Miami Dolphins’ Chan Gailey opens up for first time on Tua Tagovailoa, his offensive plan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins’ Chan Gailey opens up for first time on Tua Tagovailoa, his offensive plan

mrbunglez

Gator don't play no ****!
Club Member
Reaction score
Gailey returns to the Dolphins after three years away from game

When Chan Gailey decided to leave retirement and coach the Dolphins’ offense once again, he knew veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick would be the likely starting quarterback.

What Gailey did not know is which rookie quarterback Miami would select as the future of the franchise. He could not have been more thrilled about the selection of Tua Tagovailoa.

“You look at the success he’s had,” Gailey said of Tagovailoa’s career at Alabama. “Obviously he’s a very good leader. You take all those great players that they had at Alabama, it’s got to come together on the field. You can do all the coaching you want but when they walk out there on the field the players play.”

It seemed likely Miami would be able to secure Joe Burrow, Tagovailoa or Justin Herbert with the fifth overall pick. But Gailey really likes Tua’s tool box.

“You can see his leadership, his ability to throw the football, his touch, game management, all of that type of stuff,” Gailey said. “There were a bunch of good quarterbacks. We could have gotten one of several and we were very glad to get Tua.”

Because of a lack of on-field spring practice and a preseason and Fitzpatrick’s experience, and the season opener scheduled for at New England, it would be a stunner if Tagovaila were to win the starting job between Aug. 17 and Sept. 13.

Fitzpatrick has also operated Gailey’s offense with the Bills and Jets. On Saturday, Gailey also mentioned Tua’s continued recovery from a hip injury as a factor.

“He’s going to develop quickly or slowly depending upon how much he grasps the offense and how quickly he comes and how he develops as a football player,” Gailey said. “A lot of that’s based on health. And so there’s a lot of factors in there. I hope I have a big impact on it. But you don’t ever know about that. You have to see how fast and how well a player comes on and then you see what he does. We’ll treat him just like we treat everybody else.”

This is a theme for head coach Brian Flores. And it is a theme assistant coaches will repeat. Of course, Tagovailoa is not like everybody else. He is the fifth pick in the draft. And he is a quarterback. Thankfully, it is Tagovailoa who provides hope for the future and the greatest reason for excitement about upcoming training camp.

In Gailey, Miami is reaching back to the past. Gailey was Miami’s offensive coordinator under Dave Wannstedt in 2000-2001. And he spent the last three years mostly watching children and playing golf.

That all leads to the question of if or how Gailey’s offensive approach has evolved.

“Has it changed?” Gailey said. “The terminology is the same and some of the plays are the same. But I think it changed from Buffalo and New York because of personnel we had. And it’s going to make another change because of the personnel we have here.”

Gailey, like every coach, is striding for run-pass balance, versatility and flexibility.

One thing players and coaches who have worked closely with Gailey say is he is not rigid. Gailey is not rigid in scheme. And he is not rigid in terms of allowing his most talented players the freedom to make decisions within the game.

“The great receivers I’ve been able to be around through my years -- and I’ve been doing this for 40-something years now – they’re artists,” Gailey said. “They run a route, but they never paint the same picture twice because of the way the defender is, because of the route they’re running, because of the coverage... (When you) fit him in a box, that’s where you make the guy less of a player than he really is.”

Gailey, who is 68 years old and has coached at Florida, Troy State, Air Force, Denver, Birmingham, Samford, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Miami, Georgia Tech, Kansas City, Buffalo and New York, wants heavy input from his assistant coaches and he offers some unique perspectives.

“I want guys to be able to go out and be creative,” Gailey said. “I tell them, ‘You have to be where you’re supposed to be when you’re supposed to be there. But how you get there, that’s up to you.’”

One thing Gailey has never done is coach a left-handed quarterback such as Tua.

“It takes some mentally gymnastics on my part,” Gailey said.

My biggest thing with the offense is to see us get on a track to have a long term stellar offensive line. It’s going to take player development for Jackson, Hunt and Kindley. If it works out for all three our roster construction will have made tremendous progress.

If not, it will require more substantial resources to build the offensive line in the future, which will retard progress elsewhere and slow down the build.

My biggest thing with the offense is to see us get on a track to have a long term stellar offensive line. It’s going to take player development for Jackson, Hunt and Kindley. If it works out for all three our roster construction will have made tremendous progress.

If not, it will require more substantial resources to build the offensive line in the future, which will retard progress elsewhere and slow down the build.

Maybe I'm reading you wrong. It sounds like "player development for Jackson, Hunt and Kindley." That "and" sounds like you mean all three. And then there's "If not, it will require more substantial resources" which sounds like none of them work out. I'll be happy if two of them work out. May need one more OLman, but not "substantial resources"

Maybe I'm reading you wrong. It sounds like "player development for Jackson, Hunt and Kindley." That "and" sounds like you mean all three. And then there's "If not, it will require more substantial resources" which sounds like none of them work out. I'll be happy if two of them work out. May need one more OLman, but not "substantial resources"

Well what I was getting at is suppose that Jackson bombs (just a hypothetical, I’m not predicting it). We’d have to probably throw another first rounder at it at some point (almost assuredly not next year) which squanders a pick that could be used to get an impact guy at another position. A first would be an example of a substantial resource.

I wasn't aware of the glaring age gaps with our coaches. Looks like a mix of gamers and Pepperidge Farm...Gailey and the Oline coach should be nicknamed Bartles and James.

I do understand that Flores wants teachers with a wealth of knowledge, but I can't delete my last crass remark about how old they are...

I’m not really sold on Kindley at the NFL level. I don’t see him being more than depth until he can get in better shape. I think Deiter is the wild card this year. His biggest strengths are intelligence, vision and durability; his skill set is tailored to being a center. Hopefully he is the long term answer at C.

I’m not really sold on Kindley at the NFL level. I don’t see him being more than depth until he can get in better shape. I think Deiter is the wild card this year. His biggest strengths are intelligence, vision and durability; his skill set is tailored to being a center. Hopefully he is the long term answer at C.

I thought he looked super slow on the college clips I saw of him, although he’s extremely physical in a short area. But I heard somewhere—maybe here—that he lost a lot of weight in all the spring/summer training he was doing.

I thought he looked super slow on the college clips I saw of him, although he’s extremely physical in a short area. But I heard somewhere—maybe here—that he lost a lot of weight in all the spring/summer training he was doing.

I am hesitant to make the comparison, but he is almost a Larry Warford clone when it comes to size, athleticism and play-style. If he manages his weight, I think he has the potential to be a starting guard in the right system. He will most likely struggle outside of any kind of power blocking scheme.

Agree. OL guys we have drafted in the past Have not always developed. I wonder how jackson hunt kindley will work out?

Now that we have Tua nothing would make me happier than having a reliable and strong offensive line. It used to fire me up when we were strong up front.

I thought Jackson was a reach at 17. But, if you look at him, his feet are actually phenomenal. There is a lot to work with athletically there. I’d say he was inconsistent as a player but he did have the bone marrow donation for his sister.

I liked Hunt going into the draft. I thought guard all day. I wasn’t shocked we took him. There’s a physicality and aggression with him that I like. It’s interesting they are trying him at tackle. It’d be great if it works but I see a guard who could be a pro bowler.

Before the draft, I looked at both Georgia tackles and Kindley. I was taken aback by the selection of Kindley early on day 3 off a trade up. In the clips I saw his mobility was pretty bad. Like it popped off the screen. I don’t know that he could get agile enough in space to get on a smaller quicker target at this level. But he will absolutely blow you off the line in a tight space where’s he’s not asked to move. I’ve heard he’s lost some weight so perhaps he can improve his agility.

With all 3, though, it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks today. This story hasn’t been written yet. All 3 need considerable development. They have different attributes but we need the player development side to work this all out. If they do work out, they might actually complement each other well. The attitude of our line could get fixed once and for all.

This season needs to be all about the offensive line.

Hopefully we will see progress from all the new guys so they will know where they are going into the next Draft and Tua Time.

Back
Top Bottom