Miami Dolphins’ Kenyan Drake: It’s Time Nfl Rbs Get Respect They Deserve | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins’ Kenyan Drake: It’s Time Nfl Rbs Get Respect They Deserve

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
AR-190727968.jpg

DAVIE — Try as much as he wants to focus on the present, Dolphins running back Kenyan Drake isn’t blind to the future.

How could he be?

Not only is he entering a contract year, but when he looks around the league, he sees running backs asserting leverage in contract negotiations.

“They say that running back is a dime-a-dozen type of position,” Drake said of conventional wisdom that might be feeling a stiff-arm from elite backs.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sport...ake-its-time-nfl-rbs-get-respect-they-deserve

Drake couldn't be more wrong. It's time the NFL catches on to the fact that you don't pay running backs big money or draft them in the first around, especially high in the first round. San Diego and Dallas would both be stupid to pay Gordon and Elliot big money second contracts.

He may see the few "elite" backs asserting a bit of leverage, but he isn't anywhere close to to having that kind of leverage. In fact, I would suggest that he has almost no leverage at all.

Opinions vary widely here at finheaven. Some think he is garbage, while others think he has elite talent, but hasn't been given the opportunity he deserves.

In any case, I don't see any way he gets a monster payday with this team, or any other one, for that matter. RBs are just not looked upon that way by most franchises any more, and IMO, rightfully so.

That being said, I don't have a problem with what he said about other backs trying to get as much cash as they can. It's a tough sport, and a players career can end on any given play.

He’s just trying to create a market for himself.

Which should be expected.

He’s just trying to create a market for himself.

Which should be expected.
Perhaps, but proving it on the field would be a much more effective way to do that.

Like I said, and say about any player, i don't have any problem with someone getting all they can, while they can, particularly coming off their rookie deal.

i think he's looking at it like.. hey man if you catch the ball, run the ball, block in protection, return punts, etc you deserve some love no?

i think he's looking at it like.. hey man if you catch the ball, run the ball, block in protection, return punts, etc you deserve some love no?
Im sure that is how he, and many other players "see it".

The reality is a bit different though. It's a business, and "loyalty" takes a back seat to supply and demand economic principles. You are worth what tge market will bear for services.

Sometimes it works to a players benifit (Juwan James), and sometimes not, depending on circumstances.

I think we try to run the ball more this year, so he should get his chance to prove his worth.

Running backs just don't have the value they once did, it's just a fact. Most NFL teams want to run 2 or 3 guy's to try to keep them fresh and around for the push at the end of the season.

If your an elite Athlete and have a choice you may want to play a position that gets paid better in the NFL.

Juwan James is among the walking wounded (leg bruise) for the start of Denver's training camp. Sounds familiar

Back
Top Bottom