Minkah versus Kenyan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Minkah versus Kenyan

pjzabo

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I'm a lifetime Fins fan from NYC and hearing a lot of local sports radio talking about how we cast away Fitzpatrick and Drake and how they are ballin in their new homes and how awful we are for letting them go. I'm also reading threads here with a lot of difference of opinions on the matter. Was wondering how everyone looks at the loss of Minkah versus Kenyan.

Minkah Fitzpatrick was clearly the more heralded and hyped pick from the Tide. He was supposed to be the "do anything" guy in our secondary that would solidify our pass defense for the next decade and stop the bleeding from TEs destroying us routinely. As I recall, few fans truly blasted this pick. Kenyan Drake flew much further under the radar being drafted in the third round. He showed some explosiveness catching the ball, running in certain situations and he brought us "the Miracle" I have that poster in my man cave. But he was never showcased in our offense the way you would have expected coming off that early success.

Minkah started to get vocal about his displeasure on how he was being used. His Mom got involved (for all those who say you can't control your Mom, I call BS). We have three kids and like anyone that loves their kids, my wife and I have wanted to get involved multiple times in their lives if a teacher wronged them, a classmate, an employer - but they always said NO!! You will make it worse and I fight my own battles. Needless to say they don't make Millions of dollars and are scratching to launch in life. So that Mom tweeting was with his blessing. Then something nobody has brought up was the whole early "Fitzmagic" branding episode and I apologize if I am wrong but I think his Mom weighed in on that as well. And now we have another Fitzpatrick on the team. Hmmmm. Interesting. Another Fitzpatrick who people in the NFL media often refer to as " Fitzmagic". And the team is tanking and suddenly the budding superstar swissknife of a defender sees his "brand" fading for perhaps another two years. He won't take this and he plays below his capabilities, and demands a trade. He can't be consoled. But many here put it on the coaching staff, management and ownership - we didn't build him up, spotlight him, give him what he wants. I simply think he did what he thought he needed to advance his NFL career with total disregard to the Dolphins organization. I don't begrudge him for looking out for #1, but unlike others I also won't root for him to succeed. I look forward to when our team is on better footing against the Steelers two years from now.

Now Drake I feel a little different. He was mostly a quiet soldier unless I am wrong. Probably until Minkah's grumblings got louder and louder. He gave us some great moments and got noticed by the league when Ajayi went down and then got traded and yet we never built on that. I have to defer to professional NFL folk as to why that is. He wasn't a ground and pound wear the D down back. He was a "special situation" back and limited in his usefulness and upside is what I gathered from the "experts". I assume we wanted him to succeed and I hope we put him in that position and it simply didn't work out. Hell our O line has been trash for so long I don't know how much that factors in. Maybe with a terrible O line you just need to have a yards after contact guy that he is not. And now Drake goes to Zona, has three days to acclimate and balls his first game there. And I fully expected that given their run scheming and since i had Johnson on one of my fantasy teams, I grabbed Drake and plugged him in without hesitation. I do wish Drake success in his NFL career and at the same time I hope our braintrust was right to let him go and they draft a more versatile RB that produces much more for our team. One thing we have done is find good value in RBs in the draft, hard to dispute that no matter how big a fan (i.e. hater) you are. But I will still root for Drake unless we are playing his team over his career, yet I could care less about Minkah.

They are both good player. Dolphins fail to user them properly. Fitzpatrick may be hof player w steeler.. it spills milk now. They're gone.. must find thier replacements.

First things first, those clowns on the radio in New York have no idea what they're talking about, especially when it comes to the Dolphins, so keep that in mind.

It's my understanding that Kenyan Drake never received the opportunity to be the bellcow running back after he demonstrated he could handle it (at the end of 2017) because of Kenyan Drake.

Whether it was a lackadaisical attitude, being late for meetings, not getting in his playbook, blowing assignments, looking for the big play instead of taking what's there, dropping passes, fumbling, I have no idea.

But there were reasons two successive coaching staffs (and Nick Saban, I guess) did not turn to him to lead the backfield, and whoever is shitting on the move to trade him better know those reasons before opening their stupid mouth.

I always thought he could do it. Be the number 1 back. But I don't know what goes on behind the scenes. I just hear the rumors and rumblings.

Its sucks losing Minkah. But no sense in dwelling. Just gotta address the secondary with a high pick.

Everything depends how on what we get for those picks - but if those guys don’t want to play in MIA they have to be traded

Jarvis was also offered a good contract let’s put it this way he would have been overplayed for his production

To change the narrative you have to win consistently and we need a Qb

We need a QB and we need to keep him upright and healthy and those picks help us build around a QB of the future

Wasn't high on Fitz but wasn't disgusted with him either.
He may be a HOF or JAG.
Drake had the opportunity state him right in the face .Who was taking his job from him but himself.

First things first, those clowns on the radio in New York have no idea what they're talking about, especially when it comes to the Dolphins, so keep that in mind.

It's my understanding that Kenyan Drake never received the opportunity to be the bellcow running back after he demonstrated he could handle it (at the end of 2017) because of Kenyan Drake.

Whether it was a lackadaisical attitude, being late for meetings, not getting in his playbook, blowing assignments, looking for the big play instead of taking what's there, dropping passes, fumbling, I have no idea.

But there were reasons two successive coaching staffs (and Nick Saban, I guess) did not turn to him to lead the backfield, and whoever is ****ting on the move to trade him better know those reasons before opening their stupid mouth.

I always thought he could do it. Be the number 1 back. But I don't know what goes on behind the scenes. I just hear the rumors and rumblings.

Total opposite of what my eyes sees...Drake played hard all the time
Not consistent with rumblings you have heard

Total opposite of what my eyes sees...Drake played hard all the time
Not consistent with rumblings you have heard
Everything I've heard was behind the scenes. Not during games (except fumbles, dropped passes, missed blocks, not taking what's there, etc.).

i don't know what you mean

Undrstand some critique of Drake but he was a damn good back with explosive playmaking abilty which we now have none from a RB

But this...?

except fumbles, dropped passes, missed blocks, not taking what's there, etc.

Oh boy ;)

Undrstand some critique of Drake but he was a damn good back with explosive playmaking abilty which we now have none from a RB

But this...?

except fumbles, dropped passes, missed blocks, not taking what's there, etc.

Oh boy ;)
I wasn't saying he did all those things, I just meant they wouldn't qualify as "behind the scenes."

I like him and wish he was still here.

Drake is in a great situation as far as an offense that's gonna work with his skill set and you already saw the results. Last year he played second fiddle to Gore because he was the second best running back in the offense we had on the field then. On a team that didn't create much space (like he got in Az for one game) he cost himself and the team yardage repeatedly by always looking for the big play. The bellcow running back needs to get positive yardage for his team and move on to the next play. It's better to contribute to three first downs than get one twenty yard run among other wasted carries.

Bottom line is Drake wasn't a second year player with years left on his contract, he was a player who was gonna leave at the end of the year anyway. It takes a pretty good running back to be worth a second contract.

Back
Top Bottom