Miami Dolphins...what Is Our Legacy? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins...what Is Our Legacy?

BlueFin

Seer of Visions
Club Member
Reaction score
As we approach the 2018 draft...and we reflect on 18 years of futility post-Marino...I asked myself what was the common denominator minus Don Shula between the team I grew up with 1970-1999...winningest team in professional sports history, and the team we’ve endured 2000-2017?

And the obvious answer is hall of fame quarterbacking!

I like Ryan Tannehill...I hope he shocks the world like Drew Brees did after San Diego drafted(traded for) Phillip Rivers. But we must continue looking for the 3rd Dolphin hall of fame QB now in my opinion.

If this organization had persued that philosophy post Marino we would not have failed to draft 2-3 hall of fame QB’s in Drew Brees, Aaron Rogers and Matt Ryan.

In my opinion...if you don’t have a special QB...you keep trying to acquire it...period!

Id be all in on trading the farm to number one for Baker if he wasn't a head case. He’s got some flags Im just not comfy with even tho his comps are Russell and Luck.
If they stay pat they can get Rudolph who compares to Peyton and Ben, and that’s more than good enough.

I still think most of the fans that complain about the team year in and year out now would have been doing the same during most of the Shula years. Sure they would have loved going to three straight Super Bowls, winning two back-to-back and going undefeated. But we're kidding ourselves if we think the fans that spend so much time complaining now would not have complained about only going to one Super Bowl with Marino. Playing second fiddle to the Bills during their string of Super Bowl appearances. People tend to forget we had a 6 year period in Marino's prime years where he won 49 games, 8 per season. Not putting that all on Marino's shoulders, but it's not like several of those years were much different than where the team has been for most of the past decade, somewhere between 7 and 9 wins.

And as far as Brees goes, he was ok for part of his time in San Diego, but his career took off during his second stop with the Saints. Who is to say he would have been even as good as he was with the Chargers during his time in Miami. Maybe he wouldn't have turned out to be Hall of Fame Brees playing in Miami.

Last edited:
The Patriots were a joke for a long time until they weren't. The Broncos shift from being a joke, being an even bigger joke by drafting Tim Tebow, to winning a Super Bowl with awful quarterback play and going back to being a joke in no time at all. The Dolphins might be the same type of team starting this year, in three years or whenever, as could the Jets, the Bills or whoever. Nobody likes to admit it, but it's all pretty much luck, or who is the best at making educated guesses.

It takes more than a great qb. Aaron Rodgers won 4 playoff games during the Packers Super Bowl run and is 5 and 7 in the playoffs not including that great year. I'm sure nobody would debate a claim that Rodgers has been one of the best qbs of the past decade.

My favorite one is Kirk Cousins the highly sought after free agent target of the winter has a career record of 4 and 19 against teams that finished the season above .500 yet everyone wants to say he's a better qb prospect than Tannehill because he's a winner.

Sometimes good or even great qbs can be held back by the team they play on.

Last edited:
obviously, if we have a hall of fame qb, we will be capable of beating anyone. Our legacy is having a great 4-3 defense. If you combine that with a hall of fame caliber qb, then you compete. Here’s to hoping we draft a hall of famer tomorrow!

Playoff Record Summary

All-Time Playoffs: 41 Games, 20-21
Wild Card Round: 12 Games, 6-6
Divisional Round: 17 Games, 7-10
Conference Championship: 7 Games, 5-2
Super Bowl: 5 Games, 2-3
Perfect Season; Shula high winning %;Marino best QB ever(IMO)

This is our legacy.

Well...I'd say this is:

s-l300.jpg

Plus this guy:

miami-dolphins-dan-marino-photo_u-L-F65HM30.jpg

I still think most of the fans that complain about the team year in and year out now would have been doing the same during most of the Shula years. Sure they would have loved going to three straight Super Bowls, winning two back-to-back and going undefeated. But we're kidding ourselves if we think the fans that spend so much time complaining now would not have complained about only going to one Super Bowl with Marino. Playing second fiddle to the Bills during their string of Super Bowl appearances. People tend to forget we had a 6 year period in Marino's prime years where he won 49 games, 8 per season. Not putting that all on Marino's shoulders, but it's not like several of those years were much different than where the team has been for most of the past decade, somewhere between 7 and 9 wins.

And as far as Brees goes, he was ok for part of his time in San Diego, but his career took off during his second stop with the Saints. Who is to say he would have been even as good as he was with the Chargers during his time in Miami. Maybe he wouldn't have turned out to be Hall of Fame Brees playing in Miami.

The difference is the legitimate belief in a team with a QB we understood was special. I believed for those many years Marino was capable of elevating his team to SB status, he actually played in the game. We haven't had that same level of trust or belief as a fan base for decades.

At this point I just want something consistent to winning.

The game is so heavily QB skewed now. That said I do think Ryan is good enough to bring us a Lombardi.

At one time, certainly when I became a fan, the Dolphins were one of the league’s premiere teams. They were the only team with a perfect season, the only team with three straight AFC championship victories in a row, the only team with five conference championships, the most successful team on Monday nights, etc. Today most of those accomplishments have been eclipsed and the team hasn’t even played in a Super Bowl in almost 35 years.

These days a Dolphins fan talking about past championships is as silly as a Lions fan in the 90s talking about their NFL championships during the 1950s. It’s all ancient history.

The longer we are from the 70s and 80s, the more that legacy is forgotten and people remember the ineptness of the the last 30 years.

Sorry to our older Fin Fans, but time marches on and that era becomes forgotten by all except the most diehard of NFL fans.

Back
Top Bottom