yet so none of this Feeley deal is set in stone. Wouldn't surprise me if they are using the trade rumors to get Jay to restructure. Let him test the waters...see if anyone is interested..he has until the 3rd. If nothing comes up, he restructures, if someone bites, they make the deal for Feeley.

ESPN's Mort on Feeley/Fiedler

Brad (Louisville, KY): Why have the Dolphins insisted on taking other teams third string quarterbacks since Dan Marino retired? It has been Fiedler, Lucas, and now Feeley.

Chris Mortensen: The Dolphins probably take some hope in recent successes of guys like Tom Brady (3rd stringer, former 6th rounder), Jake Delhomme, even a Marc Bulger.... and I think they felt the market was dry. I don't believe there was a demand for Feely and I think they moved too qquickly on this deal. There's still a basic question that should have been asked: If Feely was so good, why was Koy Detmer (average at best, being generous) the guy who replaced McNabb in the NFC title game? I'm dubious. If I were Fiedler, I'd be begging to stay in Miami (with incentives on a restructured deal).
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=4856

my bad. i didn't see the earlier post.

Last edited by a moderator:
feeley will make his own demand. only he will already be owned.

anyways, is feeley gonna be any worse than say.......Bulger?

and what exactly is the QB market anyways becuase if you want to talk about real supply and demand, the supply isnt exactly blossoming. Henson is juat as much a risk. ask any gm, thats why buffalo has pulled back. Fiedler is not wanted anymore by fans so what gives? None of us know what is going on on the inside except spielman. well based on what has not transpired the past few weeks, i would say spielman hasnt done anything that is out of whack except maybe that he gave too much (2nd rounder) for him. His contract isnt really that bad considering he will be the starter.

The Eagles stated three years ago that the only reason they drafted Feeley was to get a young guy in and teach him the West Coast Offense and then trade him away. The didn't use him in the Championship game because they didn't want him to get hurt - thus damaging his trade value.

I agree with Mort on the moving too fast. I think we may have been a little desperate. Although, we don't know how many teams were talking to the Birds about Feeley...and neither does Mort. It all occured very quickly at the combine where the teams could meet face to face. But, keep in mind, Spielman said they were investigating QBs for three weeks. I think they had their mind made up once Brunell and Ramsey weren't going to happen for us.

Originally posted by finfan54
feeley will make his own demand. only he will already be owned.

anyways, is feeley gonna be any worse than say.......Bulger?

and what exactly is the QB market anyways becuase if you want to talk about real supply and demand, the supply isnt exactly blossoming. Henson is juat as much a risk. ask any gm, thats why buffalo has pulled back. Fiedler is not wanted anymore by fans so what gives? None of us know what is going on on the inside except spielman. well based on what has not transpired the past few weeks, i would say spielman hasnt done anything that is out of whack except maybe that he gave too much (2nd rounder) for him. His contract isnt really that bad considering he will be the starter.

Buffalo pulled back because we looked to be the front runners for Henson, now that we aren't because of Feeley, Buffalo is the new front runners for Henson.

Originally posted by Rick 1966
I don't believe there was a demand for Feely and I think they moved too quickly on this deal.

Mort knows the same thing that the rest of the league and most of the fans know.

Mort said..."I don't believe...."......NOT....."I know...."

Big difference.

Originally posted by phinphanbill
The Eagles stated three years ago that the only reason they drafted Feeley was to get a young guy in and teach him the West Coast Offense and then trade him away. The didn't use him in the Championship game because they didn't want him to get hurt - thus damaging his trade value.

I agree with Mort on the moving too fast. I think we may have been a little desperate. Although, we don't know how many teams were talking to the Birds about Feeley...and neither does Mort. It all occured very quickly at the combine where the teams could meet face to face. But, keep in mind, Spielman said they were investigating QBs for three weeks. I think they had their mind made up once Brunell and Ramsey weren't going to happen for us.
:hitself: WHAT? SO the Eagles deliberately played a lesser quality backup QB in the NFC Championship game and missed out on the superbowl so that Feely wouldn't loose trade value????????? Gimme some of what you've been smoking cause it must be the good sh@t! Feely will end up being great and I agree with GreenPhinFan when he said that Spielman is basing his career on this deal. But give me a break!

Originally posted by phinphanbill

In the NFL Title game, I think the last thing on the Eagles' mind was Feeley's trade value. If they thought Feeley was the second best QB on their team, they would have put him in the game.

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
Was Feeley active for that game, or was he an "emergency quarterback"?

You are way too smart for your own good.

Feeley was INACTIVE for that game.

Gamebook link

Back
Top Bottom