Miami Dolphins UDFA's signed. What's your opinion? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins UDFA's signed. What's your opinion?

Ray R

Club Member
Reaction score
Miami Dolphins UDFA's signed:

Benito Jones, DT, Ole Miss
Donnell Staley, G, South Carolina
Tyshun Redner, DE, Middle Tennessee State

Ray Lima, DL, Iowa State
Nick Kaltmayer, T, Kansas State
Kirk Merritt, WR, Arkansas State
Matt Cole, WR, McKendree University

Bryce Sterk, DE, Montana State

I don't really know these prospects, but I always like the kids from small schools. The UDFA's that make it are always seriously deficient in one trait, like size, and usually flew under the radar because they were at a small school. The other type are the ones who were so vile as collegians that GM's took them off their draft boards completely, but are the first to call them once the draft ends because they have obvious talent. You know, the wife/girlfriend abusers, repeat drug offenders, etc. Often they're kicked off their own teams in college. Those aren't the types I tend to get too excited about, even if they are good. But that first group, those are guys I can really get behind.

Turning over every rock. Mostly camp bodies, but you never know when you hit "pay dirt".

I would have to think there are a half dozen end of the roster spots up for grabs for guys the coaches see upside.

A lot of these small school guys may just need some good coaching to fulfill their potential.

Merritt's route running is lazy but watch his game film and the potential is obvious. If he's willing to work hard and be coached up I could see him developing nicely.

i really like that guy, Kirk Merritt. i think he will replace isiah ford and eventually make the team, worse case scenario on practice squad

The more I look at Benito Jones the more I fail to see what has some so confident he'll make the team. I know Miami needs a NT, but I just don't think he's the answer.

Very high on Benito's chances to stick. I thought we'd draft him.

Pure NT... two-down player only, and we just don't have a pure nose on the roster.
I think he has a shot too. Need a big boy like that

The more I look at Benito Jones the more I fail to see what has some so confident he'll make the team. I know Miami needs a NT, but I just don't think he's the answer.

He may not be... but before performing poorly at the combine... he was thought to be around a 5th round pick.

His job is to be short... and fat... and irritating.

And he is that.

He's the only NT on our roster.

I’d like to of seen them offer Trey Adams the OT of Washington. He had a bad season and combine but prior to his injuries had 1st round talent. They could have seen if he returns to his old form?

Back
Top Bottom