MERGED: Patriots and Lions trade | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Patriots and Lions trade

WiGGy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Patriots and Lions trade

Patriots hitch up Traylor and prepare to move

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...atriots_hitch_up_traylor_and_prepare_to_move/

"The Patriots have negotiated a standing offer with the Detroit Lions to acquire the sixth overall pick in the draft in exchange for four picks, including their two first-round selections, according to an industry source. The way the deal reportedly would work is if the target of the Patriots' affection is still on the board when the Lions are ready to select at No. 6, the Lions would trade their first-round choice, as well as a fourth-round pick (No. 105), to New England for the Patriots' two first-round picks (Nos. 21 and 32), one of its second-round choices (either No. 56 or 63), and a fourth-round pick (No. 113).

The deal would be contingent on 6-foot-2-inch, 230-pound University of Miami safety Sean Taylor still being on the board. The chance exists that the Washington Redskins, who pick fifth, could grab Taylor to fill a gaping hole in their secondary, but they might choose instead to go after his teammate, All-America tight end Kellen Winslow."

I truly don't believe it myself. The draft is way too deep to give up all that for one player. If Ty Law is part of this deal that would put the Patriots back in rebuilding mode. I have a feeling Law won't be a Patriot this upcoming season.

----------------------------

There is a lot of talk about the Pats trading up. Sean Taylor is the man that they want - thats no secret. We shall see.

If this is true , is it a knee-jerk reaction to Boston becoming a Dolphin? Me thinks the Pats are nervous about our passing attack. I hope they do it and Taylor is a bust. I would rather have the picks they have now then trade them for one pick.

:smackhead

I disagree, dolfanrar, I would rather see the Pats trade up. New England has proven extremely proficient at turning quantity into quality when it comes to draft picks. They've built their mini-dynasty on having lots of depth and quality everywhere, rather than around a couple superstars.

They have been fans of Taylor long before Boston arrived.

so if this goes through, they have taylor and harrison, thats a nice combo of 2 starting S in this league.... :eek:

Any GM that trades that much for a free safety should have their head examined.

I hope this is true.

I hope it's true as well. I'd rather the Pats have 2 shots in the great crap shoot that is the NFL draft in the first two rounds than 4.

What I don't get is why not make this offer to the Giants instead of the Lions. I see the chance that Washington will take Taylor as a big one. If the Patriots are overpaying (and I think they probably are), why wouldn't the Giants be happy to do this. It's not like the Giants are one tackle away from greatness...

Originally posted by dolfanrar
I hope they do it and Taylor is a bust.
:smackhead

I resent this and Sean does too!! Sean will NOT be a bust, he is more ready for the NFL than people can imagine! NOw that he read this, he said he WILL prove you wrong.

I think this is an April Fools joke. Its dated April 1st, so it qualifies, and journalists are usually given some leeway by local papers to do April Fools stuff...remember last year for us it was that kicker being signed to replace Mare.

I don't know what I feel about it if its true. I guess it would be a good thing, because I dont think Sean Taylor is worth trading all those picks for him. Its one thing if you already have the #6 pick and you take him. Its another thing if you give up #6 pick value in other picks to get him. But I do think Taylor could be the best defensive player in the draft and you know Belichick would use the kid the right way too like Dallas uses Roy Williams and Baltimore uses Ed Reed.

I had previously heard that the Pats liked Larry Fitzgerald and Steven Jackson. Guess not.

if it is not an april fools joke... look at how much theyd be giving up, i hope this would put to rest all those dreams of us acquiring the top pick for simply two first rounders, if we got one from wale

I thought they were gonna trade up for one of the top WRs.

In that case mike williamws, roy williams or fitz will definitely be available.

the pats also would like wilfork to be thei9r new ted washington

and would love a back like jackson

Initially, you'd hope this is true (although you'd rather it not be for Taylor).

While the Pats would be getting a great player, they'd only be getting one great player, instead of four really good ones.

But they're coming off a Super Bowl title. So it isn't as if they need help in a lot of places. So they can probably afford to trade picks for a great player they covet. Also, all those picks would cost some money. And fitting them all into the rookie salary pool would be tough.

Plus, New England would still have a #2, a #3, and two #4's (IIRC). So it isn't as if their draft would be bare.

Back
Top Bottom