Miami Dolphin player cuts to 53 | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphin player cuts to 53

Joe Schad‏Verified account @schadjoe 16s17 seconds ago
Sounds like LB Trevor Reilly is going to be on Miami Dolphins' initial 53-man roster. Strong special teams contributor.
IMHO, his position is very tenuous. He is definitely the first LB to be bumped if/when we bring in another defense-contributing LB. He'd better make the most of the practice time he's got now, because only more injuries look to have him keep that roster spot.

Your point is well taken and perhaps correct. But remember that same depth that you've said sucks, Helped Miami win 10 games last year. I agree that it's expected that 1 or 2 UDFA make a roster every year. But in the case of the 2017 draft which was extremely deep on the defensive side of the ball, looks to have had some draftable players fall through the cracks. I'm not arguing against your view. I just believe that this years Miami's draft class and UDFA signees are the best they may have ever had. Time will tell. And to add to my point, I'm not sold on Charles Harris. I know others here may say I wear aqua and orange glasses, but it's unusual for a team to potentially have so many players make the team, after a 10 win season.

Disagree. I think they wasted opportunities to trade down in this draft and take multiple players that were projected for success like Foster and Willis. We turned down multiple offers for a late first and a second and didn't take full advantage of 22nd pick. Multiple fans, the majority of fans on the board would have handled the draft differently than the way Chris Grier went.

Disagree. I think they wasted opportunities to trade down in this draft and take multiple players that were projected for success like Foster and Willis. We turned down multiple offers for a late first and a second and didn't take full advantage of 22nd pick. Multiple fans, the majority of fans on the board would have handled the draft differently than the way Chris Grier went.
I'd love to know what the offers we received were.

They had a couple of trade offers from Atlanta and others for the 31st and their second I think.

There's no way of knowing where those guys would land without the benefit of hindsight. If they really wanted either of those players (would have preferred either, to be honest), they would have taken them with that pick. They rated Harris higher. Trading down would have risked that. And for what? Maybe a 3rd round pick depending on how far they dropped? That is especially true with Foster, as every team between us and Atlanta needed a LB. If he was the target, it would have been terrible to trade down. And this doesn't include teams that may have traded up in response to our trade down and grabbed either target. Only luck would have saved them (à la Tunsil).

And to be fair, people on here want to trade down every year. I honestly think it has more to do with hearing the Phins called more often on draft days so they can get their football fix before the long winter of offseason arrives.

There's no way of knowing where those guys would land without the benefit of hindsight. If they really wanted either of those players (would have preferred either, to be honest), they would have taken them with that pick. They rated Harris higher. Trading down would have risked that. And for what? Maybe a 3rd round pick depending on how far they dropped? That is especially true with Foster, as every team between us and Atlanta needed a LB. If he was the target, it would have been terrible to trade down. And this doesn't include teams that may have traded up in response to our trade down and grabbed either target. Only luck would have saved them (à la Tunsil).

And to be fair, people on here want to trade down every year. I honestly think it has more to do with hearing the Phins called more often on draft days so they can get their football fix before the long winter of offseason arrives.

Winter is here ...

Maualuga and Reilly made the team. Not one gasp, but two. Bet you can't guess where our weaknesses are on each side of the ball. But you better act like it came out of nowhere. Or else!

Winter is here ...

Maualuga and Reilly made the team. Not one gasp, but two. Bet you can't guess where our weaknesses are on each side of the ball. But you better act like it came out of nowhere. Or else!
They ignored the LB corps for years and this is the end result: zero depth. So when they FINALLY draft one and he gets injured...

On the bright side, they finally seem to recognize that you can't build a good LB corps with a bunch of late rounders and UDFAs...hopefully.

I'm old enough to remember when the draft was 12 rounds. There isn't a whole lot of difference between a 6th or 7th round pick and someone who would have been drafted in rds 8-9.
This concern because a few UDFAs made the team is overblown IMO. If a guy can play, he can play.
Jeff Cross was a 9th round pick and made a few pro bowls as a DE. Under the current system he would have been an UDFA.

I'm old enough to remember when the draft was 12 rounds. There isn't a whole lot of difference between a 6th or 7th round pick and someone who would have been drafted in rds 8-9.
This concern because a few UDFAs made the team is overblown IMO. If a guy can play, he can play.
Jeff Cross was a 9th round pick and made a few pro bowls as a DE. Under the current system he would have been an UDFA.
They would be smart to extend the draft to 12 rounds, keep 58 players on the roster and increase th PT by 2 players

They put all those picks into the Oline picks. Anyone notice suddenly we have some Oline players this year that are not just first rounders. About time

The Fins should be scouring through the Steelers, Patriots and Giants cuts immediately..................

Back
Top Bottom