Miami's 2004 Offseason Analysis by MaraxusKA | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami's 2004 Offseason Analysis by MaraxusKA

MaraxusKA

Practice Squad
Reaction score
2004 Miami Offseason Analysis
by MaraxusKA

I posted this over at the MDBW a little bit ago, and I thought I'd post it here and see what you think. Enjoy!

QUARTERBACK
This is obviously the biggest Miami concern. We can clearly assess that something needs to be done with this position. Last year, the QB unit completed roughly only 55% of their passes for 17 TDs and 19 INTs... Many can root such a problem to constant pressure due to the lack of an O-line, but the unit was riddled with injuries, and has potential to do well when healthy. Although both Fiedler and Griese were hurt, neither were hurt at the same time, so we can't root the problem to injuries. The most likely change that will happen is to draft Philip Rivers in the 1st round. The guy played extremely well in NC State and also at the Senior Bowl. His lack of a solid delivery could be a big enough concern for him to last until the 20th pick.

However, another move Miami could make is to sign a veteran QB for a limited amount of money. Mark Brunell immediately comes to mind. He should have a chance to start if he were to sign with Miami, while Fiedler/Griese could be backup and mentor for Rivers, along with Brunell. By the time Brunell is done with Miami, Rivers should be ready to take over. The only thing in the way from this happening, though, is the fact that Washington is negotiating a trade for Brunell. If this happens, Miami could try for Drew Henson. He won't be the QB he could've been a couple years ago, but he still has the skills needed. Whether he can employ those abilities to Miami or not is the question mark that should be answered.

Another name to keep an eye on is Patrick Ramsey. With Gibbs seemingly wanting to win NOW in Washington, he may not have enough room for Brunell or Ramsey, and could end up with Washington looking for offers for him. Miami could end up being interested in him.

RUNNING BACK & FULLBACK
There's really no reason to touch this area. Ricky Williams is our guy, no question marks. Travis Minor is a very capable back-up that can run when needed. Rob Konrad is still a great blocker that can be useful in the passing game, but needs to work on keeping healthy. Onward!

WIDE RECEIVER
This is another area that could see some switching, as well. I personally see no reason to, but if the organization can find a way to fix this area without spending too much money, then more power to them, eh? Chris Chambers is obviously going to be back. With a better QB/better O-Line, whichever you prefer, he is just about ready to have a breakout season. If Miami can fix their offense well this offseason, expect him to reach quadruple-digit yardage and beyond.

The question lies in the rest. I expect James McKnight to be let go. He's making the most money out of any Wideout in Miami, and he really hasn't done too much for us this year. We could save a good amount of money, possibly a million, by releasing him. Derrius Thompson could also be a target for cutting, as well, but I think he should restructure his contract and get another chance. I also would like to see Gadsden become the No. 2 Slot receiver, putting Thompson at the 3rd spot to take some pressure off of him and maybe utilize him for more yardage.

If a team takes Rivers before Miami gets to their pick, then they should use it on a Wideout, since the 1st round of this year's draft is filled with talented ones.

TIGHT ENDS
Randy McMichael is obviously going to stick with us. What Miami may want to do is get another TE in here that can specialize in blocking with the line, which will help balance their blocking out when McMichael runs routes.

OFFENSIVE LINE
Now comes the other problem.

Many of our offensive woes could be targeted at Fiedler/Griese, however many could also point at the Offensive line. The unit just did not do well last season. Fiedler and Griese faced plenty of pressure and could not sit in the pocket comfortably. But we also must note that our two best blockers, Mark Dixon and Jamie Nails, were both nagged by injuries. The main focus is to get these guys healthy to play next season, and to keep Dixon from retiring on us.

Do we sign another lineman? Miami should sign at least one. I would like to see both Tim Ruddy and Todd Perry to be cut, clearing out a potential $3 million from payroll. Tim Ruddy would be replaced by Seth McKinney, who has enough experience to take on the Center role, his natural position. The RG position will possibly be addressed, but I honestly don't know who Miami would be looking for. The last position if RT, but I think Miami might try to re-sign Todd Wade. He's a good guy with more potential than some give him credit for. If they don't re-sign Wade, they can save money by looking for a RT in the middle rounds of the draft.

What would I like to see our line look like next year? Mark Dixon and Wade Smith can take turns at LT, since Dixon has been riddled by injuries and Smith needs more experience. Jamie Nails has done great at LG in the past, so he should be placed there, but if the team finds too much injury trouble with him, he could be cut as well. Seth McKinney at Center. I'd like to see a late-20s veteran RG that isn't worth too much to take on the role in Miami, and Todd Wade to take on RT, if he indeed signs back on. This would definitely be a improvement, if not the best one.

There is also a possibility going around about Miami would want to look at Damien Woody, former C at New England. I would love to have him, and if Miami can get under the cap, he would certainly take over the Center job. But that still leaves the RG position unanswered- Perhaps McKinney can switch over.

DEFENSIVE LINE
The wild card here is Ogunleye. He is looking for some big money this offseason and Miami has too many worries to fit his bill. Miami has potential to get a 1st and 3rd round pick out of him, and few teams are likely to take that deal on. This would definitely help Miami with the cap. However, this leaves Miami with a big problem on the Defensive line, as well. Jason Taylor had a lot of pressure taken off of him with Ogunleye on the other side. Next year, both guys could go into the season with a ton of respect by opposing teams, leaving less men running through Miami's coverage, making it easier to make big plays. David Bowens would take over should Ogunleye leave Miami, but he's definitely not as effective.

So what does Miami do? As much as I hate to say it, we will probably have to get rid of Ogunleye. There is not enough room to re-sign him and improve our offense significantly, unless we make other cuts that could end up hurting us. David Bowens is young and can be effective if we give him more experence at LE, since we're already paying him quite a bit to stay here.

Our next stop is Defensive Tackle. Tim Bowens and Chester/Zgonina should anchor the middle as usual next year, but the unit isn't exactly flourishing in future potential. =) Miami will probably look to drafting a DT within the first 3 rounds by at least next year to put someone under these guys.

LINEBACKER
No questions with Middle linebacker... Zach Thomas is our man. Assuming Hendricks doesn't come back, we'll just put some other average-at-best MLB to take his spot.

Outside linebacker, however, is different. Although it doesn't look as if it will need help immediately, it will soon be a big problem in the years ahead. Seau may not be around in 2 years, and our strong-side LB Morlon Greenwood isn't exactly the best option, either, even if we do re-sign him. Eddie Moore may be given the chance to take over the strong side, however he has no previous NFL experience after being injured all season last year.

So now what? Miami may look to drafting a weak-side linebacker in the next two drafts, and it could be their option if Rivers is taken and there are no suitable Wideouts left when Miami picks 20th. This will allow Seau to have a replacement if he gets injured or retires in the next 2-3 years.

SECONDARY
This also has the potential to be a problem in the near future. Patrick Surtain is a proven CB, but only has two years left on his contract, so he will have to re-sign pretty soon, most likely for the same big money he's already getting. (Hopefully he can agree to a pay-cut to help the team) Then there's Sam Madison, who is the core of a complex situation. He's been underachieving for two years now and is still making more money a year than any other player on our squad. I wouldn't be surprised if Miami puts him on the trading block and gets some good draft picks or a solid replacement for his services, or just cut him and use the money on another impact player. (Chris McAlister?) The only problem with this would be whom to replace him with if he is traded. Jamar Fletcher sure as hell won't take over. Drafting a CB may be our best choice, but seeing how Fletcher turned out, Miami may not take that route again. Lastly, I think Miami should re-sign Terrell Buckley to remain our nickel CB. He did exceptionally well for us last season.

As much as people want to get rid of Brock Marion, I don't see him going anytime soon. His salary is little compared to Madison and he's signed on through '06, which leaves a lot of room for grooming a Safety under him. He wouldn't save us that much money if we got rid of him, but he may still restructure his contract. Sammy Knight should resume his role at Strong safety, but we definitely need another safety to make up for the lack of speed. Arturo Freeman may not be back next season to fill that role.

SPECIAL TEAMS
To simply put it, we need a kick returner. I wouldn't mind Miami drafting someone in the 3rd or 4th round just for this position. They haven't returned a kick for a TD in a long time, let alone having a guy that can get them to good field position. Charlie Rogers didn't do well filling the role last year. Travis Minor may do the bidding next year if we don't focus on this during the offseason... he's been solid anyways.

Olindo Mare's going to be back, obviously. Yes, he has struggled last season, but he's still got the potential to kick. He's the best option we got, and there's no reason to waste cap space on a competing kicker.

SUMMARY
I expect Miami to look first at QB and O-Line. Those are our glaring problems. Once both those situations are as addressed as they can be this year, next areas we look to are our WR and OLB positions. Helping both areas have potential to make the team significantly better, as well. The team also has to look ahead at what problems Miami will face at OLB, CB, and D-Line in 2-3 years, so some middle-round and late-round draft picks this year could be used on these positions to see what we can do for now. To help us out, maybe some of our defensive players can restructure, especially Madison, Surtain, or Taylor.

Whatever happens this offseason, though, let's all just hope that Miami does what it needs to do this offseason and takes us deep in 2004.

~MaraxusKA

Re: Re: Miami's 2004 Offseason Analysis by MaraxusKA

Originally posted by dolphan39
:welcome: a-board MaraxusKA - incredible first post....

you should, however, study the team's cap structure and FA statuses before making such detailed analysis.

here are 2 great resources (selfless promotion):

http://www.finheaven.com/seasonal/freeagents.php
http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=57

for example, McKnight will likely be cut. Nails and OG are UFA....

Don't worry, I have taken that into account. I just examine the possibilities of Miami's moves this offseason, so not everything is going to happen in one season. McKnight is definitely going to go.I've already mentioned the possibility of both Nails and Gadsden being gone, as well.

The team is 17 million over the cap, so many cuts will take place, especially on the offensive line.

(I also wrote this a week ago, so if some statements I made are recently inaccurate, my apologies. ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
minus the cap issues, a good overview all in all. I personally don't think the QB issue is our biggest problem (as I've said before) but I do believe it should be upgraded....and as it is mainly a one-man job....it will hopefully be the easiest to do. I think we're a solid #2 WR and 1-2 Oline guys away from having a MUCH improved offense...and a new QB would be nice for a late x-mas present :)

good analysis Maraxus, but the Dolphins have already made their biggest offseason blunder, so new player personnel may not get it done anyways.

Originally posted by CirclingWagons
good analysis Maraxus, but the Dolphins have already made their biggest offseason blunder, so new player personnel may not get it done anyways.

Thanks. :D

You're right, the Marino thing was just ridiculous on Wayne's part. Let's hope he hires a guy that can take the ugly bag of snakes and roll 'em out straight for us.

Originally posted by MaraxusKA

Thanks. :D

You're right, the Marino thing was just ridiculous on Wayne's part. Let's hope he hires a guy that can take the ugly bag of snakes and roll 'em out straight for us.
I was referring to Wanny being extended;)

Keeping Wanny was the stupidest offseason move by any team in the league. He has failed for the last 4 years to get things done he should have been fired last year with the talent the dolphins has had.

The T.E. Position is fine. You forgot about Donald Lee.

I disagree with you re: Our need for Outside linebackers. U forgot to factor Corey Jenkins in the equation.

Nice write up though. :)

Originally posted by Noland
Keeping Wanny was the stupidest offseason move by any team in the league. He has failed for the last 4 years to get things done he should have been fired last year with the talent the dolphins has had.

I beg to differ. I don't think Wanny is a godsend nor the best coach in the NFL but he is a lot better then a lot of them out there. I still would like to see someone show me how Dave lost more games for us then the players (I've asked this repeatedly the past month but no one has answered and I really don't care as I don't think it's possible). Maybe it's his fault we have the players we do....but he always put us in a position to win more often then not.

Losses:

due to players

Houston: defense (quoted) thought it was practice
NE/home: Mare - 2 opportunities to win by a FG
Titans: defense - allowed 2 scored on 2 opening drives forcing a shootout which we're not designed to win....where were they?
Philly: Defense - 24 missed tackles

due to coaching/players:

NE/away: lucky ref call on the FG. Poor playcall from Norv, McMichael missing a couple blitzes, bad throw by Jay for an int.

due to coaching.

Colts: outcoached, outplayed....but we still could have won. Ricky misses a chip on Freeny which allow him to sack BG in the closing minutes barely 10 yards from a TD.

uh.....where didn't Dave put us in a position to win?

I see....our QB that sucks that isn't making 10-15 mill a year is supposed to compensate for everyone else screwing up on the team? If so.....we need to find a REALLY expensive QB and drop some players from the defense so that the QB can compensate for even worse play from the rest of the team.

Back
Top Bottom