Miami signs long snapper Sean McDermott | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami signs long snapper Sean McDermott

Never heard of him. Good Signing??? I guess...

Well that boy better get his butt in gear and start snapping about 300 balls a day. His timing with Royals needs a lot of work. Thats something you don't want to mess up. Dropping a pass is one thing, but dropping the ball for a punt is another and it's bad...real bad.

Here's some info I gathered about him:

He's 6-4, 250 lbs -- technically a TE. He's played on the Eagles, Bucs and Texans. He's 26 and started all of last season as long snapper for the Texans. He worked as a defensive coach with the Eagles for a bit too.

Can anyone find some Houston message boards and see if they can remember any long-snapping problems in 2002?

Do the Texans even have a board? I'll go look.

I've posed the question on the best Texans board out there. Will post the link when they start answering.

I also posted a message on the HoustonTexans.com message board, and I'll post here once I get a reply.

Anyone else notice the blurb about Battaglia being excused from practice because he's pondering retirement??

Looks like another spot might be opening up.

Here's one reply:

"McDermott was kind of a surprise release to many of us. We drafted a deep-snapper in the 2003 draft. I think that they cut McDermott to give him a chance to catch on with another team. He did a good job last year with no major snafus. The Texans just seem real high on Chance Pearce, although he botched one last night."

Ok, I did some indepth searching. Here are some of the quotes I've seen, and there aren't many out there.

"Sean McDermott, who got mixed reviews last season, was released after minicamp." posted July 3, 2003
"consider that McDermott just got beat out by a 7th round pick"
"Other than a few punt blocks, I can't recall any mishaps. Don't know if you'd blame that on McDermott or not"
"McDermott is expected to make the team as a deep snapper, so he really shouldn’t even be considered a TE "
Basically from what I'm seeing is that the Texans signed their 7th round draft pick and let McDermott go.
McDermott is a 3 or 4 year veteran so I feel a little bit more comfortable with that.
Just hope he can work on that timin and he and Royals/Stemke click.

I don't like seeing Dixon getting an MRI for his ankle. We are not to deep at LT. They need to bring a Veteran LT now and Marco better get on the ball and decide quickly so we can get a TE in here.

Originally posted by Muck
Anyone else notice the blurb about Battaglia being excused from practice because he's pondering retirement??

Looks like another spot might be opening up.

Is that's what going on, I keep seeing excused for personal reasons..He's thinking about retiring?

Great, just what we need. This long snaping thing is very important and we need to take care of it. Last year we had Royals not do very good and now we lose Perry.Our special teams seem to be jinx!

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom