Merged: Problems w/ trading Madison/Trading Madison is a HUGE mistake! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Problems w/ trading Madison/Trading Madison is a HUGE mistake!

Dolfan4life

Starter
Reaction score
What would be the problems with trading Madison

for someone like T. Owens. Both have big salaries and big mouths. We need Offensive help and they need Defensive help.

I was just wondering. I am sure their are salary cap problems, but I didn't know. Please fill me in.

It just seems funny how there are not that many trades in the NFL.

The biggest problem is this: NOBODY WOULD WANT HIM! His cap figure is way too high and his production has been somewhat suspect so who in their right mind is going to accept a $6+million cap hit for a guy who's on the decline? Reality check here, this will NEVER happen.

When will people understand that Trading Madison is a HUGE mistake!??

When will people understand that we need S.Madison more than S. Madison needs us....I keep hearing "trade Madison" talk....this guy is still a top 10 CB in the league, and would be a very tough player to replace....He and Surtain are a very HUGE part of why the Defense does what it wants to.....All Madison trade talk must stop now!.....I do, however, agree he should restructure his contract, and if he doesnt, release him next year or let him play the contract out....but we need him for a strong run in the upcoming year.

If he'll re-structure {which I highly doubt}, we should keep him. Otherwise, his salary highly exceeds his "on field" performance as of late. He's simply not that great anymore....

No re-structure??....Take the train!!....:yell:

PHINZ RULE!!!

:fire:

it will be hard to replace him, however. there are not that many top 10 cbs just laying around, c.bailey will get re-signed by the skins and madison is better than c.woodson (woodson will want more money too). sam is not a problem, why trade him? what's better, argubly the best cb in football and a top 10 cb or argubly the best cb and t buck or jamar fletcher?

The only reason to trade him is if he won't take a pay cut, I agree. He's top 10, but most likely #10, and he's not gonna get any better. I like the guy, but he needs to take a pay cut, or be cut(traded).

Originally posted by Phishstix
it will be hard to replace him, however. there are not that many top 10 cbs just laying around, c.bailey will get re-signed by the skins and madison is better than c.woodson (woodson will want more money too). sam is not a problem, why trade him? what's better, argubly the best cb in football and a top 10 cb or argubly the best cb and t buck or jamar fletcher?

There is no way Madison is better then Woodson!!!...if woodson could have a Injury free year he would probably be the best CB in the NFL and he returns punts and tackles!!

If Miami can find a way to signifacantly lower Sams contract we should go after Ahamd Carroll whom a few days ago forgone his senior year!!!...This guy might be around in the mid 2nd!!

Re: What would be the problems with trading Madison

Originally posted by Dolfan4life
for someone like T. Owens. Both have big salaries and big mouths.

There is no way on the face of this EARTH, that you can compare Madison's mouth to someone like Owens. That's just going 5 steps too far.

Here's the thing. What if the only thing standing in the way of us getting a big time Quarterback that can finally give us something other than an offensive offense, is Sam Madison's hefty salary?

Thats what we're staring at when we say that Madison's salary is exceeding his performance. He has come down to earth over the past two years and I suspect a physical problem that either we're not hearing about or the team doesn't even know about. It can't be mental two seasons in a row, with him getting burnt all the time like he is. In the same system he was a god before and now he is not. We're getting as much passrush as ever. I'm not saying he can't have a resurgence, in fact if he goes to another team I speculate he'll have one and make them very happy for a year or two...I'm just saying it is not looking very likely that he will have a resurgence HERE in MIAMI while Dave Wannstedt is his coach. He is a malcontent.

That said I don't think there's any way we're trading him. If anything he'd be a June 1st cut.

And we're going to need the money if we're going to revamp the offensive line, quarterback, and wide receiver positions. With him gone we'll also need to sign someone to hold the fort at CB, and with Ogun possibly leaving as well...a DE (unless we just go with injury prone D-Bo)

If we release or trade Madison, we will take a huge cap hit. The best move for the Dolphins in terms of the salary cap would be to restructure his contract, because releasing or trading him will not help us.

I don't think thats necessarily true. I will defer to clumped who has better sources than I do, but Madison's 2004 base salary should be 6.3 million.

It appears he signed his contract prior to the 2000 season which means he's played through about half of his signing bonus...which I would speculate to be what, about 10 million at the most? I dont think it even reached double digits I'm pretty sure it was 8 million but we'll say 10 because there might have been a restructuring involved somewhere along the way.

Anyway that means 5 million would get accelerated to the cap if we cut Sam before June 1st...giving us a savings of 1.3 million.

But if we cut him after June 1st then we save more like 5 million...with a cap hit of 3.75 million coming in 2005.

These are NOT exact figures mind you, but they reflect generally the fact that yes if we cut Madison we can and will save money. If we trade him we only save the 1.3 million or so.

Back
Top Bottom