MLS Cup 2003 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MLS Cup 2003

Don't forget it was located in one of the poorer, ghettoer cities. People do not have the money to go watch soccer, and If they did they would spend it on somethign else. But for the people who could go on a regular basis...it was too far of a drive to be sitting watching from an uncomfortable seat. I think we should have a new Miami team but have them play in the Orange Bowl. I think that could work. BTW, that is a stupid rule that you can only have 3 players from different nationalities on a team, you should be able to have as many as you want...not discriminate by having all one race but being able to have few players from diffrent countires because they contain talent. BTW, that rule is trying to prevent discrimination when all it is doing is create more discrimination against blacks, hispanics and other poeple not from US by not giving them a chance to play in the MLS because each team can only take 3 players from different countries, decreasing the chances of others waiting.

Ice... Alright well you're misinformed about some of your comments.

Let me start with Miami: There IS a chance an MLS Club will return to South Florida, I'm not saying when but most likely later than sooner. MLS Commissioner Don Garber has stated that Miami Fusion owner-operator, Horowitz, will have the rights to the next MLS team based in South Florida if it does occur. He is a multi-millionaire Miami-native who responded by saying "My kids play soccer, they love it, and it will be their dream and my goal to bring professional soccer back to S. Florida if the opportunity is there." Remember, he spent #20-million to start the Fusion, and another $5 million for renovations to Lockhart Stadium in Ft. Lauderdale. But thats the key right there. MLS and Horowitz knows that if a team returns to SoFlo, it would have to be in MIAMI, and not anywhere else including Ft. Lauderdale. Miami has one of the biggest markets in the country, and with a HUGE amount of Hispanics here in Mami, I'm sure it would be a success. Point is, they have a committed owner, but need an opportunity to play somewhere in Miami, since the fans are here. Tampa Bay NEVER had someone willing to buy out the team! From 1996-2001, no investor was interested, the MLS was always running that team, so they know thats not the best market, it was costing too much money to support that team.

Now about Chivas-USA: Jorge Vergara (Chivas-Mex owner) said he DOES want to have an all-Mexican team. He feels that his "Chivas brand" is naturally Mexican and that it could dominate the league if he brought talent from his country. But yes, the MLS has rules and restrictions on international players, but knowing the MLS, they'll tweak it for this monster. This is terrible!! Vergara is only interested in his product and not the MLS' product. This could have a devastating blow to the MLS. BTW, both sides are leaning to San Diego and to play in Qualcomm stadium as a temporary stadium solution. On the side, Mexico's America club owner wants to invest in MLS but with a "current team with a strong fan base and a soccer-specific stadium"

Oklahoma: Yes, Oklahoma looks like they will be next but not for the 2005 expansion of 2 teams. The University of Central Oklahoma, located in a suburb of Oklahoma City says it plans on building a 30,000-seat soccerr-specific stadium around their campus.

Originally posted by Prime Time
Don't forget it was located in one of the poorer, ghettoer cities. People do not have the money to go watch soccer, and If they did they would spend it on somethign else. But for the people who could go on a regular basis...it was too far of a drive to be sitting watching from an uncomfortable seat. I think we should have a new Miami team but have them play in the Orange Bowl. I think that could work. BTW, that is a stupid rule that you can only have 3 players from different nationalities on a team, you should be able to have as many as you want...not discriminate by having all one race but being able to have few players from diffrent countires because they contain talent. BTW, that rule is trying to prevent discrimination when all it is doing is create more discrimination against blacks, hispanics and other poeple not from US by not giving them a chance to play in the MLS because each team can only take 3 players from different countries, decreasing the chances of others waiting.

Almost every league in the world has a rule that limits the amount of international players a team can have. La Liga, for example, only allows a team to have 4 players from non-EU nations.

BTW, this has nothing to do with blacks or hispanics as long as they are American. It has nothing to do with race, it has to do with where you have citizenship (i.e. Freddy Adu was born in Ghana but since he is an American citizen he counts as an American)

Discrimination is what Chivas does. What MLS is doing is trying to have Americans in the league. We don't say no to players for other countries, but as an American league they are trying to give Americans a chance to play in their league.

Originally posted by Dolfan02
Ice... Alright well you're misinformed about some of your comments.

Let me start with Miami: There IS a chance an MLS Club will return to South Florida, I'm not saying when but most likely later than sooner. MLS Commissioner Don Garber has stated that Miami Fusion owner-operator, Horowitz, will have the rights to the next MLS team based in South Florida if it does occur. He is a multi-millionaire Miami-native who responded by saying "My kids play soccer, they love it, and it will be their dream and my goal to bring professional soccer back to S. Florida if the opportunity is there." Remember, he spent #20-million to start the Fusion, and another $5 million for renovations to Lockhart Stadium in Ft. Lauderdale. But thats the key right there. MLS and Horowitz knows that if a team returns to SoFlo, it would have to be in MIAMI, and not anywhere else including Ft. Lauderdale. Miami has one of the biggest markets in the country, and with a HUGE amount of Hispanics here in Mami, I'm sure it would be a success. Point is, they have a committed owner, but need an opportunity to play somewhere in Miami, since the fans are here. Tampa Bay NEVER had someone willing to buy out the team! From 1996-2001, no investor was interested, the MLS was always running that team, so they know thats not the best market, it was costing too much money to support that team.

Now about Chivas-USA: Jorge Vergara (Chivas-Mex owner) said he DOES want to have an all-Mexican team. He feels that his "Chivas brand" is naturally Mexican and that it could dominate the league if he brought talent from his country. But yes, the MLS has rules and restrictions on international players, but knowing the MLS, they'll tweak it for this monster. This is terrible!! Vergara is only interested in his product and not the MLS' product. This could have a devastating blow to the MLS. BTW, both sides are leaning to San Diego and to play in Qualcomm stadium as a temporary stadium solution. On the side, Mexico's America club owner wants to invest in MLS but with a "current team with a strong fan base and a soccer-specific stadium"

Oklahoma: Yes, Oklahoma looks like they will be next but not for the 2005 expansion of 2 teams. The University of Central Oklahoma, located in a suburb of Oklahoma City says it plans on building a 30,000-seat soccerr-specific stadium around their campus.

I read a lot about MLS expansion and have never once heard Miami's name come up as a potential candidate. The Fusion was a disaster, and the MLS has no reason to go to a city that didn't support MLS. The team could have been a success, but it wasn't.

The MLS bent the rules for Freddy Adu by giving him more than the maximum salary. We know the league will bend rules, but it won't allow a Mexican-only club. Besides, it violates the Equal Opportunity Act. This Vergara idiot can say whatever he wants, but when it comes down to it he will have to have some gringos :lol: on his team. If the MLS allows Vergara to do what he wants, they will lose a lot of loyal supporters.

Club America has shown interest in buying a club. They don't have xenophobic policies like Chivas so I don't have a problem with them. Both clubs will bring lots of fans to the league so it will be good for the league, but if Chivas becomes all-Mexican they will lose a lot of fans and get their asses sued for discriminatory practices.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

Almost every league in the world has a rule that limits the amount of international players a team can have. La Liga, for example, only allows a team to have 4 players from non-EU nations.

BTW, this has nothing to do with blacks or hispanics as long as they are American. It has nothing to do with race, it has to do with where you have citizenship (i.e. Freddy Adu was born in Ghana but since he is an American citizen he counts as an American)

Discrimination is what Chivas does. What MLS is doing is trying to have Americans in the league. We don't say no to players for other countries, but as an American league they are trying to give Americans a chance to play in their league.

Oh okay, thanks for clearing that up.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

I read a lot about MLS expansion and have never once heard Miami's name come up as a potential candidate. The Fusion was a disaster, and the MLS has no reason to go to a city that didn't support MLS. The team could have been a success, but it wasn't.

The MLS bent the rules for Freddy Adu by giving him more than the maximum salary. We know the league will bend rules, but it won't allow a Mexican-only club. Besides, it violates the Equal Opportunity Act. This Vergara idiot can say whatever he wants, but when it comes down to it he will have to have some gringos :lol: on his team. If the MLS allows Vergara to do what he wants, they will lose a lot of loyal supporters.

Club America has shown interest in buying a club. They don't have xenophobic policies like Chivas so I don't have a problem with them. Both clubs will bring lots of fans to the league so it will be good for the league, but if Chivas becomes all-Mexican they will lose a lot of fans and get their asses sued for discriminatory practices.

Yes, I think so too. I think he would discriminate against the Gringons which would cause problems. I don't want this man owning a team. I never did. When I first heard the news about this on a Morning Spanish Show called "Despierta America"...I was like WTF? No way, this will cause many problems and the possible downfall of MLS.

I wanted the Revs to be in it for the second year in a row. Oh well, there is always next year.

It owuld make sense...New England Revolution and your a Pats fan. :lol:

Originally posted by Prime Time
It owuld make sense...New England Revolution and your a Pats fan. :lol:

The Revolution and Pats are also owned by the same person, Robert Kraft.

Back
Top Bottom