Merged: Owens misses filing deadline | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Owens misses filing deadline

Anyone think that T.O and his agent know thatthere is not a big market for his services, so he opted not to be a FA, knowing the niners would still move him.

By "forgetting" the paperwork, T.O. does not look like he playing it safe - his agent takes the hit as being "stupid".

There has not been one team that has been linked to T.O. all offseason. Baltimore has said they are not interested, and same with Philly.

No,

That would be stupid, now he won't be able to make as much money as he could have if he gets traded. He has less to bargain with and the 49ers have the ULTIMATE control on where he goes, not him. Bottom line is that his agent to a complete dumbass.

how the hell does someone forget to file some paperwork declaring 'whatever' when it will net you tens of millions of dollars over the next few years........(or verify completion with the person doing so).......

i dont think he hurt himself much money wise, just wanting to get out of san fran he did. The guy is earning a base of 5.3 mil next year, as one of the highest paid WR's. From there i assume he has incentives

Wow... Now TO will go to the Jets.. I'll bet big money on that.

Jets were 2nd runner up for the trade for Champ Bailey.

They'll give up about the same for Owens.

It's amazing how these players can miss filing deadlines. There are millions of dollars at stake, and they can't even file some papers? That's pretty pathetic.

Well, don't blame the players, they entrust their powers over to their agents, so blame them. I wouldn't agree that this is a ploy due to lack of interest either. The paperwork was filed, just a few days too late. If he wanted to do this as a ploy, I don't think the effort would have been made.

Who this helps the most is Darrell Jackson. With both Northcutt and Owens now only to be acquired via trade, his free agent stock has just went through the roof.

For all you that have or had TO on your dolphins wish list, you can take him off now.

49ers | Owens Not a Free Agent After All - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:59:09 -0800

SportsLine.com's Jay Glazer reports San Francisco 49ers WR Terrell Owens will not be an unrestricted free agent after all. Owens and his agent, David Joseph, failed to send the proper paperwork to void his contract. Instead of becoming a free agent in March, Owens is now under contract for three more years.

What a bummer, I didnt want him in the 49ers again, but after reading this....

Jets | Run For Owens? - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:03:27 -0800

The New York Daily News reports the New York Jets will have close to $10 million in salary-cap room to spend on free agents after cutting high-salaried veterans and restructured contracts. The freed cap room will put the Jets in position to make a run at San Francisco 49ers WR Terrell Owens.

I guess you can say its a relief.

What are the odds, that TO will be looking for a new agent? :D

I think if Miami had him on their radar, now it is even easier to get him. If he ends up being property of the Niners after the hearing, he will almost certainly demand to be traded, which means draft picks or players as compensation. Miami could easily trade off their first rounder for him or something ot that effect. Plus they get him at a cheaper rate than what he would have gone for on the open market.

I personally, don't want him here but I am just saying, it is seemingly easier to get him now, especially for the Jets or whoever.

Originally posted by Great_One
This is too funny. I'd think about suing the agent if I was TO.

I know in Anthony Carter's case, the agent ended up paying him the $3 million he was owed out of his pocket. If TO wanted to sue, he'd have a pretty solid case.

TO wont sue the moron, he'll just fire him and he will be blacklisted from representing anyone in the players association now, thats bad enough...

According to PFT, this may have been the union's fault. The NFLPA has made it a practice to alert agents to the dates of things like this, and the fact that two separate agents missed this deadline gives some credence to that. Apparently, this is a loophole in the CBA that isn't exercised regularly.

Even so, any competent agent or attorney should know enough to read the whole document, long and boring though it may be.

Back
Top Bottom