Miami Dolphins Likely To Pick Up Devante Parker’s Fifth-year Option | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Likely To Pick Up Devante Parker’s Fifth-year Option

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score

DeVante Parker should soon be under contract for another season. (Andres Leiva/The Post)

The Miami Dolphins are likely to pick up DeVante Parker’s fifth-year option.
Why?
Because it makes too much sense not to.
Teams usually exercise the option in cases where the player is not a total bust. And despite what you may think about Parker, he’s not a bust.
At least not yet.
If, as The Daily Dolphin believes will happen, Parker’s fifth-year option is exercised, it will be for about $9.5 million. The Dolphins could have made this move official as early as January 1, but have chosen to wait, and now must do so prior to May 3.
This money would be guaranteed for Parker only in the event of injury. Otherwise, Miami could walk away with no penalty. This is the same scenario Miami faced with tackle Ja’Wuan James, and the Dolphins picked up and kept his rights.
The way the fifth-year option is structured, it is totally in the best interest of the club.
Parker’s cap hit this year is around $3.5 million, placing him as the 60th-highest paid receiver in the league, according to Spotrac.
If Parker were to fulfill all his potential this season, stay healthy and maybe even make a Pro Bowl, it would have been nearsighted to not exercise the option to keep him on the roster for a fifth season.
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...to-pick-up-devante-parkers-fifth-year-option/

He is definitely living in a different Universe than me.

no-god-please-noooooo-16496000.png

I think the third line should read, "Because it makes too much sense for the Miami Dolphins front office not to."

FWIW, I don't think he's a complete bust. He's had his injury concerns, but shows flashes and I'm not opposed to picking up the 5th year since they really don't have anyone at receiver.

why not? they can always resend it after the season if necessary. in the mean time, hopefully he can stay healthy and finally realize the potential he has.

They should take the the 5th year option because if he hits 1000k yards this year they won’t be able to sign him for 9 million. If he doesn’t hit very close to 80 receptions 1000 yards, and 8 tds they should rescind it, and bid him farewell. With Jarvis gone he will have every opportunity to shine, but I’m not very optimistic of it happening.

as hard as I been on thill17. I think this wr should be out door next yr. if dez is not good so is he.

Still gets more chances. Only in Miami

What are they waiting for? I saw a bunch of teams pick up 5th year options on their players yesterday.

There was no good reason to not do this. The key is that if he starts to play near his potential and stay healthy this year that they decide quickly if they want to do a longer-term thing, play out the last year of the contract, or try to recoup value.

If he completely bombs, rescind the option.

this was a no brainer at this point. We'll see how he does this year

No brained move. Can always take it back or even trade him next year if he has a big year.

Back
Top Bottom