Message To Matt Burke | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Message To Matt Burke

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Please, for the love of God, can scrap the Wide9 and go with a more conventional 4-3. These smaller LBs do not need to be exposed to OL weighing 80-90 lbs more than them. Please help our players out and allow them to use the speed we added to their position to make plays.

I may be wrong but I thought the defense under Burke did not line up in a wide nine orientation nearly as often as with VJ. I think one of the well-known contributors to the forum provided stats backing that assertion up as well.

I do agree though

lack of talent and brains has been the problem on D not scheme. Maybe the scheme doesnt work, maybe it does. We wont know until we have players capable of running a high school defensive scheme.

Maybe that will be this year.

I also think we played less wide 9 last year than under Joseph anyway

Guess whose Wide 9 defense helped win a Super Bowl? Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz.

The same Jim Schwartz that Matt Burke coached under as an assistant.

Don't think it's the scheme necessarily that's been our problem.

Please, for the love of God, can scrap the Wide9 and go with a more conventional 4-3. These smaller LBs do not need to be exposed to OL weighing 80-90 lbs more than them. Please help our players out and allow them to use the speed we added to their position to make plays.

There are a few 4-3 variants being run in the NFL, and a lot of them run small WLB who can get washed out vs. the run. The Seahawks intend to use Griffin in that exact role. The trick is to recognize when that might happen and counter it with weak side help.

It's not a coincidence that the Phins have drafted Raekwon and Baker from Ohio State. I went back and watched Baker play against Penn State, USC, and Wisconsin. Ohio State not only doesn't protect him from OL, they actually encourage him to hit OL while blitzing to free up their front-4.

Baker was much more impressive than I expected at taking on blocks and maintaining his balance. He's also a very disciplined player within the scheme (which honestly prevents him from making more "splash" plays).

The thing I have really liked about the past couple of drafts is that they are drafting players who are strong at the things they will be asking them to do. Miami is not projecting Baker and Raekwon to being able to thrive in a system that doesn't protect them because they've already seen them do it at Ohio State.

CK made an outstanding observation on why we're possibly targeting Ohio St. Linebackers.

They don't protect their LB's. Unlike Roquan, Baker is surprisingly powerful for his size.

It's not a coincidence that the Phins have drafted Raekwon and Baker from Ohio State. I went back and watched Baker play against Penn State, USC, and Wisconsin. Ohio State not only doesn't protect him from OL, they actually encourage him to hit OL while blitzing to free up their front-4.

Baker was much more impressive than I expected at taking on blocks and maintaining his balance. He's also a very disciplined player within the scheme (which honestly prevents him from making more "splash" plays).

The thing I have really liked about the past couple of drafts is that they are drafting players who are strong at the things they will be asking them to do. Miami is not projecting Baker and Raekwon to being able to thrive in a system that doesn't protect them because they've already seen them do it at Ohio State.
I agree that he maintains discipline in his assignments. But I don't agree that his particularly good at taking on blocks. Look, I don't want to knock the guy. He has speed that you can not teach and gives effort on every play. Against RBs he is going to win those match ups and TEs he can hold his own, but OL are going to give him trouble in the NFL. When you watch him it seems he understands leverage, but when a OL has 80-90lbs on you most of the time leverage is negated.

Last edited:
I noticed that Raekwon McMillan is now listed at 248 lbs on the Dolphins website. One year ago at the Combine he was 240 lbs and in college he was 236 lbs. The trend is upwards. He's coming back from surgery. I don't know if he's put on a few pounds and needs to get slimmer or if he's put on some muscle in his upper body. I presume that the Dolphins training staff have tailored a specific plan for him and maybe it's to get a bit bigger.

Well...the Dolphins actually run a variety of front...Wide-9 being one, 5-2 Monster (why 3 safeties could be useful), Eagle, and Under front from time to time.

I believe the these will be flying to the football this year. We now have the speed to do it. We will need a good pass rush which I'm hoping Quinn will help with. The DT's will need to be on their game for everything else to work tho.

Guess whose Wide 9 defense helped win a Super Bowl? Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz.

The same Jim Schwartz that Matt Burke coached under as an assistant.

Don't think it's the scheme necessarily that's been our problem.

Please they were worse than NE in that Super Bowl. Made one play that NE didn't make. I couldn't believe how WIDE OPEN Patriots pass catchers were.

I believe the these will be flying to the football this year. We now have the speed to do it. We will need a good pass rush which I'm hoping Quinn will help with. The DT's will need to be on their game for everything else to work tho.
You spoke a mouthful bro....If the DTs can do their job and do it well this could work. We are built to play the 9 it's what we do best.

Back
Top Bottom