MERGED: Patriots and Lions trade | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Patriots and Lions trade

Ty law could be sent off for a pick to make up for 1 of the #1 pics?
also Poston started bad mouthing Belichick yesterday I think this
could be a done deal.

This story broke in the Detroit Free Press yesterday and Borges' article was in todays paper.

Lions' high pick may bring offers for draft trades

Talk of possible swap with Pats
March 31, 2004

BY CURT SYLVESTER
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- With seven draft picks in the first four rounds -- including Nos. 21 and 32 overall -- New England coach Bill Belichick is interested in trading up in the NFL draft next month.

And with just six picks in the entire draft -- including the No. 6 pick in the first round -- Lions coach Steve Mariucci is a target for trade offers.

"We've had some conversations with Bill," Mariucci said Tuesday. "They're the only team that has two in the first round. When you look to trade back, you always look at who's got two first-round picks. That's who you look at first.

"I've spoken with Bill, Matt has spoken with Bill, we've spoken with several people with several teams about moving. That's what goes on now."

But for the talent-starved Lions, coming off a 5-11 season with only 10 wins in the last 48 games, a simple two-for-one deal just isn't good enough.

"One concern is moving from six to 21," Mariucci said. "That's a drop, a pretty good drop. You wouldn't do it just for those two picks; it would require more."

The ideal trade for Mariucci and president Matt Millen would drop them only four to six slots in the first round and would land them at least one more draft pick, preferably in the first or early second round.

"That would be a pretty good scenario, I suppose," Mariucci said. "You could certainly get one of those good receivers. It just depends.

"If you have to drop to 21 and 32, you've got to get that for sure -- and then, what else besides that? What other draft pick or picks -- or player -- goes with it? Then you consider that."

The lure of getting the sixth-best player in the draft is a strong factor for a team lacking star power since the retirement of running back Barry Sanders in 1999.

But the alternative -- landing two, three or more solid players who could play 8-10 years -- also is appealing for the Lions, who seemingly have done well in free agency but still have needs at linebacker, guard, running back, wide receiver, tight end, safety and pass rusher.

If the Lions make any kind of deal it probably will not happen until draft day on April 24, probably not until they are on the clock with 15 minutes to make a selection or make a trade.

If they're interested in giving up the No. 6 pick, there's a good chance Belichick will listen.

"I think we have enough draft picks to be able to move if we want to move," he said. "It depends on who you're moving for, what you want to do with that move. I don't think you want to move just to move, but if there's something specific you want to do, we might have the opportunity to do that."

Detriot Trading Pick to Patiots for 4 Picks

miami.theinsiders.com is reporting that the Patiots are close to a deal with the number 6 pick to pick up Sean Taylor from the University of Miami. This sucks guys. I'm not making this up, they have a report down the page that says the two teams are dicussing the trade.

We know, but Belichik is denying it.

Patriots | Belichick Denies Rumored Draft Swap W/ Lions - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:59:17 -0800

Updating a previous report, Bryan Morry, of Patriots.com, reports New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick issued a firm denial of the rumored draft trade between the Patriots and Detroit Lions that would involve the team's two first round picks, a second and a fourth to the Lions for the sixth overall pick and Detroit's fourth rounder. "We definitely would not consider that," Belichick said. As previously reported, however, Belichick would not rule out the possibility of trading up in the draft to obtain a coveted player.

Sean Taylor is going to be a stud safety in this league. He would be a great addition. However, the Patriots really need a RB, and by making this trade, they would not get the RB that they need.

I like this trade for the Lions because they have a lot of holes and they could use the extra picks. I also think that Taylor would be a great addition for the Patriots. It makes sense for both teams, but I kind of like it from a Dolphins perspective because I thought the Patriots would draft a RB in the first round which would make their offense scarier, and now that won't happen.

I'm trying to focus on the positives, but I don't like the site of Sean Taylor in a Patriots jersey.

I never heard this before, where have I been? I'd hate for them to get Taylor one of my favorite all time UM players.

Oh no!..If the Pats get Taylor they might have a great defense and they might contend for a Superbowl...uh oh.

There is no sure thing I'd rather see the pats loose a slew of picks.

Time to start the "Sean Taylor to Washington" Bandwagon. :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom