Miami traded up to 19, currently on the clock | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami traded up to 19, currently on the clock

oh yeah, BPA right? Good 'old vernon carey? sheesh...

I just don't understand moving up to Carey....from all I've heard we could have traded down and still landed him late in the first. If they had made the move early on to secure Andrews, I would have been all for it....but this move was a rush reaction in my book. Grove or Smiley is just as good as Carey and would have been there later on for sure....its just another bad move in our attempts to shore up the OL in the offseason.

dean_siu said:
I just don't understand moving up to Carey....from all I've heard we could have traded down and still landed him late in the first. If they had made the move early on to secure Andrews, I would have been all for it....but this move was a rush reaction in my book. Grove or Smiley is just as good as Carey and would have been there later on for sure....its just another bad move in our attempts to shore up the OL in the offseason.

Carey is not the same as Smiley or Grove because he can also play OT, not just OG. I'm sure that ability made his value jump a tad because Andrews is gone and Carey MAY be rated as the next best OT on the board. I'm sure someone was looking at him, likely NE IMO. If it took a 4th rounder to keep them from getting who they wanted, I'm glad we did it. Carey isn't a bad selection.

FinzManiac said:
Booooooo!! Move up 1 spot for a 4th round pick? What the hell were they thinking?

Maybe they were thinking he was not only the best player on the board, but that he also played a need position?

Just guessing though.

FinzManiac said:
We could have picked up a comparable player and not wasted a 4th round pick on it.

Who is the comprable player at RT that we could have picked up?

OG had some players that were close, but they may have felt Carey's versitility at OG and OT placed him at a higher value. I'm not familiar with any OT's that were rated anywhere near 20 overall after Andrews. So who is it that you think can play RT that is worth a pick at 20?

First off Carey is a guard....not a tackle. He played tackled his senior year...but guard previous to that. He IS a better GUARD than a tackle. So who is saying he will be playing RT for us? We wouldn't pay for Damian Woody yet we'll spend a 1st and a 4th round pick for an OG who played medicore at best at tackle.

I don't think it was worth what we gave up for it....plain and simple.

Miami Beats New England for Carey
April 24th, 2004
According to WQAM, the New England Patriots were offering their 4th round pick to move up to the number 19 slot. They were ready to select Vernon Carey had they moved up. The Miami Dolphins though offered their 4th round pick and the Vikings accepted because it was higher.

Back
Top Bottom