Miami Dolphins: That time Jordan Phillips looked like Warren Sapp | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins: That time Jordan Phillips looked like Warren Sapp

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
broncos_dolphins_football_3-1.jpg

There are times Miami Dolphins defensive tackle Jordan Phillips flashes like Warren Sapp.
This is not an exaggeration. Look, there plenty of times we suggest Phillips isn’t making enough plays, doesn’t seem to exerting every ounce of effort, doesn’t seem capable of fulfilling his potential.
So credit when credit is due.
There are these plays, like a few Phillips made on Sunday in a rout of the Broncos, that open your eyes to his unique combination of size and speed. There are plays where Phillips powers past an interior offensive lineman and crushes a quarterback. Phillips did this in the third quarter on Sunday, dropping Trevor Siemian for a 14-yard loss.
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...time-jordan-phillips-looked-like-warren-sapp/

it's funny, the LB play and secondary look so much better when the run is stopped and there is pressure. doesn't have to be every play

We should at least be set at 1 position for next year with Suh, Phillips, Godchaux and Taylor.

Agreed we don't need to touch that postion. Suh is a little over paid in a sense, but he is fantastic on and off the field and we would be idiots to cut/trade him since no one is giving us much with that contract. I also liked how Branch played yesterday, we need to see more of that.

it's funny, the LB play and secondary look so much better when the run is stopped and there is pressure. doesn't have to be every play

Or the pass rush looks better when the secondary does a better job of keeping coverage tight. :)

Agreed we don't need to touch that postion. Suh is a little over paid in a sense, but he is fantastic on and off the field and we would be idiots to cut/trade him since no one is giving us much with that contract. I also liked how Branch played yesterday, we need to see more of that.

I would def never pay that much for anyone at that position, but with that contract he cant be traded and no value in cutting him so we are stuck. The one positive about Suh is that he is an ironman and never hurt (knock on wood). At this point I'd take a 20% reduction in skill for an ironman that doesnt miss games at any position.

It's the other way around, you can only cover so long in the NFL...with no pressure every secondary will get torn up no matter how good they are.

Not so.

A QB like Brady will neutralize a pass rush with short slants and screens if your secondary cant cover.

The both go hand in hand, and a big problem our D has had all season is giving huge cushions to receivers allowing QBs an easy outlet to avoid our pass rush.

Corners playing press effectively gives our D line time to get to the QB.

Jordan Phillips is a disappointment......period. These flashes of potential greatness is overblown and I personally think he is a career backup at best. If somehow he turns it on and becomes the next Suh I will humbly eat crow, but at this point he is what ever the hell he is..........average.

Sapp was a bit of a screwball but man, what a force in the middle...unblockable, relentless, quick and powerful. JP could only hope he is 75 percent of that relentless DT. And I hope too.

Back
Top Bottom