Message from a Fiedler supporter | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Message from a Fiedler supporter

Jimmy James

You sit on a throne of lies!
Reaction score
If Brian Griese does indeed get the start on Monday night, I hope that it brings some resolution to the quarterback controversy that have divided Dolphins fans and quite possibly the team itself.

My preference would be for Brian to play just well enough to eke out a win so that Jay retains his job, but I am willing to accept a clear statement from Brian that he is the better man for the job if that's how it goes. What I don't want is a loss or a performance from Brian that does nothing more than muddy the waters.

The window for this team is closing -- who knows how many more years the defense can keep playing at the level they have been over the past few years. Age or the salary cap will eventually dictate a rebuilding mode. It would be a crime for this year to turn into a slightly better version of the Browns from the last couple of years instead of the great playoff run I think we all anticipated. As fans, we need to remember the goal a little bit more and bicker among ourselves about who is right about what quarterback is starting a little bit less.

Go Dolphins, and best of luck to either man who ends up playing against the Chargers!

News Radio was a great show. Welcome aboard Mr. James!

Nice post too. We all want the same thing. No doubt.

I would like to add that the Fins shouldn't be worrying about how they're going to beat any team in the playoffs.....They should be worrying about how they are going to win the next game, and judging by the signs coming out of Davie this week, they are working on doing exactly that. That's all we can ask for.

Originally posted by Jimmy James

My preference would be for Brian to play just well enough to eke out a win so that Jay retains his job, but I am willing to accept a clear statement from Brian that he is the better man for the job if that's how it goes.

I have an issue with this statement. You want him to just be good enough to eke out a win? Are you a Dolphins fan or a Fiedler fan?

A Dolphin fan would want Brian to light it up and be the answer to our problems, wouldn't he? I can't fathom wishing mediocrity for your team's QB. :rolleyes:

Re: Re: Message from a Fiedler supporter

Originally posted by Pagan

I have an issue with this statement. You want him to just be good enough to eke out a win? Are you a Dolphins fan or a Fiedler fan?

A Dolphin fan would want Brian to light it up and be the answer to our problems, wouldn't he? I can't fathom wishing mediocrity for your team's QB. :rolleyes:

I am a Dolphins fan who believes (yes, even after Griese "lighting up" San Diego's pathetic defense) that it is folly to even imagine that Griese is the better option for this team. It is therefore completely logical that my preference be Griese showing us that he is the exact sort of QB that I belive he is.

I think you know exactly the arguments I can trot out to support the line of reasoning I am using. The reason I support Fiedler is because I firmly believe that he is our best shot at making anything out of this year. If we're talking next year, I hope the Dolphins select an upgrade at QB who actually upgrades the position.

My point above was that I'm willing to accept Griese if he proves that he's the better man. He did no such thing in San Diego. My sincere wish is either that he stink up the Colts game so bad that Jay can save the day or that he does show us that he is the man to lead the team. My love of the Dolphins overrides my desire to be right about who the better man for the job is. The time to win is now, and I just hope that in the end we get to see that man take us into the playoffs (even if future events dictate that the man in question is Griese).

screw that, somebody needs to step up and TAKE the qb job, not win it by default

Originally posted by Phishstix
screw that, somebody needs to step up and TAKE the qb job, not win it by default

I think that we'd all like to see that. It just doesn't seem likely given the people we're talking about. The truth of the matter is that both of these guys have failed their teams in the past and that they're guys who no GM would actually choose as a starter in a perfect world. Like I keep saying, I'd be happy to be proven wrong about that...

Re: Re: Re: Message from a Fiedler supporter

I am a Dolphins fan who believes (yes, even after Griese "lighting up" San Diego's pathetic defense) that it is folly to even imagine that Griese is the better option for this team. It is therefore completely logical that my preference be Griese showing us that he is the exact sort of QB that I belive he is.
Just exactly why is it "folly" to think BG is a better option? Please....enlighten us.

I think you know exactly the arguments I can trot out to support the line of reasoning I am using. The reason I support Fiedler is because I firmly believe that he is our best shot at making anything out of this year. If we're talking next year, I hope the Dolphins select an upgrade at QB who actually upgrades the position.
What has he done in the last three years to prove this? Again, please enlighten us.

My point above was that I'm willing to accept Griese if he proves that he's the better man. He did no such thing in San Diego.
He didn't? What game were you watching? Fiedler played against three bad defenses so far this year. Houston, NYJ & a banged up NE team. He didn't escape ANY of those games without an INT.

Here's FACT. Last night was the first game since 2001 that two different Dolphin receivers caught TD passes in the same game. You call that getting the job done???

BG's passes were crisper, on target, and when he did misfire he didn't give the opposition a chance to make a play. Fiedler has at LEAST one pick in that game.

Want more proof? How often do you see Turner allow Fiedler to throw near the goal line lately. How about ZERO. BG tosses like crazy near the goal line. You think Norv trusts BG more with the offense? Damn straight.

My sincere wish is either that he stink up the Colts game so bad that Jay can save the day or that he does show us that he is the man to lead the team.
Make up your mind bro...your first post wanted him to "eke out a win", now you either want him to suck or be brilliant. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Jay "save the day"? I have news for you. If BG stinks up the Colt game badly, we'll be behind more than Jay could ever hope to bring us back. You have to have an arm to do that. Jay doesn't. Do some research, how many large deficits has Jay brought the Dolphins back from?

I think that we'd all like to see that. It just doesn't seem likely given the people we're talking about. The truth of the matter is that both of these guys have failed their teams in the past and that they're guys who no GM would actually choose as a starter in a perfect world. Like I keep saying, I'd be happy to be proven wrong about that...

I have one phrase to contradict that thought process....

"Steve Young in Tampa Bay..." 'Nuff said.

My love of the Dolphins overrides my desire to be right about who the better man for the job is. The time to win is now, and I just hope that in the end we get to see that man take us into the playoffs (even if future events dictate that the man in question is Griese).
So you say, but you seem unwilling to even let BG have a chance to be that man. Sorry dude, but it appears that your love of Fiedler outweighs anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what? It's just not worth it. I stand by what I have said. If you really don't know what the argument I'm going to make is, then you have done a really poor job of doing research to have an informed opinion on the matter.

I will reaffirm that my goal is to not have Brian Griese reduce the chances of playoff success from what we have with Fiedler. He can either do that by playing poorly enough to get Jay back in there or by proving that my analysis is faulty. What I dread is BG playing just well enough to continue this controversy, creating a musical chairs situation in Miami that ruins things for the team. That is my story, and I am sticking to it.

Edit to add: Comparing Steve Young in Tampa to Brian Griese in Denver is the single most outrageous thing I have read about the whole controversy. Do you have any idea how much talent Griese was surrounded with in Denver as compared to Young in Tampa?

Edit to add: Comparing Steve Young in Tampa to Brian Griese in Denver is the single most outrageous thing I have read about the whole controversy. Do you have any idea how much talent Griese was surrounded with in Denver as compared to Young in Tampa?

And do you realize how miserable BG was with Shanahan? You don't think that counts for anything? Then you don't know much about football.

You believe what you want bro. I'd rather go down in flames taking chances on the field and not playing timid than to keep Fiedler and play scared all year. That's exactly how this offense is run with Fiedler, play scared and play not to lose.

If you want to keep that up.....:rolleyes:

You haven't provided one fact as to why JF is better than BG, and you've conveniently avoided commenting on any of JF's shortcomings that I brought up, so you're right...it's not worth it to continue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually might be persuaded by that argument if not for the fact that Miami played the same way against San Diego in the 2nd half as they did against New England in the 2nd half. The playing timidly not to lose is Norv, not either QB.

Like I said elsewhere, the truth is that none of us really will know who is right about all of this until we see how it does work out...all of this arguing is fun, but it really is for nothing.

Back
Top Bottom