Miami Sign QB Joe Germaine | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Sign QB Joe Germaine

I'm guessing this is purely an insurance policy in case Griese is not signed. Or, maybe he's expected to battle with Sage for the 3rd spot. But, I'm guessing the former moreso than the latter.

Its depth I think. If he makes the team, it is as the 3rd QB. I see it as training camp fodder.......

Former Ohio State QB, 3rd rounder of the Rams. Just cut by Cincinnati, but would be a solid back-up in our system. Much more suited to the shorter range passes that we use, our hybrid west coast offense than the chuck it and run approach in St Louis and the somewhat bomb's away attitude in Cincy.

draft bio

NFL Draft: Joe Germaine, Quarterback
Ohio State/ 6:00.7-203/ Mesa, Arizona

Multi-dimensional field leader who has the heart and mindset that gives him an intangible advantage over others...Shows terrific timing and accuracy...Classic drop-back passer with a deft touch and amazing accuracy, especially on deep throws...Reads defenses extremely well and has the ability to go to a second or third receiver when his primary receiver is covered ...Likes to stay in the pocket, but can throw on the run and is athletic enough to scramble out of trouble when he needs to...Recently timed at 4.69 in the 40-yard dash...Despite only 13 games as a starter, he ranks third on the school’s career-record list with 6370 yards passing, fourth with 741 pass attempts & 439 completions and second with 56 touchdown tosses, topped only by Bobby Hoying’s 57 scoring throws (1992-95)...His pass completion percentage of 59.2 broke Hoying’s previous Buckeye record of 58.0%.

1998 Season...All-Big Ten Conference first-team selection...Took over the starting reigns for the first time in his OSU career as he earned Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year honors ...Tied or set eight school records, including most consecutive 200-yard passing games (9), 300-yard passing performances (7) & an average of 282.5 passing yards-per-contest (regular season)...Completed 230 of 384 passes (59.9%) for 3330 yards & 25 touchdowns with only seven interceptions, topping the previous OSU season-records of 211 completions for 3269 yards by Bobby Hoying (1995) & 350 attempts by Art Schlichter (1981).

West Virginia...Threw for 301 yards on 18 of 32 chances with a pair of scores, including a 39 yarder to David Boston.

Toledo...Added 3 scoring tosses with a long of 37 yards to Dee Miller.

Missouri...Connected on 19 of 25 throws for 211 yards.

Northwestern...Gained 343 yards on 19 of 35 passes with 3 touchdowns, including 38 & 31 yarders to Boston.

Indiana...Followed with 31 of 45 passes for 351 yards & 3 scores.

Iowa...Hit on 18 of 30 throws for 319 yards & 3 touchdowns, hitting Boston with 54 & 17-yard scores.

Michigan...Torched the Wolverine secondary for 330 yards on 31 of 56 passes with 3 touchdowns, including 43 & 30 yarders to Boston.

Texas A&M (Sugar Bowl)...Closed out his career with 21 of 38 passes for 222 yards & a score.

1997 Season...Shared QB duties with Stanley Jackson...Despite not starting any games, he ranked third nationally in passing efficiency with a 160.4 rating, trailing only UCLA’s Cade McNown and Washington State’s Ryan Leaf...Completed 61.4 percent of his passes, just missing Bobby Hoying’s school record of 61.9 set in 1995...Also just missed Hoying’s season passing efficiency record (163.43) with a rating (including the Nokia Sugar Bowl) of 151.88 ...Threw for 1,847 yards & 16 touchdowns on 129 of 210 attempts.

Bowling Green...Tossed a 29-yard scoring pass to Dee Miller, hitting on 6 of 10 tries for 100 yards.

Missouri...Hit 8 of 12 tosses for 186 yards with 5 & 28-yard touchdowns to David Boston.

Penn State...Threw for 378 yards (second-best game total in school history) on 29 of 43 passes with a pair of touchdowns, including a 35 yarder to Miller.

Northwestern...Completed 8 of 12 attempts for 177 yards & 3 scores with a long of 35 yards to Boston.

Minnesota...Gained 211 yards on 17 of 21 tries (81.0%) with 3 touchdowns.

Michigan...Hit Boston with a 56-yard touchdown pass.

Florida State (Sugar Bowl)...Completed 10 of 26 passes for 173 yards & a 50-yard score to tight end John Lumpkin.

1996 Season...Appeared in 12 games, starting vs. Michigan in the season finale...Finished with 1193 yards & 15 touchdowns with only four interceptions on 80 of 147 passes (54.4%).

Rice...In his first game for the Buckeyes, he hit on 5 of 10 passes for 164 yards & 3 touchdowns, including a 51 yarder to Michael Wiley.

Pittsburgh...Followed by completing all 8 pass attempts, good for 139 yards & a pair of scores.

Penn State...Added 2 more touchdowns, including a 34 yarder to Demetrius Stanley.

Illinois...Completed 11 of 14 throws for 180 yards & 3 scores, including a 12 yarder to Stanley.

Indiana...Connected on 15 of 27 tries for 167 yards & a score.

Arizona State (Rose Bowl)...Hit on 9 of 17 attempts for 131 yards & a pair of touchdowns.

1995 Season...Did not play...Spent the year on the scout team.

1994 Season...Originally recruited by Arizona State as a defensive back, but chose to attend Scottsdale (Ariz.) Community College...Completed 231 of 356 passes (64.9%) for 2729 yards, 18 touchdowns & only five interceptions...Set a national junior college-record by completing 40 passes vs. Arizona Western.

High School...Despite not becoming a starter until midway through his junior year, he set Mountain View (Mesa, Ariz.) High career records with 3782 yards passing, completing 59% of his throws for 39 touchdowns...Hit on 123 of 209 attempts for 2081 yards & 23 scores as a senior... Lettered three times in baseball as a shortstop...Drafted by the Colorado Rockies coming out of high school.

Personal...Sport & Leisure Studies major...Son of Joe and Phillis Germaine...Father played college basketball at Idaho State...Would like to coach after his football career is over...Born 8/11/75...Resides in Mesa, Arizona

He's almost sure to be cut in training camp if we sign Griese. The front office seems to like Rosenfals and they will stick at least another year with Fiedler as the starting QB.

Germaine would have a good shot of beating Rosenfels out. I'm not sure why theer is so much hype on Rosenfels. This is a guy who threw more picks than TD's his senior year and couldn't beat out Shane Matthews or Danny Wuerffel in Washington.

Ooh he was clearly better the Matthews and Wuerffel in the preseason in wash.. but spurrier wanted to stick with his boys, and he paid for it.
of course we know better then anybody that preseason doesn't mean too much.

suprised we signed him considering we also signed Lon Sheriff and Josh Blankenship yesterday.

I guess one of those 2 will be cut soon. Germaine is a good #3.

Sage had a great pre-season and there was talk he might start due to his out performing all the QB's in D.C.

Then they trade him? He was by far the best they had in camp that year.

Originally posted by Boomer
Germaine would have a good shot of beating Rosenfels out. I'm not sure why theer is so much hype on Rosenfels. This is a guy who threw more picks than TD's his senior year and couldn't beat out Shane Matthews or Danny Wuerffel in Washington.

My brother is a big Ohio State fan and when he was at OSU I saw him play alot......He's a good athlete. Kind of reminds me of a poor mans' Steve Young. He is an athlete playing QB, not a pure passer playing QB.

Back
Top Bottom