Miami needs another WR, why? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami needs another WR, why?

I would say for a rookie, Chambers definitely exploded onto the scene. You also have to understand that in Gailey's system using 3 and 4 WR sets, no one WR is really meant to be the goto guy. Its all dictated by coverage. Thats why we had 3 WRs with numbers that looked fairly similar. Chambers per catch led the league but I also remember Peerless Price leading the league in yards per catch and I dont hear him being called one of the most explosive WRs out there. The one thing I think that separates Chambers is how much he gets thrown at against how many catches he gets....it seems like everytime he's being thrown at he's open AND he catches the ball.

In my opinion with the injuries and the fact that it is a new offense, it certainly would not hurt to give Michael Westbrook a call and have him come in for the minimum. We normally roster 5 WRs, even with Chan Gailey's 3 and 4 WR sets we rostered 5...and right now those 5 figure to be Gadsden, Chambers, McKnight, Ward, and Simmons (maybe Ogden instead). Now, remember that up to this point, of those 5 guys, only McKnight has been at the QB Schools working out and getting the offense down. Chambers had a residual ankle injury, Gadsden had shoulder surgery, Ward is still injured, and Simmons hasn't graduated yet. So you've got a pretty big problem of possibly not having your WR corp have Turner's offense down...not to mention a big chance that some of these guys will be facing injury during the season. To me, it makes sense to stick a 6th guy in there like Westbrook who already knows Turner's system, to get in there and show the other guys more what it looks like, and to be injury insurance.

Plus you never know when a guy like Westbrook will come in and look great and give you yet another receiving option.

Originally posted by grooves12

Your definition of exploding onto the scene and mine, are quite different then. 800 yards and 40 catches is nt an explosion to me. That is average "good" receiver stats. David Boston "exploded" last year (although his steroid usage helped that), Randy Moss exploded his rookie season, Marvin Harrison did it 3 years ago (three years after he entered the league and was a consistent 800 yard performer.)

He needs to get somewhere in the range of 1200+ yards in order to be in the "explosive" category IMO.

Coming from a Rookie who didn't get much playing time until injuries and who didn't start a game last season....I say that stats are pretty good.Now how much better his stats will be now that he is the #1 receiver for this upcoming season...I can't wait to see Chambers play this season......

Do we NEED another WR...no...BUT it would be nice to have a solid WR for depth, but there is no one out there right now that I would say is worth picking up (maybe Moore) and Westbrook is not the answer... We are better off trying to land a FA next year or finding another Chambers in the draft next year because we are pretty much set at the WR position for this season:cool:

I kind of agree on the reciever position being pretty much set now. I was a big proponent of signing CC, but, that is another story. I wouldn't sign "just another guy" for the sake of bringing someone in at this point. We have our core group already, it just needs to be detemined all the individual roles for everyone.

I would like to keep 6 WR, just so a Baker, or Johnson could make the team, but, I really see that as being a longshot, at best. I think that Ogden will not make the cut, and either Simmons, RB, or AJ will handle the return duties. Simmons could be a practice squad possibility, but, then you would have basically wasted a draft pick this year.

So, there are still lots of nice "mini battles" to be played out during traing camp. Not to mention, the dreaded injury factor rearing it's ugly head.

As a 5th round player I dont think its a good idea to let Simmons go through the waiver wire to the psquad...now maybe a 7th round guy like Leonard Henry, he would make it past waivers.

I still am concerned about the fact that 4 of the 5 WRs projected to make the roster, haven't even practiced in ANY offensive drills to get the playbook down. And now Chambers has a "sore" hamstring, Ward is still out for a while longer, and Gadsden is still out a while longer...and Simmons was just projected as the 5th guy anyway. If we dont have enough WRs with Norv's system down by the time season or even training camp starts, we could be in trouble. Training camp is supposed to be the time when you fine tune stuff...not when you're supposed to learn it for the first time.

Definitely easier than QB, definitely harder than RB. RB just has to hit the holes. An offensive coordinator usually works around a runningbacks strengths as opposed to a runningback learning a whole new style of play. Marshall Faulk doesn't come to a team with an offensive coordinator that wants to turn him into Jerome Bettis, and Jerome Bettis doesn't come to a team that wants to turn him into Marshall Faulk.

Its all about timing in Norv's system, and timing as a WR has to be fine tuned. The WR is 2nd only to QB to learn in an offensive system.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
As a 5th round player I dont think its a good idea to let Simmons go through the waiver wire to the psquad...now maybe a 7th round guy like Leonard Henry, he would make it past waivers.

I still am concerned about the fact that 4 of the 5 WRs projected to make the roster, haven't even practiced in ANY offensive drills to get the playbook down. And now Chambers has a "sore" hamstring, Ward is still out for a while longer, and Gadsden is still out a while longer...and Simmons was just projected as the 5th guy anyway. If we dont have enough WRs with Norv's system down by the time season or even training camp starts, we could be in trouble. Training camp is supposed to be the time when you fine tune stuff...not when you're supposed to learn it for the first time.

Well Leonard Henry actually impressed the coaches ....If any one should get cut(Rookies only) is has to be between Simmons and Lowe....It doesn't matter if he is 7th round pick or not news travel fastaround the league and some one will surely pick up Leornard.......Henry and Minor returning kick offs and one of them returning punts..Marion is getting older that why I think Henry and Minor should be returning kick offs...I see Simmons in practice squad and Odgen being cut..Robert Baker last chance and he will make this time around....I hope to see Baker as the 5th receiver...

Last edited by a moderator:
"It doesn't matter if he is 7th round pick or not news travel fastaround the league and some one will surely pick up Leornard......."

I'm sorry but thats just not true. Unless the coaches outright go to other teams and recommend the guy, they are not going to believe what they haven't seen. Thats why I said unless he tears it up during the preseason like Autry Denson did for the Buccaneers one year. He tore some stuff up in preseason and as a result when the Bucs tried to waive him, the Dolphins picked him up off waivers cuz we had actually SEEN him go against other teams. But right now, no scouts for any other NFL team are allowed to attend our minicamps or training camp. And considering most teams have their own tough decisions to make about who to cut and who to keep, no team is going to make room on their active roster for a 7th round pick who is cut by his team just because word of mouth from fans says that he looked pretty good in minicamps without pads on.

I think you guys all have good points,,I guest we all want the new guys to add to this team in some capacity and hope they make up for what we lacked last year..i.e. a good punt and kickoff return man..another weapon receiver wise. Depth or starting ability to our OL...If these guys prove to be able to do that during training camp and they all look good and ready..Then who do you cut? Odgen, Robert Edwards, spriggs, Todd, Nails, A. Cernaio,
gamble, who.. Plus D. Brown and S. Sheilds are looking good in NFL Europe and may push for a roster spot themselves and they have pads on now. So who, if all these people play the preseason and look like contributors, do we cut? I agree, the round a person is choosen doesn't matter if he comes in and can play..Zack was a 5th rounder,,Tom Brady of NE was a 6th rounder.
and look at where both are. A player is player no matter the round. They got drafted, that says a lot in itself.

To answer your question as of now I'd roster 9 OL...but that means cutting someone who I dont want to cut, Anthony Cesario or Andrews. I think Cesario's a really decent RT and Andrews has some potential.

LT: Dixon, Smith
LG: Perry, Nails, Andrews
C: Ruddy, McKinney
RG: Searcy, Nails
RT: Wade, Cesario

But that would be 10, so if Cesario's the one that looks bad, then Brent Smith backs up swing tackle both LT and RT (he's capable). If Andrews looks bad, just subtract him from the roster, and both McKinney and Cesario are capable of playing interior.

As for RB to me it sounds fairly simple nobody is gonna pick up Leonard Henry off waivers unless he goes into the preseason and just lights up the field. In which case, we'd have to make a roster spot for him to keep him. So we keep 5 RBs as usual, Ricky, Minor, Edwards, Konrad, and Dyer, with Henry on the psquad.

At WR we usually keep 5 and right now that'd probably be Gadsden, Chambers, McKnight, Ward, and Simmons. We might keep 6th if its for special teams purposes so unless we sign somoene that would probably be Ogden.

At DB I believe we usually keep 9 if we're prospectin' which we usually are...and I think right now that would be Madison, Surtain, Freeman, Marion, Fletcher, Wooden, Gamble, Ray Green, and Omare Lowe. I realize Scott Shields is doin some great things but somethin tells me that Wannstedt's gonna want to keep a Wanny draftee over Shields but I could be wrong.

Linebacker I think we usually roster 7. Thomas, Greenwood, Rodgers, Hendricks, Russell, Galyon, and....Symonette?

Lets see DL it looks like we have Chester, TimBo, DG, JT, A-O, LittleBo, Burnett/Williams/Coleman, Grant, and Haley. Thats 9.

TE we got Weaver, Mayes, McMichael, and Perry looks like he makes it for STs.

Lets see 3 QBs + 5 RBs + 9 OL + 5 WRs + 4 TEs + 9 DL + 7 LB + 9 DB + K + P = 53 Men.

Did I forget a position?

Leon Searcy, who was a Pro Bowler before two major injuries, could be a great pick up if he stays healthy. Now I am going to stop here, and say the "if he stays healthy" thing applies to every player we have.

As of right now, Leon IS healthy. To go along with that, Tim Ruddy was a Pro Bowl player just two seasons ago. Todd Wade is and will continue to be a very effective right tackle, it was injuries last season that hampered his grwoth as a player. Dixon, well, we all know the type of player Dixon is. He was back at it durin gthis last mini camp, working with the team on drills, and doing fine.

The only question mark is Brent Smith, and if he can overcome his knee, and play up to the level he is capapble of, I don't have any qualms with this line.

Wade, Searcy, Ruddy, Dixon, Smith. You put Ricky Williams behind those five guys, and I say we get 1400-1500 yards out of him.,

Back
Top Bottom