Merged: Source: Jags plan to pay QB bonus/I don't buy it!!!!/Interesting.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Source: Jags plan to pay QB bonus/I don't buy it!!!!/Interesting..

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
I don't buy it!!!!

I believe that the "trade talks" for Brunnell are exaggerated and an attempt by the Jags to get something for Brunnell instead of releasing him. They know Miami is desperate for a QB because we are taking a "win-now" approach and they also know that he's on our wish list so why not start up some rumors so that the dolphins get nervous and then it turns out to be lies and we overpaid for someone who was going to be released. Trading doesn't begin until March so speculations can be made all over the place and nobody has to validate any of them. I say we don't bite and if we do no better than a conditional 4th next year!!!!

Re: I don't buy it!!!!

Originally posted by phinfan2003
I believe that the "trade talks" for Brunnell are exaggerated and an attempt by the Jags to get something for Brunnell instead of releasing him. They know Miami is desperate for a QB because we are taking a "win-now" approach and they also know that he's on our wish list so why not start up some rumors so that the dolphins get nervous and then it turns out to be lies and we overpaid for someone who was going to be released. Trading doesn't begin until March so speculations can be made all over the place and nobody has to validate any of them. I say we don't bite and if we do no better than a conditional 4th next year!!!!

Yeah, I'm sure Joe Gibbs met with Brunell yesterday in order to help the Jags get more bang for their buck. I mean, the guy has absolutely nothing better to do right? Makes sense to me. :shakeno:

Interesting..

I don't know or care if this has already been posted, because our mods do a great job with merging. ;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1731097

Not so thrilled by the news of a potential trade for Brunell is Redskins incumbent Patrick Ramsey, a two-year veteran and the club's first-round pick in the 2003 draft. ESPN.com has learned that Gibbs met with Ramsey last Friday to apprise him of the team's interest in an unnamed veteran quarterback. But as framed by Gibbs, the veteran would probably be a backup-type player who might compete for the starting job.

Ramsey might well request a trade if the Redskins are successful in their courtship of Brunell.

Re: Re: I don't buy it!!!!

Originally posted by Cranx

Yeah, I'm sure Joe Gibbs met with Brunell yesterday in order to help the Jags get more bang for their buck. I mean, the guy has absolutely nothing better to do right? Makes sense to me. :shakeno:
brunnell has not yet met with gibbs that might take place today thou.

Re: Re: Re: I don't buy it!!!!

Originally posted by tenndolfan
brunnell has not yet met with gibbs that might take place today thou.

ESPN changed the article. It originally read that Brunell had met with Gibbs in Orlando over the weekend; I guess their sources were off. At any rate, it's still a ridiculous notion for anyone to believe that the Jags are simply posturing considering most of the noise isn't coming from the Jags camp but from the 'Skins camp. Considering you haven't heard a word of denial out of Washington, one has to assume that this is factually based due to the fact that if it were false the 'Skins would be denying it up and down so as not to piss off their current starter Patrick Ramsey.

It doesn't take a genius to figure this one out.

Hey I know. Why don't we offer the Jags a conditional 1st rounder for Brunell. If we win the Super Bowl, we give them a 1st rounder. If we get to the Super Bowl, a 2nd rounder. If we get to the AFC Championship, a 3rd rounder. The playoffs, a 4th rounder. Not in the playoffs, a 6th rounder. Heheh.

simply put if we give up a first day pick for brunnell then our front office already needs to go just weeks after they arrived at their new positions. we are short on picks now as it is if the stakes go up on brunnell we should look elsewhere and keep our picks. this is ridiculous talking about trading a first day pick for a 34 year old qb. we need all of our picks period!!

If Brunell wins us the Super Bowl, I think he'll have been worth a first rounder...don't you?

There is also a story on the radio that the Jags would accept a straight up player trade. The name mentioned was Rod Gardener...but, I don't see the skins getting rid of him. Although, having Coles does make Gadener a bit more expendable when we have a draft loaded with WR talent.

I say we give them Jamar Fletcher...and call it even. They get there 1st round pick and we get an efficient QB.

I thought this was more interesting...
Sources said Washington was originally prepared to part with a middle-round choice in the 2004 draft to land Brunell, but it now appears any team that adds the 11-year veteran will have to surrender at least a second-round selection.
"wasting" (I thought we c/get him as a FA) a 4th rd pick would be no big deal, but now the pick is getting kinda high for a guy a couple of weeks from being cut

Re: Source: Jags plan to pay QB bonus

That article clears a lot up. I was under the impression he all but signed with Washington and that they were offering a first rounder for him. The jags are just hoping (dreaming) they can get a first for him with all the interest. And it's no done deal with him in Washington.

Re: Re: I don't buy it!!!!

Originally posted by Cranx

You are correct about one thing...

He's got nothing else to do on his way down to Daytona this week.

You think this could have been just a planned "hey, while we're down there" visit?

I'm curious to know who the original source was for the visit? If the source was in Jacksonville, something may not be right about this entire scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom