Merged: Rick Spielman Finishes his Q&A Live! See if he answered one of your Q's... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Rick Spielman Finishes his Q&A Live! See if he answered one of your Q's...

Originally posted by Boomer
Lack of upper body strength. Athletic, good puller, stays with his blocks. Had some niggling injuries, and needed to add weight. He is a solid looking prospect at the G spot.

Boomer tell me how a guy who's in the 1,500 lb club needs to add upper body strength. What I've heard about him is he's not very athletic and very strong.

Look at his personal workout numbers and tell me he needs to add strength.

Originally posted by Section126
I still can't think of why he didn't play last year.

He must REALLY REALLY REALLY suck.
supposedly, his undrafted teammate - Yates - beat him out on the depth chart and he was a 3rd rd'r :eek:

I still can't think of why he didn't play last year.

He must REALLY REALLY REALLY suck.

The guy literally sucked. He was getting beat left and right last TC, Yates was much, much better than he. I thought we should have cut him at the end of TC and kept Bell, but Whitney was a 3rd rounder and was kept, unless he does a complete 180 this year, I hope he isn't on the starting OL when the seaon starts. Can you say QB eaten alike. I don't know if the titian scrimage from last year is still on the web, but if you get a good look at it, you'll see why he didn't dress. I think Yates has way more up side and that's why he made the roster as a undrafted FA. Had Whitney been an undrafted FA, I'm sure we would have cut him.

I had heard somewhere that the reason Billy Yates was an undrafted free agent was because he broke his arm and missed most of his senior season and it hurt his draft status.

I believe Yates was supposed to better than Whitely anyways and would have been drafted in the 2nd-3rd round if not injured his senior season. Could he be the next Ogunleye? :D

Well I haven't heard anything like that about Yates but I do know that he did soundly beat Taylor Whitley on the depth chart. Whitley was a severe disappointment and only barely made the roster IMO. He really was getting beat left and right in camp. I saw parts of it in person. I honestly don't think its a strength issue because strength was considered a strong suit of his coming out. To be truthful the Dolphins may have just made the mistake of trusting Seth McKinney's word on Whitley too much. McKinney himself is turning out to not have as much talent as we envisioned. But Yates was almost scary with how well he started coming on for an undrafted guy.

But honestly with Nails a FA...us maybe getting rid of Perry, if the purse strings are tight in free agency we could be looking at the all-texas interior OL with Yates, McKinney, and Whitley. I could only wish they were all GOOD. That would be cool.

BTW I only just now thought of a damn good question I wanted to ask him that I think he would have answered because he's made comments to this effect in past offseasons.

I would have asked how bad our cap situation is this year compared to other years...we were in position to make a run at a fairly major free agent in Wayne Gandy last offseason, will we be able to be in that position again this offseason or will things be tighter?

I think that question was (somewhat) answered. They are going to MAKE money available.

john@bestcablesupply.com 1/26/2004

Due to restrictions with the cap, would we have to loose 1 or 2 defensive starters to be able to significantly upgrade the offense?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We will have to make some tough calls on defense, either through restructuring or cutting guys to free up cap room to get some players on offense.

I meant to say muscle to the weight - he's flabby

What you saw with Whitley last season was the typical transition for a rookie offensive lineman. What Wade Smith did this year in starting all 16 games was the exception for rookie linemen.

Taylor Whitley struggled with getting his pad level low and he struggled with his pass protection in training camp, but he was good when going straight ahead as a run blocker. Miami basically sat on him for the entire season, coaching him up and allowing him to condition his body.

Re: Why did Taylor Whitley not play last season but competing this year?

This is a mystery up there with Bigfoot and UFO's.

Anybody know?

Spielman says he WILL compete for a starting job.

He was inactive for every single game this season. What was his problem?

T Whitley should be an excellent candidate for NFL Europe this offseason ....

:D

Marino1983

NFL Europe? That's where we send UFAs. Boomer is right Whitley may start at RG for us this year. He is a great run blocker, that I know. Hopefully with McKinney next to him they can help double in pass protection.

i really hope Whitley improves and starts at RG next yr along with McKinney and Yates....bein a HUGE Texas A&M fan i'd love to see an all-Aggie interior O-line.

One must consider that some can adapt quickly and others take some time. If Whitley can assert himself in the weight room and the playbook, then i think he will be a roster candidate, but i doubt he will start unless he just pulls a Ogun on us. But OL is much different than any other position. You must be tough in the end. He has the build, now mentally he has to be in the game.

Back
Top Bottom