Miami Dolphins roster, free agents, and salary cap for 2018

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Tannchise

Tannchise Banned Hammered

I wouldn't wait till 11, I move on up

2. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

Not really sure how that would work. Franchising him means $16 million is tied up against the cap immediately. That doesn't really help Miami. No one is going to sign him to a huge deal and give up much compensation as well. At this point, Miami has to know if they want him and if they have a chance to re-sign him. Tagging him probably hurts more than helps. He still holds the cards because they cannot trade him to a team he doesn't want to play for. He could just shrug and say sure, pay me the $16 million and I'll walk next year. Miami probably gets a third round comp pick by letting him walk this year. Tagging him with the intention of keeping him under the tag for 2018 is a non-starter. No way they pay him that much.

3. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

A few things: Brady didn't so much "win" the last 2 superbowls as Bevel and Shanahan lost them for Seattle and Atlanta!!! Just to put that into proper perspective.

I'd be okay with trading up for Baker Mayfield because that kid is a winner with the "It" factor who can inspire his teammates like he has at OK... but only because I'm concerned about Tannehill's knee giving out again, his former mobility being compromised, or another bad OL that caused him to piss blood for a few seasons and could finally do him in again (I blame Campbell's cheap shot for his ACL injury even more than the OL that first time).

Considering that even with the 30th ranked OL in 2016, from a clean pocket, Tannehill had the 4th best QBR (Prescott was 3rd and you know about Dallas' OL!), obviously a lot of FA and draft consideration should go to finally building at least an average, and a durable OL this off season IMO.

Liphinphan likes this.
  4. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Keep on mind as good as playing for $16 million on the tag sounds to Landry, he knows its just a 1 year deal and doesn't guarantee anything after it. He just watched OBJ suffer a horrible injury, he will try to seek as much guaranteed money as possible.

There is a great chance something can get worked out long term if he is tagged and its pretty typical that this happens. But their cap situation defintely doesn't help the situation.

Ideally he is already signed longterm before FA.

5. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

There is no denying that Mcdanials is a very good oc the way he mixes and matches these players and Crennel has been a good dc for Houston turning that defense into a top one when healthy esp considering how bad the offense has been at times. I would also give Patrica credit on the defense although that is BB forte it is not a star studded unit yet they have been very stingy on points the past two years. Comparing that to the combo of clueless Burke and journeying before 40 Loggains or even Clyde Christianson is a losing prop

6. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

No doubt. That's the limited positive Miami gains in tagging him. That said, tagging is a like a game of chicken and if Miami really wants to keep him they probably don't want to do this and risk being stuck with a disgruntled Jarvis. Use it as a last resort or as part of a tag and trade arrangement.

7. aquabob

aquabob A True Fan

I was referring to the Patriots assistants going on to become head coaches. Their track record is not exactly stellar. I don't think the Bill Belichek way has had much success outside of NE.

8. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

A QB that leads 5 straight scoring drives to end the Super Bowl didn't so much win?

Please. Trying to bring Brady down doesn't make Tannehill better.

9. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

Keeping Landry may equal Miami signing OBJ.

Keep him LOL.

10. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

He will be **** canned if the first one fails. I think he has his guy already here. We'll see!

11. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

I agree! The Patriots over come everything, including a front 7 loaded with Jags, because they have a super elite Coach, QB and TE. That's it! They will rout Tennessee Sunday if Brady plays like Brady. Teams also play right into their hands like they've never seen them play before.

For example, If I'm the Titans I fully expect the Patriots to make Mariota beat them with Matthews, Davis and Decker. They will key in on stopping Henry and likely double Walker or take him away somehow. Unless you believe you O-line is so superior to NE's JAG loaded front 7 that you're going to crush loaded boxes all day why not create a game plan to have Mariota come out firing to the WR's right out of the gates. Maybe you don't trust him but what are the alternatives. If Brady plays well this is how I see it going:

1. Titans receive the kickoff.
    2. 2 handoffs to henry into the loaded boxes, 3rd and 8-12
    3. Pass when everyone know it's coming 4th down.
    4. Punt
    5. 7-0 Patriots
    6. 2 handoffs to henry into the loaded boxes, 3rd and 8-12
    7. Pass when everyone know it's coming 4th down.
    8. Punt
    9. 14-0 Patriots.

and so one and so forth then Tennessee will know they have to throw, TO's will pile up and the game will be out of hand. IMHO, the Titans need to attack NE with the passing game right out of the gates, but they won't. Teams play right into their hands. If I expect this what do you think Bill B. expects?

aquabob likes this.
  12. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I was referring to them as coaches not as head coaches

13. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

I think the Titans are about to run stone cold into the fact that Mike Mularkey is not a very good coach.

14. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

What I read was about $33M with some expected cuts.... If we are keeping Wake, I would re-sign Hayes. He won't cost much and he likes it here. Sign Landry, Michael Thomas, John Denney...make James an offer ($5.5M average).

2018 Cap Hits (typically lower in first year)

Landry: $10M
    Hayes: $3M
    Thomas: $1.9M
    Denney: $1M

Total: $15.9M + $5M rookie cap = $20.9M

Take away another $5M if we can re-sign James.

$15M to fill out the roster and sign a few mid-tier FA's is about all we can do unless they want to cut Pouncey loose (recommended). No chance he plays two years in a row and he is in decline. Time to make a hard-nosed NE move and cut him unless he wants to take a pay cut. Nobody wants to pay him $9M for 10 games. He does not perform like the 6th highest paid center.

We also have to sign a veteran QB. I don't see any FA splashes this year. Thanks Mike (Branch, Alonso).

15. Stills&Landry

Stills&Landry A True Fan

Not as bad as Hyde's article on LBs but we already knew all of that. I don't think we cut James. You either trade him or resign him. Yes, it would be awful to carry him at >$9M but I rather that than cut him.

Now Pouncey I'd cut but apparently Gase won't.

16. raving

raving Starter

Not worth 11 million - let him walk - use your money else where - that 11 to 16 million dollars buys us a linebackers - a stable of them - it buys offensive linemen - again a stable of them.

I'm not into Landry - let him make his career somewhere else.

There are few receivers worth that $ and frankly IMO Landry is a somewhat slow slot receiver with a hot head that creates stupid penalties. If I'm coach he would have been traded already - I'd let him walk.

He's not that good folks - not into him at all.

Stills&Landry likes this.