Merged: Ten Observations From The Game/The View from the Bottom of the Glass | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ten Observations From The Game/The View from the Bottom of the Glass

xiidaen

FinHeaven.com Evangelist
Reaction score
The View from the Bottom of the Glass

Great game last night. We even had an usually good turn out at the old sports bar for a Monday night game...

Is this the begining of the Griese era? Hard to say what lies ahead but Son of Bob looked sharp last night. At one point his passer rating was just slightly north of 150...and it doesn't get much better than that. Aside from excellent play on his part, he seemed to bring a spark to the rest of the offense, something they really needed. Receivers seemed to get just a little more separation...the line held their blocks just a little bit longer... I think he's easily earned another week under center. This is not to say he is without weaknesses, he does not have Jay's abilities to run, or avoid the rush very well, but his decision making was excellent, and in fact at least 4 of his incomplete passes were drops.

Speaking of drops, Derrius Thompson needs to step up and play, or sit down and warm the bench. I might even suggest letting McKnight start next week (if not the whole game) to try and light a fire under him a bit. When your 'great hands' posession receiver drops balls that hit him in the hands like that 2 weeks in a row, well, he needs to get his head back in the game.

Defense! This defense is currently crushing oponents on the road. Pat Surtain is eying the team interception record, with just four more picks needed this season. I also think we're about due next week for some good play by Knight, who needs to get some balls to keep his 5 INTS per year pace. As for the rest of the secondary, I've seen Marion make some huge hits in last two games, Madison is tackling well, and Greenwood is stepping up his game. With O-Gun playing like a man posessed and JT giving his usual total effort on every play, this defense is currently a dominant force on the field.

Low lights: Olindo, I'll give you another bye this week on the miss, but I think that's all I have until you make a clutch kick or two. Shake it off!
Ricky fumbles. We know this, theories point at small hands, short arms, and huge biceps. But at our own 1? Ricky does not look entirely himself of late. I know the line has problems, but hopefully he'll be another beneficiary of a resurgant passing game.

Next Week: the Colts. Serious opposition. We've matched well against them in the past, but in the regular season the home team loses this game more often than not. Griese needs a big day, as does Ricky and the rest of the offense. On D, the key to the game is pressure on Manning. We've rattled him in the past, we need to do it again. Harrison will get his yards, but the defense needs to step up and hold the line while the offense controls the clock and puts points on the board. If we can score 28 points and not turn it over, we should have a good shot at a win. If we can get wins the next two weeks, this team will be in good position for a final push in the last games of the season.

And I can't wait to watch it happen.

Ten Observations From The Game

Here are my thoughts on the Monday Nighter:

1. Brian played well enough to get another shot at it. But, no matter who the quarterback is we have an unhealthy way of looking good on offense for a half and then packing it in and hoping the other team can't come back.

2. Special teams is looking like a disaster. No matter what anyone says, the Mike Westoff firing has hurt this team and the skill players on special teams are weak. We still have no long snapper or punter and I don't know about you, but I can't watch when Mare kicks anymore. Charlie Rogers was a waste of a roster spot. I like what Sam Simmons brings, he should get a few more chances.

3. Ricky's fumbles are a lot more acceptable when he is running for 200 yards.

4. The offensive line is still not good. Does anyone remember when Wanny said that there were not many teams like the Giants that could stuff the run like that? Well, it turns out there are not to many teams that can't. Ruddy holds more than he blocks and Nails is well, bad.

5. McKnight should be starting. No, he's not a great wide receiver, but it is obvious that he is better than Darius Thompson who turned out to be another poor sigining. If DT can't come up with a catch in tight coverage, than he can't help this team because he gets no separation at all.

6. Randy McMichael may be the best receiver on the team. He should get a lot more looks. He is also an underrated blocker. Watch him, his man may not get pancaked, but he doesn't often make the tackle either.

7. Wally is quickly playing himself into a huge contract. He may not be Jason Taylor, but he sure plays like he is. When Wally got the speed rush sack around the tackle he was as fast as any DE including Jason.

8. Pat Surtain is just plain awesome. He reads the quarterback as well as any defensive back and is rarely if ever out of position. If Pat keeps this up, he may leave Miami as the best cover corner in team history. The irony is that Sam is playing well too, we just don't notice.

9. The run defense is as good as I have ever seen. What is interesting is that the success against the run has everything to do with the secondary. How many times did we see Marion or Knight up at the line and involved in the tackle. It helps to have Surtain and Madison so that the Safeties can come up. A couple of times Marion made tackles that stopped big runs from Tomlinson.

10. The bet way to attack the Dolphins is to run drag or crossing routes forcing the linebackers, especially Zach Thomas to try and run with receivers or linebackers. It works if you can get the protection, which San Diego rarely did on Monday Night. But, even they hit a few big plays that way.

Good Win for the Dolphins. Don't forget to tip your waitresses and try the veal.

I agree with most of that. The only reservation I truly have about Wally is this. It is his contract year. Plenty of others have done spectacular one year, cashed in, and then mailed it in. However, he seems to have improved over last year on cashing in his chances while Taylor is being held in check. Kudos for that.

I get frustrated with our defense for a few reasons. We always allow dump offs and screens to hurt us. QB scrambles seem to bite us in the *** as well. I guess that is the trade off of getting a push inside or outside, but it still frustrates me.

Special teams are indeed what they are. Special. I think we need to pack those guys back onto the little yellow bus and get the real ST unit out here fast. Mare has not been the same guy for two season now. I officially get nervous when he is on the field. I also have to shake my head and Rogers, Grau and Turk. Grau somehow managed to snap the ball over the reach of a guy who is 6'5". Turk, had plenty of room to punt but risked himself and the team by trying to run it. Rogers, well he just hasn't worked out as expected. Minor and Simmons seem to work just fine for me.

Your observations are almost exactly the same as mine. I have zero confidence in Mare, and our long-snapping is a joke. Still, Turk had plenty of time to get that punt off anyway. It was like the Chargers hadn't even noticed the high snap.....as you could see on the replay, they all turned and ran upfield. And Simmons definitely deserves to stay in as the return guy for a while.

Originally posted by Samphin
I agree with most of that. The only reservation I truly have about Wally is this. It is his contract year. Plenty of others have done spectacular one year, cashed in, and then mailed it in. However, he seems to have improved over last year on cashing in his chances while Taylor is being held in check. Kudos for that.

I get frustrated with our defense for a few reasons. We always allow dump offs and screens to hurt us. QB scrambles seem to bite us in the *** as well. I guess that is the trade off of getting a push inside or outside, but it still frustrates me.

Special teams are indeed what they are. Special. I think we need to pack those guys back onto the little yellow bus and get the real ST unit out here fast. Mare has not been the same guy for two season now. I officially get nervous when he is on the field. I also have to shake my head and Rogers, Grau and Turk. Grau somehow managed to snap the ball over the reach of a guy who is 6'5". Turk, had plenty of room to punt but risked himself and the team by trying to run it. Rogers, well he just hasn't worked out as expected. Minor and Simmons seem to work just fine for me.

I don't think there is any evidence that Wally is the type of guy to mail it in after a good year. He is not Darryl Gardner.

Our D has trouble with the backs and TEs because we ask the linebackers to cover them one on one. Its possible for a few seconds, but if the Qb scrambles or gets time someone is going to get open. That's our scheme, and we just have to live with it I guess.

Good observation about Grau. It is a challenge to launch it over Turk's head. I don't know what the answer is on this one. If there was a great snapper out there, someone would have signed him by now. Probably the Giants ;)

Turk should have punted anyway. So we get a penalty. Then we punt again. That's better than a 7 yard gain.

QB scrambling hurt us because Taylor always seems to rush to the outside and he opens a big lane for the QB to go.

Is it me or he always looks to be ten yards being the QB ? He seems to rely more on his speed than ever this year.

Originally posted by FinsGoToGuy
QB scrambling hurt us because Taylor always seems to rush to the outside and he opens a big lane for the QB to go.

Is it me or he always looks to be ten yards being the QB ? He seems to rely more on his speed than ever this year.

I think he is pressing a bit. He wants to make a play. I's cut him some slack though, he's earned it. Also, I suppose its worth pointing out that he was very good against the run.

my #1 observation was the Griese was always on target. Both of his incompletes in the 1st half were drops (DT and RW). In the 2nd half, Chan Gailey stopped by and called the plays AFAICT since we just packed in it; and yet Griese still made all his passes accurately - in particular he threw the ball to the receiver in the right spot to avoid an INT

Hey Mike. Excellent analysis of the game, as usual. Had to watch it from home though - kid got sick. Missed all the fun at the bar. Completely concur that we have not just one but two really tough games the next two weeks. Let's hope we can pull off 2 w's.

I know I'll be front and center at Miami Mike's next

Howdy NJFF - missed you last night. Hope your kid feels better. If you beat me there on Sunday, grab a seat for me, ok?

Special Teams: People seem surprised that we have LS problems? Why? The events last season and this season show this position as the classic 'tiny cog' vital to the machine. We went from having one of the best in Perry to looking at the bottom of the heap. While I don't expect miracles, hopefully this will even out a bit with more practice. The only other options are to 1) try again with someone else or 2) give Zgonina a look, but he's pretty vital to the D-line right now...
What this really means is the rest of the team, particularly Mare and Turk need to step it up...

You got it dude - I usually get there about 11, so I'll put my new Dolphins football truck on the seat. Question for you and/or anybody - this win seems to me to be being played down by most of the media because the chargers defense is so bad. What gives?

I think they may play down the win because the Bolts were so distracted by the fire. Not the fact that they suck anyway

Derrius Thompson is a turd. He gets no seperation and he completely takes his eye off the ball and then drops it. Bust.

This O-line is awful. I see all the talk about Nails sucking, but why noone is talking about the entire right side of the line is beyond my comprehension. Perry and Wade were AWFUL last night. Maybe the Chargers have more talent on the right side, but they just couldn't do a thing last night. If I were the defense against us I'd stunt every play, it's always good for a guy to get free.

Ricky has looked slow and is not running hard. I'm officially down on him right now. Not saying bench him, but he sure is not the same guy as last year right now. Jamal Lewis is the same type of guy and he is running much harder, did you see how many people it took to tackle him this weekend?

There is no QB controversy. Griese is the starter. Period.

Re: Ten Observations From The Game

Originally posted by PhinKev
Here are my thoughts on the Monday Nighter:

1. Brian played well enough to get another shot at it. But, no matter who the quarterback is we have an unhealthy way of looking good on offense for a half and then packing it in and hoping the other team can't come back.

2. Special teams is looking like a disaster. No matter what anyone says, the Mike Westoff firing has hurt this team and the skill players on special teams are weak. We still have no long snapper or punter and I don't know about you, but I can't watch when Mare kicks anymore. Charlie Rogers was a waste of a roster spot. I like what Sam Simmons brings, he should get a few more chances.

3. Ricky's fumbles are a lot more acceptable when he is running for 200 yards.

4. The offensive line is still not good. Does anyone remember when Wanny said that there were not many teams like the Giants that could stuff the run like that? Well, it turns out there are not to many teams that can't. Ruddy holds more than he blocks and Nails is well, bad.

5. McKnight should be starting. No, he's not a great wide receiver, but it is obvious that he is better than Darius Thompson who turned out to be another poor sigining. If DT can't come up with a catch in tight coverage, than he can't help this team because he gets no separation at all.

6. Randy McMichael may be the best receiver on the team. He should get a lot more looks. He is also an underrated blocker. Watch him, his man may not get pancaked, but he doesn't often make the tackle either.

7. Wally is quickly playing himself into a huge contract. He may not be Jason Taylor, but he sure plays like he is. When Wally got the speed rush sack around the tackle he was as fast as any DE including Jason.

8. Pat Surtain is just plain awesome. He reads the quarterback as well as any defensive back and is rarely if ever out of position. If Pat keeps this up, he may leave Miami as the best cover corner in team history. The irony is that Sam is playing well too, we just don't notice.

9. The run defense is as good as I have ever seen. What is interesting is that the success against the run has everything to do with the secondary. How many times did we see Marion or Knight up at the line and involved in the tackle. It helps to have Surtain and Madison so that the Safeties can come up. A couple of times Marion made tackles that stopped big runs from Tomlinson.

10. The bet way to attack the Dolphins is to run drag or crossing routes forcing the linebackers, especially Zach Thomas to try and run with receivers or linebackers. It works if you can get the protection, which San Diego rarely did on Monday Night. But, even they hit a few big plays that way.

Good Win for the Dolphins. Don't forget to tip your waitresses and try the veal.

I agree with all your comments. Good points. I would say this:
1) The OL is this team's achilles heel. If we had a decent OL, we'd be 6-1 or better and we'd be SB calibre.

2) Griese should start next game on that performance. Although, when the opposing D is expecting pass, the OL is looking very shaky in pass blocking as well as run blocking.

3) ST's are bad. Especially kickoff return. It's horrible. Wanny's buddy is terrible. So to with his friend who is the OL coach. Dave needs to get a better handle on that.

4) Olindo needs a session with Doug Blevins. Rehire the guy no matter how much it costs! In other games, he's been slicing the ball too much. Last night, he played for the sliced and then proceeded to hit two hooks. One barely made it, the other missed. He is clearly off mentally and not in a groove. I think it's a problem that requires more than just a week of kicking.

5) The coaching still is problematic. Sometimes the play calling was decent, but there were still too many obvious runs on 1st and 10 and we were left with too many 2-11, 3-9 situations.

Back
Top Bottom