Merged: Owens misses filing deadline | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Owens misses filing deadline

phunwin

The name's Bond...James Bond.
Reaction score
Major T.O. news - Owens misses filing deadline

According to FOX Sports, TO and his agent missed a filing deadline to void the final three years of his contract. The Niners can now seek to trade him rather than lose him for nothing.

I think this may help our pursuit of Owens, such as it is. The need to give up something in return can only help level the playing field between teams with tons of cap room, and teams without. Previously, a team with a ton of cap room could just plan to give TO a ton of money. Now, with another party to deal with, that is, the 49ers, it's not that easy.

We still probably won't get him, and may not even try, but this might help whatever chance we have.

My bad! I missed that on the boards. Sorry, didn't mean to topic pollute.

ESPN is reporting that Browns WR Dennis Northcutt failed to submit the same type of papers for free agency so he is no longer a FA...these guys can't be that dunb...can they????

Incredible. It sucks. Every team that would have grabbed those guys (northcutt to us?) would have passed on WR in the draft and left another great on to us.:cry:

The Rochester Mafia is in DA HOUSE!!!! :lol:

And as I said, this doesn't by any stretch cut off our pursuit of TO. I am confident the Niners will still move him. He wants to be gone, they will look to start over. It's just a matter of working out a contract for him and coming to agreement with the Niners. I really think this helps us more than anything.

How an agent can forget to do stuff like this is mind-boggling. Let's see, let's assume that TO's new deal would be 7 years at $49 million, with a $10 million signing bonus, multiplied by 5% (agent fees vary, but 5% is pretty common, and probably about right for a star like TO)...he just cost himself almost $3 million. Wow.

Oh yeah, and he's probably out of a job too. Nice going, slick.

Originally posted by bigmiamifan
Is this the same agent that reps Anthony Carter?
:lol:

(For what it's worth, I think Carter was repped by David Falk, in case anyone cares, but I could be wrong)

So this leaves them more open to a trade... They aren't gonna want to stay and play for a team that is almost forcing them to, so we may be able to trade for them and get them kind of cheap.. could be nice..

Well, I don't know if we'll get him cheap, but if SF was willing to let him walk for nothing, I suppose anything they get would be a bonus.

The big issue will be his contract, not the trade compensation.

Well one thing is for sure. He isn't going to Baltimore. Not only do they not have a first round pick, I can't see them trading a 2nd rounder when they might need a running back because of Jamal Lewis's problems.

Last edited:
This is too funny. I'd think about suing the agent if I was TO.

Back
Top Bottom