Miami's Position Grades (Defense) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami's Position Grades (Defense)

colmax

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Since I posted an offensive one, I figured "What the heck!"

Again, this is purely IMO.

Cornerbacks
Will Poole is obviously out for the year. The biggest question will be if anyone steps up. I think it is time Howard should play up to his paygrade. He's getting starter money. I like the Daniels pick-up, mainly because he's played with Saban in the past and knows the type of D that will be run. This is where Daniels has a leg up on the others. I think he will be a decent player, but I hope he doesn't get thrown to the wolves this year. Honestly, though, I do not think Saban will put a player in a position to fail. Mario Edwards was awesome in college, but has played waaaaay below expectation. He's there for nothing more than depth. Let us hope there isn't a major injury to Madison.
*Grade - C

Defensive Line
The interior line is aging faster than I don't know what. Chester and Bowens are way past their prime, but are undeniably solid when healthy. I would not mind Traylor, if for nothing more than depth. Kevin Carter was a nice addition in that he can play in or out. He's also never missed a game in ten seasons. This says plenty for his preparation. He should be solid for Miami. This interior line needs depth. Let's hope that Bowens and Chester remain healthy. Adding another player for depth and rotation for the interior will be a plus. Jason Taylor should have another solid year. Vonnie Holliday was a very good pickup also. The Matt Roth pick was amazing! I cannot wait to see what he can do on the field.
*Grade - B-

Linebackers
This is an interesting bunch. Miami has the ageless wonders in Seau and Thomas, but both have obviously lost a step. Thomas should again get 100+ tackles. Seau and Thomas together will give great leadership pointers to the future of Miami's LB corps. Channing Crowder is a player, but his past injuries may come into play. What happened to Eddie Moore? Vonnie Holliday can also play the LB spot, and I think he will do just that depending on the defensive scheme. I like this group.
*Grade - B+

Safeties
I cannot honestly grade this bunch. Tebucky Jones is the only player that comes to mind. Some are saying Daniels could play the S position, as he did in college. I just do not know enough about this group to give a grade.

I think that Miami's D will do well in Saban's scheme. Miami used to play "May the best man win" D, but with the plethora of variations of Saban's scheme, offenses should no longer be able to pick them apart later in the game.

i think the d-line deserves an a and the safties a c-, linebackers b+ and cornerbacks c

colmax said:

Cornerbacks
Will Poole is obviously out for the year. The biggest question will be if anyone steps up. I think it is time Howard should play up to his paygrade. He's getting starter money. I like the Daniels pick-up, mainly because he's played with Saban in the past and knows the type of D that will be run. This is where Daniels has a leg up on the others. I think he will be a decent player, but I hope he doesn't get thrown to the wolves this year. Honestly, though, I do not think Saban will put a player in a position to fail. Mario Edwards was awesome in college, but has played waaaaay below expectation. He's there for nothing more than depth. Let us hope there isn't a major injury to Madison.
*Grade - C

Defensive Line
The interior line is aging faster than I don't know what. Chester and Bowens are way past their prime, but are undeniably solid when healthy. I would not mind Traylor, if for nothing more than depth. Kevin Carter was a nice addition in that he can play in or out. He's also never missed a game in ten seasons. This says plenty for his preparation. He should be solid for Miami. This interior line needs depth. Let's hope that Bowens and Chester remain healthy. Adding another player for depth and rotation for the interior will be a plus. Jason Taylor should have another solid year. Vonnie Holliday was a very good pickup also. The Matt Roth pick was amazing! I cannot wait to see what he can do on the field.
*Grade - B-

Linebackers
This is an interesting bunch. Miami has the ageless wonders in Seau and Thomas, but both have obviously lost a step. Thomas should again get 100+ tackles. Seau and Thomas together will give great leadership pointers to the future of Miami's LB corps. Channing Crowder is a player, but his past injuries may come into play. What happened to Eddie Moore? Vonnie Holliday can also play the LB spot, and I think he will do just that depending on the defensive scheme. I like this group.
*Grade - B+

Safeties
I cannot honestly grade this bunch. Tebucky Jones is the only player that comes to mind. Some are saying Daniels could play the S position, as he did in college. I just do not know enough about this group to give a grade.

I think that Miami's D will do well in Saban's scheme. Miami used to play "May the best man win" D, but with the plethora of variations of Saban's scheme, offenses should no longer be able to pick them apart later in the game.
Good Post. I think those grades are pretty fair and accurate. For safeties, I think Tebucky Jones should be a great fit at SS which just leaves us at FS which is our only problem with young unproven guys like Tillman, Bell, Bigby, etc. etc. I would personally grade our safeties as a C- to D+. There's also the chance we could pick up Lance Schulters or another Veteran FS come June 1st cuts, so we may not be that worse off. Overall thought I agree your grades. I would like to say maybe D-line should be a little higher but until we get some help at DT (with TimBo and Chester's health in question), I'm afraid not.

i say CB should pan out ok- B-
S- i dont know if tillman can take the starting role- C
DL- if can stay healthy will be amazing B+
LB - I think will be one of the best groups we have had in years also looking into the future... Thomas and Seau will groove the youngins well - A

still one of the better Ds in the league. If not for the young guys than for experience.

You forgot Roundtree at Cornor back, hope the dude stays healthy this season.
T. Jones is a lock. but Tillman, Bell, Akins will have to fight it out for the other starting spot and Bua has moved back to safty. The fins do have talent at the safty pos and is not a huge concern of mine. LB are the one A I do see. Seau, Thomas, Spragan, Crowder, pope, Moore That means Corey Jenkins, Winston Taylor wont be making this roster. Roth can play LB as well and I would expect to see him and JT playing LB Before Holliday is put there. JMHO

SS - B
FS - D+, I'm not thrilled with having Tillman as our FS but as I have never really seen him play he can prove the world to me and I'll be thrilled.

i thikn you have to seperate our DL to DT and DE

cause DE should get A range
DT should get C range...
LB - B
CB - C
S - C

a lot of question marks with CB depth and S experience... we'll see how it pans out...

colmax said:

Cornerbacks
*Grade - C

Defensive Line
*Grade - B-

Linebackers
*Grade - B+

Safeties

Vonne Holliday playing LB? :eek: :roflmao:

colmax said:

Cornerbacks
*Grade - C

Defensive Line
*Grade - B-

Linebackers
*Grade - B+

Safeties

If Vonnie Holliday plays more than zero snaps at LB we are screwed

colmax said:
Vonnie Holliday can also play the LB spot, and I think he will do just that depending on the defensive scheme.
colmax, is it possible that you meant Matt Roth (or possibly even Jason Taylor or David Bowens) could also play LB spot instead of Vonnie Holliday? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom