Mike McDaniel releases statement on hiring Anthony Weaver as Dolphins defensive coordinator | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike McDaniel releases statement on hiring Anthony Weaver as Dolphins defensive coordinator

Hope he brings some attitude to our D. Aggressive play. No 15 yard cushions.

The player development part seems like a passive aggressive shot at Fangio, maybe in regard to Cam Smith and some others. Remains to be seen who will be right: The Dolphins released a statement from coach Mike McDaniel, lauding Weaver, who "has a proven résumé of success, built on his personal investment in his players. Most importantly, he shares our belief that player development is the cornerstone to both team building and sustained excellence."

In my opinion if I am Cam Smith and/or Channing Tindall, I have to be very excited yet nervous at the same time.

With Weaver both will get a huge chance to contribute or possibly start, but if each again prove it tough to get on the Field (Especially Tindall), it will start to prove maybe the big expectations for each might have been off, and maybe Fangio was not so wrong in not giving them a shot to contribute.

Weaver really seems to be a tough, but still a players type coach, who will do all he can to get the best from a player, and help them succeed, If Tindall continues to prove he can't even be used as a situational player, then he really was a bust. 🤞 Let's hope Weaver can get something out of that oozing with physical tools player...It would be like having a special Ferrari that could not corner, or stop when needed, so impossible to use.

As Fans, we need to give Weaver a 1 year grace in 2024. Defense will probably be towards bottom half of league between FAs and major injuries.

Dolphins are built on expensive CBs and Edges based on Patriots / Flores’ approach. Grier needs time to overhaul defensive side and get a more physical front 7 that Weaver wants to own line of scrimmage.

Last edited:
Ideally, you want Weaver to start building a culture day one of toughness and aggressiveness. I would also expect him to bring in some players that represent his style of defensive football.....both known players and ones we have never heard of before.

It will not happen overnight, but the idea of having a "bullying" defense is pretty appealing.

Another statement that just reeks that Fangio didn't invest the proper effort into developing the younger players on the roster.
Yeah, that was the first thing I got out of that

Fangio knew he wasn’t staying so the last thing he wanted to to do was develop young players. He just wanted to field experienced vets to pad his resume

In my opinion if I am Cam Smith and/or Channing Tindall, I have to be very excited yet nervous at the same time.

With Weaver both will get a huge chance to contribute or possibly start, but if each again prove it tough to get on the Field (Especially Tindall), it will start to prove maybe the big expectations for each might have been off, and maybe Fangio was not so wrong in not giving them a shot to contribute.

Weaver really seems to be a tough, but still a players type coach, who will do all he can to get the best from a player, and help them succeed, If Tindall continues to prove he can't even be used as a situational player, then he really was a bust. 🤞 Let's hope Weaver can get something out of that oozing with physical tools player...It would be like having a special Ferrari that could not corner, or stop when needed, so impossible to use.
I never had any big expectations for Tindall. He wasn’t even a starter in college. I'm hoping for the best but not expecting him to be some great player in the NFL

As Fans, we need to give Weaver a 1 year grace in 2024. Defense will probably be towards bottom half of league between FAs and major injuries.

Dolphins are built on expensive CBs and Edges based on Patriots / Flores’ approach. Grier needs time to overhaul defensive side and get a more physical front 7 that Weaver wants to own line of scrimmage.
I've talked about this before.....this defense will lose several players to free agency/cap moves and we'll have several players coming back from major surgery and some won’t be ready to play early on. Chubb might not play till December and Phillips could miss some time as well though he shouldn’t miss as much.

Tindall was a third round pick. In the NFL only 16% of third round picks ever become starters in the NFL. Which means 84% of the players drafted in the third round fail to ever become starters in the NFL. Most of them are out of the league within a few years or they spend a few years playing special teams or as backups before eventually ending up looking for work outside the NFL.

While I hope Tindall eventually becomes a starter for the Dolphins. I think it is more likely he ends up as one of the 84% of third round picks who struggles to find a spot on the roster the longer he goes without proving he belongs on an NFL roster.

He was never able to earn a starting position while at Georgia. While he did contribute as a valuable backup and situational LB at Georgia, expecting a player who wasn’t a starter in college to become a starting LB in the NFL probably isn’t going to happen.

Last edited:
The player development part seems like a passive aggressive shot at Fangio, maybe in regard to Cam Smith and some others. Remains to be seen who will be right: The Dolphins released a statement from coach Mike McDaniel, lauding Weaver, who "has a proven résumé of success, built on his personal investment in his players. Most importantly, he shares our belief that player development is the cornerstone to both team building and sustained excellence."
Fangio was the opposite of person development and personal relationship

Reporter: coach have you watched some tape on the players you inherited yet to see what they do well ?

Fangio:” no I haven’t and probably won’t”

Hope he brings some attitude to our D. Aggressive play. No 15 yard cushions.

What? You mean you don't like Olivadotti defense?

Perhaps you weren't watching the Titans game? That was just one giant tactic. Then Fangio leaves. Comes back in a few years. We play Tennessee again and BAM! They never see us coming. It's defensive coordinating 101. Read your handbook.😂😜

I'm sorry. So bored on this Sunday. Tornado warning in Westchester (my Miami area) this morning. Power went out a few times. Not much to do.

Back
Top Bottom