Merriman V Johnson

Merriman or D. Johnson a better fit for Dolphin D:

• Derrick Johnson

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Shawn Merriman

Votes: 15 71.4%

• Total voters
arsenal said:
running around blocks is something that can be corrected...

This is true. But, the ability to "take on big blockers" and the ability to stuff the lead block (something I saw him fail to do and what several who've watched film on him saw him fail at) can't be taught. He either can do it or he can't. It's not as easy as correcting a mental issue. It's whether he can stand up to a lineman. That's a bigger question-mark that is often overlooked or ignored by his supporters.

strenght is whats needed to take on big blockres, and not many LBs take on OL and win that battle in this league... thats the Dlines job... but hes already added more weight and up to the 245 range and still lightning quick... again its a mental error to run around blockers its you trying to make a play, in the NFL they will teach you to keep to your assignment, that can be taught and is one of the easier things to learn...

now instincts cannot be taught, and speed cannot be taught, 2 areas johnson has leaps and bounds over merriman, not to mentoin coverage skills and agility...

Da 'Fins said:
There is a difference here that you aren't considering. Zach T. has played in a D with two mammoth DT's in front of him that take up the interior blockers so he can make the tackle. From a run defense standpoint, it is built ENTIRELY around him; to protect him so he can make the play.

And, when the DT's aren't doing their job or are injured his productivity goes down. He still makes tackles, but a lot of them are 8-10 yards down field. That's not where you want them.

With DJ - who's going to protect him? We can't protect two LB's from the D-linemen!

I see Dj as a player who has massive skills that other LB's do not have like coverage, speed etc. You can always find big DT or Big LB's to fill up the middle but a true talent like DJ is rare. Look at other fast Defences like Tampa's who single handedly won them a Superbowl. I believe we have those big DT that we were missing last year and so Dj could do awesome. I also think that Seau is almost an exact copy of DJ who could teach him alot and who will only be here for 2 more years max. On that note i think Saban is more a Merriman kind of guy who can run up into the middle and take on them all but me personaly im a DJ fan

Back
Top Bottom