Miami Dolphins roster breakdowns, LB Kiko Alonso | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins roster breakdowns, LB Kiko Alonso

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score

usa_today_9659282.0.jpg

Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports
Looking back on the trade with the Philadelphia Eagles, getting Kiko Alonso and Byron Maxwell seems like pennies on the dollar now. Kiko bounced back in a major way in 2016, and one could argue that he was the only LB who made plays for the Miami Dolphins last year.
It’ll be an interesting debate where Kiko lines up in 2017. Does he return as MLB? Do we shift him outside to Will? Ultimately, it might be a moot point. The Miami Dolphins defensive coaching staff will find a way to get the best players on the field, and Kiko is one of our top 2 LB’s, in my humble opinion.
https://www.thephinsider.com/2017/7...-alonso-gif-video-tape-film-study-review-plan

This trade should be the one that defines last year, but instead on this forum more time is spent whining about the caroo mistake. After the benching Maxwell played like a true #1 and was the strength of our bruised secondary before his season ended in NY. Kiko was our 3rd best defender behind Suh, and Wake, and I doubt we make the playoffs with out him. Mike T got helped out by weed on this trade, but this trade couldn't have been better for us.

Although the Dolphins LB’s had questionable gap integrity at times last year, Kiko is disciplined in this department.

giphy.gif

Phinsiders, what do you think of this play? Is this horrible coverage by Kiko or did the deep safety fail at his responsibility (looks like Kiko is expecting bracket help, but the deep safety bites from Garoppolo’s eye/head manipulation)? It’s likely there’s a kernel of truth to both scenarios, but I’m curious how you guys and gals judge this play.

Bracket coverage?! Really? Yikes. Bracket coverage is a double team tactic which means two defenders are playing inside and outside on one receiver. This is not happening on this defensive playcall. There is no bracket coverage.

KikoNoHelpOverTopVsPats.gif

We show a Cover 2 shell and switch to Cover 3. You can see this as the SS rocks down and the FS rolls to the middle 1/3. If a receiver - and the first receiver to do so - passes vertically through your zone you must carry him up. There is no excuse for the hesitation here and Alonso must stay on top of the #2 or in the least stay in phase with him underneath, especially with his over the top help coming from the far hash. Instead K.A. gets KO'd for the TD.

Last edited:
Concerning the pick 6, seems that Joseph and Alonso weren't the only one to take advantage of Rivers as he was absolutely horrid at the end of games last year with 7 INTs in the 4th quarter for games within 7 pts.

DEvvyGZUIAAe3QH.jpg

Last edited:
So do you just love to bash on Dolphins, and pour over hours of game tape to help your cause? That's weird.

Kiko for sure wasn't perfect last season, and isn't an all pro, but he was the lone bright spot for Miami last year at the LB. He was asked to do to much,and had no supporting cast but put together a great comeback season. I can't wait to see what he does this year with more talent at DE helping the LBs, more talent next to him at LB, and Jones back supporting.

So do you just love to bash on Dolphins, and pour over hours of game tape to help your cause? That's weird.

Kiko for sure wasn't perfect last season, and isn't an all pro, but he was the lone bright spot for Miami last year at the LB. He was asked to do to much,and had no supporting cast but put together a great comeback season. I can't wait to see what he does this year with more talent at DE helping the LBs, more talent next to him at LB, and Jones back supporting.

I'd much rather read a thorough, tape supported argument that paints a negative picture than a lazy, regurgitated, agenda driven post by the few anti-Tannehill left on this site any day. You can feel free to agree or disagree with SOS but at least you know he's not parroting garbage found on YouTube or ESPN.

Concerning the pick 6, seems that Joseph and Alonso weren't the only one to take advantage of Rivers as he was absolutely horrid at the end of games last year with 16 INTs in the 4th quarter.

DEvvyGZUIAAe3QH.jpg

A nitpick: Rivers threw 9 of his 21 interceptions in the 4th quarter last year, 7 of those when the team was within 7.

I was about to say ^^^

You don't add the 2 4th quarters. 1 number represents the entire 4th quarter and then the other only is situational

It doesn't belittle your point. Rivers threw 7 of the 9 interceptions in close games. Rivers isn't very good is the outcome you should come away with

giphy.gif

Bracket coverage?! Really? Yikes. Bracket coverage is a double team tactic which means two defenders are playing inside and outside on one receiver. This is not happening on this defensive playcall. There is no bracket coverage.

KikoNoHelpOverTopVsPats.gif

We show a Cover 2 shell and switch to Cover 3. You can see this as the SS rocks down and the FS rolls to the middle 1/3. If a receiver - and the first receiver to do so - passes vertically through your zone you must carry him up. There is no excuse for the hesitation here and Alonso must stay on top of the #2 or in the least stay in phase with him underneath, especially with his over the top help coming from the far hash. Instead K.A. gets KO'd for the TD.

This post and this poster as expected are right on time.

I've heard his best attribute is shooting gaps as a weakside linebacker. Timmons should allow that to happen.

Remember the months of whining on this forum after we moved down five spots, while collecting two starters? It piped down a little bit after drafting Tunsil but all of the message board Nostradamuses thought the trade was off-the-chart crazy. Turns out we won the trade. Who knew?

A nitpick: Rivers threw 9 of his 21 interceptions in the 4th quarter last year, 7 of those when the team was within 7.

I was about to say ^^^

You don't add the 2 4th quarters. 1 number represents the entire 4th quarter and then the other only is situational

It doesn't belittle your point. Rivers threw 7 of the 9 interceptions in close games. Rivers isn't very good is the outcome you should come away with

Correct. I screwed that up.

That isnt bracket coverage thats kiko with his head in the backfield too long and as a result flat footed on the inside vertical vs outside leverage

Unless reshad is just going completely off script which I'd bet he's not bobby McCain does a poor job of presenting the bait to garrop there

It's a bait call bobby should freely give away the quick inside hitter both with his pre snap outside leverage and his post snap trail inside.

Kikos head is in the backfield so long cause he expects the ball to come out quick to the Edelman bait but the one thing he can't allow is to beaten vertically inside as he has no over the top help on the call.

That isn't an outside leverage call for Kiko as much as it is his heads in the backfield and as a result he loses inside contain post snap positioning wise

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom