Miami Averages 26.4 PPG | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Averages 26.4 PPG

Dolph N.Fan

Active Roster
Reaction score
on 308.6 yards per game which is 29th in the league.

How is this possible?

Because Miami averages 14.3 ppg from defensive or special teams setups. I'm not sure where this number stacks up with the rest of the league but I would reckon it's probably top 5.

121 of Miami's 264 points is straight offensive points: Offense takes the ball after an opponent's punt or kickoff and they score a TD.

Miami has done that 18 times on the season

The rest of Miami's 264 points (143) has come via ST/DEF scores or setups (i.e interception/fumble for a short field). Please note they consider FGs as special teams scores as well all know. So they're part of the 143 point total regardless if they were off turnovers or not. XP's are included with the offense if they scored TDs after punts/kickoffs, included with ST/DEF if the TDs were followed by turnovers or return TDs.

Here's the game by game breakdown including the total yardage:

@NE 8/11 Miami points was set up by FUMBLE, 3 by FG. Miami outgained 357-269

VS BUF 22/28 Miami points were all by the offense with no setups, 6 by FGs. Miami outgained 523-410

@JAX 21/31 Miami points were all offense with no setups. 7 were set up by a FUMBLE, 3 by FG. Miami outgained 318-294

VS SEA 8/23 Miami points were all offense with no setups. 15 were by FGs. Miami outgained 441-415

@SF 21/43 Miami points were all offense with no setups. 7 by turnover on DOWNS, 15 by FGs. Miami outgained SF 436-259

VS NYJ 21/24 Miami points were all offense with no setups. 3 by FG. Miami outgained NYJ 302-263

VS LAR 28/28 Miami points were setup by: INT, FUMBLE RETURN, PUNT RETURN, FUMBLE. Miami outgained 471-145

@ARZ 21/34 Miami points were all offense with no setups. 6 by FGs, 7 by FUMBLE RETURN. Miami outgained 442-312

vs LAC 7/29 Miami points were all offense with no setups. 9 by FGs, 13 by BLOCKED PUNT, INTERCEPTION. Miami outgained LAC 280-273

@DEN 13/13 Miami points were 6 by FGs and 7 setup by INTERCEPTION

Just some information here so people can see just how truly effective the offense is when you look inside Miami's points on where they came from.

Offense is accounting for about 46% of Miami's scoring production. DEF/ST accounting for nearly 54% of the scoring just isn't sustainable.

How is this possible?

Because Miami averages 14.3 ppg from defensive or special teams setups. I'm not sure where this number stacks up with the rest of the league but I would reckon it's probably top 5.

121 of Miami's 264 points is straight offensive points: Offense takes the ball after an opponent's punt or kickoff and they score a TD.

The rest of Miami's 264 points (143) has come via ST/DEF scores or setups (i.e interception/fumble for a short field). Please note they consider FGs as special teams scores as well all know. So they're part of the 143 point total regardless if they were off turnovers or not. XP's are included with the offense if they scored TDs after punts/kickoffs, included with ST/DEF if the TDs were followed by turnovers or return TDs.

VS BUF 22/28 Miami points were all by the offense with no setups, 6 by FGs. Miami outgained 523-410

@JAX 21/31 Miami points were all offense with no setups. 7 were set up by a FUMBLE, 3 by FG. Miami outgained 318-294

VS SEA 8/23 Miami points were all offense with no setups. 15 were by FGs. Miami outgained 441-415

@SF 21/43 Miami points were all offense with no setups. 7 by turnover on DOWNS, 15 by FGs. Miami outgained SF 436-259

VS NYJ 21/24 Miami points were all offense with no setups. 3 by FG. Miami outgained NYJ 302-263

VS LAR 28/28 Miami points were setup by: INT, FUMBLE RETURN, PUNT RETURN, FUMBLE. Miami outgained 471-145

@ARZ 21/34 Miami points were all offense with no setups. 6 by FGs, 7 by FUMBLE RETURN. Miami outgained 442-312

vs LAC 7/29 Miami points were all offense with no setups. 9 by FGs, 13 by BLOCKED PUNT, INTERCEPTION. Miami outgained LAC 280-273

Just some information here so people can see just how truly effective the offense is when you look inside Miami's points on where they came from.

Offense is accounting for about 46% of Miami's scoring production. DEF/ST accounting for nearly 54% of the scoring just isn't sustainable.
Interesting, thanks for posting. This offense needs to be addressed in the offseason.

How is this possible?

Winning exactly like this isnt sustainable. But keep in mind everytime there are points that are annointed to SP/DEF setup, its a normal drive you're taking away from the offense. In the Rams game for example, the offense went almost a full quarter without having the ball...

Like others said it’s not sustainable. This offense has to carry it’s weight or we are cooked.

and with this oline play I don’t know that it can. The flags are out folks will Miami be able to overcome em and make a last 6 week run? Looking more difficult by the game

Tua needs to play a lot better and is going to need to take the next step sooner rather than later if we are to make the playoffs. He is 4 games into his career so I am not worried, yet, but by the end of the season he needs to show a solid improvement.

i agree. He’s got to show more.

Hence why Tua won’t have the numbers that 2-7-1 Burrow and 2-7 Herbert have. It isn’t needed in most games.
OK. You can ALSO say that's precisely WHY Tua doesn't have a losing record.

Beyond that the Win / Loss narrative is so lame.

It's a TEAM game.

How many Super Bowls did the greatest QB to ever play the game (ie Marino) win?

Just nonsense to keep harping on the W/L stat.

ESPECIALLY so short term.

i agree. He’s got to show more.
Not sure what people expect to see when Grant, who was 5th or 6th on the depth chart before the season, is our #2 WR. That means every other guy out there save Parker is a practice squad player. Our best RBs are a 7th round pick and a practice squad guy. Our OL will start (potentially) 3 rookies this week vs the Jets. I don’t think you could name 5 teams with a worse supporting cast on offense this season.

OK. You can ALSO say that's precisely WHY Tua doesn't have a losing record.

Beyond that the Win / Loss narrative is so lame.

It's a TEAM game.

How many Super Bowls did the greatest QB to ever play the game (ie Marino) win?

Just nonsense to keep harping on the W/L stat.

ESPECIALLY so short term.
But it makes sense to say Herbert should’ve been the picked based on what? If not W/L are we talking about stats? What have Herbert’s stats gotten the team? I’m not saying his being 2-7 is all his fault but he isn’t winning games more than he’s losing for them.

But it makes sense to say Herbert should’ve been the picked based on what? If not W/L are we talking about stats? What have Herbert’s stats gotten the team? I’m not saying his being 2-7 is all his fault but he isn’t winning games more than he’s losing for them.
Simple.

Individual performance is different than TEAM performance.

For example -- Walter Payton.

IMO best ever RB. Not really close. OK ----- go way back to Jim Brown.

Walter was unbelievably productive on a crap team for years.

With garbage OLs. His production did not equal wins.

Does that make him "less" of a player?

Individual performance. Does not automatically translate to TEAM performance.

In my opinion. Of course.

BNF

BTW my all time fav example of this @QB is Archie Manning

after that Steve Grogan. And then...

Back
Top Bottom