Mock draft Dream | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mock draft Dream

Lovethefish

Active Roster
Reaction score
As good as I think this draft is, there were some tough decisions.

RD1 Derwin James was available
RD 2 Billy Price & Hernandez, Goedert available
RD 3 Chubb & Elliot available
RD4 Lazard available

IMG_2739.jpg

Edmunds appears to be moving up the draft boards and is now being mocked in the middle of the 1st rd.
If he tests well at his pro day, he may be the top LB drafted (ahead of Smith). Much higher ceiling and pro type measurables.
He may not even be available at 11. I’m not even sure Fumagalli will be there in the 4th.

Edmunds appears to be moving up the draft boards and is now being mocked in the middle of the 1st rd.
If he tests well at his pro day, he may be the top LB drafted (ahead of Smith). Much higher ceiling and pro type measurables.
He may not even be available at 11. I’m not even sure Fumagalli will be there in the 4th.
I noticed that Daniel Jeremiah had him going to SF at #10.

Edmunds looks the part, but Roquan Smith combines physical ability with instinct and study habits. If both are available, Smith is my pick.

Yes out of all the picks, Treman Edmunds at #41 most unrealistic. I used B/R NFLdraftscout for ratings.
I do believe we have opportunity to pickup 3 impact player/ starters.
Plus RT17 & Raekwon, Davis & TJ. That's 7 different starters from start of 2017.

Edmunds is just unique athletically for a LB that size. He's able to make some one on one tackles in space against elusive offensive weapons that most smaller linebackers can't make.

It was on display several times in the bowl game vs. Oklahoma St. on Justice Hill. They like to spread you out and force you to tackle their athletes in space. Edmunds was equal to the task.

I watched the Clemson game and the Miami game.
My opinion FWIW - I see big strong kid- good at POA- below average instincts in zone coverage. He projects 4-3 SAM
Runs well enough for his size.
Plays hard and strong.
Pass rush move is bullrush relies on strength. No outside bend or dynamic move

Not sure he can stay on field on obvious passing downs especially with Raekwon. Don't see fit on Miami where you play Nickel 70%.
Guess his best case comp is Hightower as discussed in another thread with hoops.

Edmunds is just unique athletically for a LB that size. He's able to make some one on one tackles in space against elusive offensive weapons that most smaller linebackers can't make.

It was on display several times in the bowl game vs. Oklahoma St. on Justice Hill. They like to spread you out and force you to tackle their athletes in space. Edmunds was equal to the task.

I agree. Improving player. I was familiar with Edmunds but not until that bowl game did he really stand out as an emerging star. The Oklahoma State offense was giving the Hokies fits. Tim Settle was too fat and not doing much of anything. The other defensive tackle Ricky Walker made an occasional effective play. But only Tremaine Edmunds seemed up to the task athletically...legitimately disrupting bread and butter plays.

While watching Edmunds I had to conclude he was a first round player. I'm not surprised he has been vaulting up the charts.

He's the age of a sophomore so that can account for the sudden improvement. Coming out of high school some services had Edmunds as 3 star while others like Rivals listed him at 4 star. But again, he was a 16 year old playing his senior year so it's not unreasonable to conclude he could have been solid 4 if not 5ish upon normal age. I don't like adjustments in general but with age it is proper. That's why I really appreciate the DraftCobern guy who includes age as a significant aspect of his evaluation. One year is such a major portion of a player's career and advancement at this stage.

Roquan Smith is a safer pick. But I can't help feeling it is merely another example of the Dolphins conceding advantage to the league. A little linebacker is not going to scare anybody. That little linebacker wasn't the most preferred linebacker on Georgia's team, at least in Slimm's rating to begin the season.

I always like to look back at the early mocks for clarity. Yeah, I know. There will be reason to ridicule them. No kidding not every projection will click a year later. Preseason ratings are gold in college sports but they are mocked by typical fans because nobody wants to believe the early blind call is superior than watching game after game. But if you continually take players who were already well known and of sufficient age entering their final college season, yet not rated anywhere near where you end up taking them, it is going to be a negative expectancy and steady leak.

For example, note these two mock drafts, one from immediately after the 2017 draft and one from early October 2018. Roquan Smith is nowhere to be seen in the first round in either one. I didn't search for mocks in which he wasn't included. I simply Googled and found the first one among the search results, for immediately after the draft and then into the season>

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/baltimore-ravens/2018-nfl-mock-draft-10-and-we-start-anew

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2737259-2018-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-updated-projections

Derwin James may slip to our spot and beyond. I'm now seeing some respected guys who have him 15th to 20th. I understand it in some respects. I've always noted that James throws his shoulders around in coverage too much, as opposed to ideal form in coverage and tackling. But the guy was an elite talent who displayed it immediately. Note in those two early mocks he is 9th (to the Dolphins) and then 6th.

I would far prefer to ignore all the late subjective goop and default to that type of thing. Just sit back and allow a simple system to work in your favor. It actually feels great.

That's if we don't take a quarterback, which I wouldn't mind either.

Here's another link, one from early 2016 with Pro Football Focus projecting James as candidate for best defensive player in the nation in the 2016 season, while mentioning he was their #2 rated safety as a true freshman in 2015:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...ates-derwin-james-best-defender-in-the-nation

I prefer that type of refresher course. But the Seahawks draft blogger guy Rob Staton got all unhinged when I posted the link in comments on his site a few days ago, to the point he even posted a subsequent thread with thoughts on James. He is not as high on him, although he does project later first round.

I don't see this. Maybe I'm missing something on Edmunds. He isn't ultra fast, average cover skills and not much of a pass rusher.

I thought of him more in the 20-25 range, but I guess that's not a big stretch. Reading some other opinions on him, sounds like someone with a lot of upside who can continue to get better. I think he's just 19.

Back
Top Bottom