Miami's Missing Identity | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami's Missing Identity

Aqua4Ever04

Active Roster
Reaction score
We really haven't had one since the early 2000's. That ball control offense with a strong running game and stout defense only got us so far, but at least we knew exactly what we were.

Ever since then, we've sort of been waffling around, staying right down the middle.

This column explains how important that is, three options Miami has in terms of choosing an identity, and how each one could be fulfilled all in this one off-season.

https://www.lockedondolphins.com/miamiidentity/

Following a comprehensive playoff beatdown in Pittsburgh, Adam Gase, Mike Tannenbaum and Chris Grier took to the podium for the end-of-season press conference in January 2017. Together they preached continuity, rewarding your own, and assured fans, and media members alike, that a clean bill of health would lead to another step forward.

So why did this unit endure so many hardships in 2017? There are three reasons:

• Big contracts given to unreliable players at key positions
  • Inability to make in-game adjustments and adapt packages
  • Bad offense equals a tired defense
The encouraging news is that two of these are immediately fixable. The in-game adjustment is something this staff has acknowledged and already made steps towards repairing. Bringing over Tony Oden from Detroit signals the willingness to incorporate more defensive backs, combating the poor third down defense.

Really good article, although it seemed like pretty much what we all think on this board. 2016 was a pretty good identity after the beginning of the season. We had a power runner in Jay that helped Tannehill not have to pass every down. We had Albert and Tunsil on the left with a good overall job by the o-line to protect Ryan. The front 7 wasn't the best, and Kiko in the middle was much better than outside Kiko.

How can anyone say there is no identity? Clearly the Dolphins' identity since 2000 has been incompetence and mediocrity.

These responses are hilarious. What's the saying, "life would be tragic if it wasn't so funny."

Replace life with Dolphins fandom.

Good article. I agree that it feels like we are a couple pieces away from a signature D...if we continue to see growth in young players and key veterans dont slip.

We're a couple pieces away from being average. On top of that we are committing a crazy number of penalties, pre snap and otherwise. We better build through the draft and we better instill some discipline in these players. No more Cutler's, Thomas's or Timmons, good riddance.

We really haven't had one since the early 2000's. That ball control offense with a strong running game and stout defense only got us so far, but at least we knew exactly what we were.

Jimmy Johnson's problem was that he placed little value on the QB position while in Miami. IMO, they need to go back to what Jimmy built, AND add a good QB who can make all of the throws. Imagine having a tough, hard-hitting physical defense, a dominating running game, and a Marino-esque passing game; the AFC East would belong to Miami again! Johnson ignored the QB position, Ireland refused to draft talented offensive skill position players early in the draft, and Philbin/Gase believe in finesse rather than tough, physical, old-school football.

Jimmy Johnson's problem was that he placed little value on the QB position while in Miami. IMO, they need to go back to what Jimmy built, AND add a good QB who can make all of the throws. Imagine having a tough, hard-hitting physical defense, a dominating running game, and a Marino-esque passing game; the AFC East would belong to Miami again! Johnson ignored the QB position, Ireland refused to draft talented offensive skill position players early in the draft, and Philbin/Gase believe in finesse rather than tough, physical, old-school football.

This post reminds me of my least favorite statement ever muttered by anyone associated with the game of football.

"What can Trent Green do that Jay Fiedler can't?"

Even still, the Wannstache wasn't the worst coach we've ever had.

These responses are hilarious. What's the saying, "life would be tragic if it wasn't so funny."

Replace life with Dolphins fandom.

I refuse to make this team my life!

Just kidding. I spend at least an hour a day visiting this website to talk about the Dolphins. :(

Back
Top Bottom