Mike Ditka tells 'Men's Nite Out' he'd still trade whole draft for Ricky Williams | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Ditka tells 'Men's Nite Out' he'd still trade whole draft for Ricky Williams

What dumb *** no wounder he doesn't have anthing to do with a NFL team anymore.

[SIZE=+2]Truthfully, was it such a bad deal?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]http://www.drafthistory.com/articles/article23.html[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]Cost Analysis of Ditka's[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]Ricky Williams Trade[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]by Ron Marthia, March 26, 2003[/SIZE]

In 1999 the New Orleans Saints made a much maligned trade with the Washington Redskins that brought an odd couple together--Mike Ditka and Ricky Williams. Washington's then-general manager Charlie Casserly gave up the fifth selection in the first round of the 1999 draft that Mike Ditka used on Ricky Williams for all six of Iron Mike's picks that year (1-12, 3-71, 4-107, 5-144, 6-179 and 7-218) plus 1st and 3rd-round choices in 2000 that became the 2nd and 64th overall.
Because Casserly used just three of the Saints picks to stock the Redskins roster and traded the others away, Ditka's critics never bothered to figure out just what players were ultimately tagged in the slots vacated by New Orleans.
The following is a record of what teams took what prospects with the draft choices New Orleans sacrificed for Ricky Williams:

Round-Player-YearTeamPositionPlayer
1-12-1999 Chicago Bears QB Cade McNown
3-71-1999 Chicago Bears WR D'Wayne Bates
4-107-1999 Washington Redskins LB Nate Stimson
5-144-1999 Chicago Bears LB Khari Samuel
6-179-1999 Denver Broncos TE Desmond Clark
7-218-1999 Denver Broncos WR Billy Miller
1-2-2000 Washington Redskins LB La'Var Arrington
3-64-2000 Washington Redskins DB Lloyd Harrison

Just one of these players is still with the team that picked him, Pro Bowl LB Arrington.
McNown, who bounced from the Bears to the Dolphins in 2001 and on to the 49ers in 2002, hasn't thrown a pass since 2000. D'Wayne Bates had a decent season with the Vikings in 2002, but he wasn't productive with the Bears, who lost him to free agency. Nate Stimsom hasn't played for anyone since he was drafted. Khari Samuel started one game with the Bears in 1999 but moved to Detroit in 2001 and then on to Houston in 2002. Desmond Clark had his best year with Denver in 2001 when he caught 56 passes for 566 yards but the Broncos let him go to Miami in 2002 when Shannon Sharpe reupped with Mike Shanahan's troops. After catching 2 passes for 42 yards in 2002, Clark departed early this month for Chicago as an unrestricted free agent. Billy Miller didn't do much of anything as a Bronco and served as a free agent tight end with the Houston expansion team in 2002, where he put up numbers similar to those notched by Clark in 2001. In his 4-year career, Lloyd Harrison has been with three teams, the Skins, Chargers and Dolphins. What city is next on the itinerary of the peripatetic Mr. Harrison?
Mike Ditka put himself in the spotlight when he made his bold and much maligned trade. If he had retained the picks he gave up for Ricky Williams and used them as the teams that acquired them did, he might not have become the object of ridicule that he became. Folks might have complained about two drafts that produced a net of one great linebacker, had they noticed, but they might not have noticed. Just as they have never noticed that the fateful 1-5-99 pick New Orleans traded for originally belonged to the Carolina Panthers genius who in 1998 thought DE-DT Sean Gilbert was worth a pair of future 1st-round draft choices that eventually turned out to be Ricky Williams (1-5-99) and DE Shaun Ellis (1-12-00)

Everyone will get a glimpse into rickys head come late april....30 for 30 cant wait!!!

I agree with you, I bet this will open a lot of people's eyes into his world and what he went through. My favorite Dolphin player of all time. Can't wait for the show.

Could be..... The Hershal Walker deal with Dallas and Vikings is right up there as well. Because of that deal Dallas picked up a ton of draft picks that eventually fielded their SP runs of the early 90's.

No doubt about it; if the Phins could only flip some their low production/miscast players for an entire draft within a draft. I'd be really happy.

No doubt about it; if the Phins could only flip some their low production/miscast players for an entire draft within a draft. I'd be really happy.

So what your saying is Ted Ginn to the Raiders for their entire selection of draft picks isn't going to happen? Damn now I have to go do my entire mock draft over!:oops:

Back
Top Bottom