Miami’s Offensive Line Play Needs to Improve | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami’s Offensive Line Play Needs to Improve

Canuck

Starter
Reaction score
Before I get to the subject of this thread, allow me to say that I’m very pleased with the OL’s overall improvement made. It is however, not up to the standards of Super bowl destined teams and the Trifecta knows it. IMO, only LT and LG are set for 2009 and beyond. That means the following positions will need to be addressed.

C. Perhaps Al Johnson will serve as Sparano’s center of the now and immediate future (not sure if he’s a FA after this year) as I think we can all agree Satele is a nice player but perhaps better suited to play guard (which we heard when he was drafted my Mueller). Satele simply is not strong enough at the point of attack for the likes of Kris Jenkins, Vince Wilfork and Marcus Stroud.

RG. That leaves Samson Satele and Donald Thomas to duke it out for the starting RG spot next year with the “loser” being the top reserve for both guard spots. Satele’s versatility perhaps is best suited as a back-up at guard and center.

RT. Vernon Carey has looked average at best this year. I think he’ll command a salary far greater than his production warrants and it won’t come from Ireland and Co. And with no one on the roster currently capable of replacing Carey, I see a top draft pick (2nd, 3rd or 4th) being used here.

So in summation, if we’re going to realize this offense’s potential…..especially in the run game, we need to make improvements on 60% of the OL for ’09. I look forward to seeing just that take place…..

I am surprised at our inability to line up and run the ball. No we aren't as inept as we were last year, but With Ronnie being 100% healthy, and a healthy Ricky.. we should be able to run the ball all day long. Pass protection has been good. Chad had some good time on that pass to Martin.

But damn... let's run that ball!

Ronnie is still hesitating at the line a little bit but I agree. Mostly there are no holes in the running game. After a great outing against the Rams, they really stepped backwards this week. Unfortunately, I hope they don't go to far the other way and run too much against KC. I'd like a nice balanced attack with 4-5 TD drives combining good running and passing.

Before I get to the subject of this thread, allow me to say that I’m very pleased with the OL’s overall improvement made. It is however, not up to the standards of Super bowl destined teams and the Trifecta knows it. IMO, only LT and LG are set for 2009 and beyond. That means the following positions will need to be addressed.

C. Perhaps Al Johnson will serve as Sparano’s center of the now and immediate future (not sure if he’s a FA after this year) as I think we can all agree Satele is a nice player but perhaps better suited to play guard (which we heard when he was drafted my Mueller). Satele simply is not strong enough at the point of attack for the likes of Kris Jenkins, Vince Wilfork and Marcus Stroud.

RG. That leaves Samson Satele and Donald Thomas to duke it out for the starting RG spot next year with the “loser” being the top reserve for both guard spots. Satele’s versatility perhaps is best suited as a back-up at guard and center.

RT. Vernon Carey has looked average at best this year. I think he’ll command a salary far greater than his production warrants and it won’t come from Ireland and Co. And with no one on the roster currently capable of replacing Carey, I see a top draft pick (2nd, 3rd or 4th) being used here.

So in summation, if we’re going to realize this offense’s potential…..especially in the run game, we need to make improvements on 60% of the OL for ’09. I look forward to seeing just that take place…..

Yes..., i expect a C on day one in the draft I really do..., we play NY and NE four times a year total maybe 5 we need to invest in our run game

Back
Top Bottom