Mock | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mock

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
This is such a deep draft that I wouldn't doubt Miami trades down for more picks or moves a veteran or two. But, I'm not going to project trades. Here is goes with explanations.

1. Marcus McNeil (LT, Auburn) -- Defense is a big possiblity, but Miami has struggled at the left tackle spot since Richmond Webb left. A potential dominating tackle like McNeil could make a huge difference for the Dolphins offense, especially if they want to keep developing the deep passing game. It would also open things up for Randy McMichael to become more involved in the passing game, which is where he can help the team the most. Ronnie Brown would love this pick, the player Auburn runs behind when they need that 3rd and 1.

2. Cedric Griffin (CB/S, Texas) -- Saban needs to revamp the secondary in a big way. If he doesn't draft someone like Huff in the first round, I think Saban will look towards players like Cromartie, Griffin, Blackmon, Youbody etc. in round 2. I think Griffin is a little underrated and has the physical attributes Saban is looking for and the versatility to play CB or safety. Free agency will likely be used to get more players here as well.

3. Brodie Croyle (QB, Alabama) -- This guy really has just about everything you look for in a quarterback: the ability to read defenses, a strong arm, leadership, accuracy etc. He moves okay, but isn't going to makes plays with his legs. Did a lot without a lot of offensive talent around him at Bama. He is definitely an injury concern and needs to be more consistent with the deep ball. Charlie Whitehurst or Omar Jacobs are other possibilities. No question, Miami needs to find a quarterback in this draft. Jacobs might fit better what Saban is looking for. We'll see.

4. Tommy Jackson (NT, Auburn) -- There are a lot of ways Miami could go with this pick. I can see Saban going for a linebacker, safety, corner, wide receiver, BPA (so much depends on free agency). Jackson is a plugger in the middle who is a good run stuffer and a nice fit for a 3-4.

5. (pick for Manny Wright)

6. Reggie McNeal (QB, Texas AM) --Dolphins gamble that McNeal can make the transition to wide receiver. Could be an emergency qb as well. McNeal is a great athlete and could go a little higher than this.

7. Kevin Boothe (G, Cornell) -- Injuries move him down, but he has some nice talent to work with. A Hudson Houch project.

7. Brian Iwuh (S, Colorado) -- A Larry Izzo type, who will probably help out mostly on special teams. Could see him going 5th or 6th round so this may be a bit hopeful.

(Not sure if Miami has another 7th rounder or not).

As far as trades go, I think the Dolphins could get a 3rd for Ricky Williams and probably a 4th for Sam Madison. I think those guys are more valuable than that, but that's how it goes for draft picks these day.

SF Dolphin Fan said:
This is such a deep draft that I wouldn't doubt Miami trades down for more picks or moves a veteran or two. But, I'm not going to project trades. Here is goes with explanations.

1. Marcus McNeil (LT, Auburn) -- Defense is a big possiblity, but Miami has struggled at the left tackle spot since Richmond Webb left. A potential dominating tackle like McNeil could make a huge difference for the Dolphins offense, especially if they want to keep developing the deep passing game. It would also open things up for Randy McMichael to become more involved in the passing game, which is where he can help the team the most. Ronnie Brown would love this pick, the player Auburn runs behind when they need that 3rd and 1.

2. Cedric Griffin (CB/S, Texas) -- Saban needs to revamp the secondary in a big way. If he doesn't draft someone like Huff in the first round, I think Saban will look towards players like Cromartie, Griffin, Blackmon, Youbody etc. in round 2. I think Griffin is a little underrated and has the physical attributes Saban is looking for and the versatility to play CB or safety. Free agency will likely be used to get more players here as well.

3. Brodie Croyle (QB, Alabama) -- This guy really has just about everything you look for in a quarterback: the ability to read defenses, a strong arm, leadership, accuracy etc. He moves okay, but isn't going to makes plays with his legs. Did a lot without a lot of offensive talent around him at Bama. He is definitely an injury concern and needs to be more consistent with the deep ball. Charlie Whitehurst or Omar Jacobs are other possibilities. No question, Miami needs to find a quarterback in this draft. Jacobs might fit better what Saban is looking for. We'll see.

4. Tommy Jackson (NT, Auburn) -- There are a lot of ways Miami could go with this pick. I can see Saban going for a linebacker, safety, corner, wide receiver, BPA (so much depends on free agency). Jackson is a plugger in the middle who is a good run stuffer and a nice fit for a 3-4.

6. Reggie McNeal (QB, Texas AM) --Dolphins gamble that McNeal can make the transition to wide receiver. Could be an emergency qb as well. McNeal is a great athlete and could go a little higher than this.

7. Kevin Boothe (G, Cornell) -- Injuries move him down, but he has some nice talent to work with. A Hudson Houch project.

7. Brian Iwuh (S, Colorado) -- A Larry Izzo type, who will probably help out mostly on special teams. Could see him going 5th or 6th round so this may be a bit hopeful.

As far as trades go, I think the Dolphins could get a 3rd for Ricky Williams and probably a 4th for Sam Madison. I think those guys are more valuable than that, but that's how it goes for draft picks these day.
We don't have a 6th round pick(Lemon) and yes, we do have another 7th.I like your mock and pretty realistic.....Boothe should be no later than a 4th round pick tho but the top 4 are posible on those rounds.I give you credit that you're not making one of those mocks where we get 5 top 10 players with only one pick in round one.

Ozzy rules!! :dolphins:

Not bad at all. If Cutler is there he needs to be the pick IMO, but Croyle would be my second choice. McNeil would be a nice alternative in the first. I doubt he'll be there, but he has the potential to be a dominant LT in the NFL.

Danny said:
We don't have a 6th round pick(Lemon) and yes, we do have another 7th.I like your mock and pretty realistic.....Boothe should be no later than a 4th round pick tho but the top 4 are posible on those rounds.I give you credit that you're not making one of those mocks where we get 5 top 10 players with only one pick in round one.

Ozzy rules!! :dolphins:

I was trying to be realistic. With all the underclassman this could be a great opportunity to trade down and get extra picks. It will be interesting to see what Saban does.

sports24/7 said:
Not bad at all. If Cutler is there he needs to be the pick IMO, but Croyle would be my second choice. McNeil would be a nice alternative in the first. I doubt he'll be there, but he has the potential to be a dominant LT in the NFL.

I tend to agree on Cutler, but not sure he will be there. This is going to be such an interesting offseason, though. I can't wait to see how Saban continues to put the pieces together. I'm sure he will put a major emphasis on the secondary and improving the passing game.

How about
1-Jay Cutler QB- Vandy. We need a franchise QB and love what I have heard about him. Projected to go in mid 1st round.
2-Darnell Bing SS- USC. The SS position is a ket for Saban. Darnell is a big hard hitting guy who can play the run and cover a bit. He is projected anywhere from bottom of the first to second round. Love it if he fell to us.
3- Andrew Whitworth LT- LSU We all know how Nick likes his guys. This particular guy is HUGE. I wanna say 6'9" 325+. Certainly Nick know what he is geeting with him and fills a need for us. I have seen several mocks with him falling to us in the 3rd.
4- Pierre Woods OLB- Michigan. Another need position as well as a guy who has the size Nick wants. He goes about 6'5" and 250 or so. Has had several good years at Michigan but not a great one this last season so he very well may be here in the 4th but certainly not in the 7th IMHO.

As stated before we dont have a 5th or 6th. The two sevenths....well who knows. I dont have the knowledge to know the types that may be there at that point and so much will transpire prior :rolleyes: Tha would be my opinion of the best possible and possible draft.

Thoughts?

Bowl_Bound said:
How about
1-Jay Cutler QB- Vandy. We need a franchise QB and love what I have heard about him. Projected to go in mid 1st round.
2-Darnell Bing SS- USC. The SS position is a ket for Saban. Darnell is a big hard hitting guy who can play the run and cover a bit. He is projected anywhere from bottom of the first to second round. Love it if he fell to us.
3- Andrew Whitworth LT- LSU We all know how Nick likes his guys. This particular guy is HUGE. I wanna say 6'9" 325+. Certainly Nick know what he is geeting with him and fills a need for us. I have seen several mocks with him falling to us in the 3rd.
4- Pierre Woods OLB- Michigan. Another need position as well as a guy who has the size Nick wants. He goes about 6'5" and 250 or so. Has had several good years at Michigan but not a great one this last season so he very well may be here in the 4th but certainly not in the 7th IMHO.

As stated before we dont have a 5th or 6th. The two sevenths....well who knows. I dont have the knowledge to know the types that may be there at that point and so much will transpire prior :rolleyes: Tha would be my opinion of the best possible and possible draft.

Thoughts?

Not bad at all. Cutler would be nice and Bing is the physical presence Saban would love to have in the secondary. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Miami picked secondary help in both the first and second rounds. There is some real serious talent out there at that position and the Dolphins need to rebuild the secondary in a big way. I'm sure Whitworth is a Saban type with the only negative being that he won't play LT in the pros. Could be an excellent RT, though. I don't know anything about Woods. Obviously, so much will depend on free agency and what the Dolphins are able to do prior to the draft.

SF Dolphin Fan said:
Not bad at all. Cutler would be nice and Bing is the physical presence Saban would love to have in the secondary. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Miami picked secondary help in both the first and second rounds. There is some real serious talent out there at that position and the Dolphins need to rebuild the secondary in a big way. I'm sure Whitworth is a Saban type with the only negative being that he won't play LT in the pros. Could be an excellent RT, though. I don't know anything about Woods. Obviously, so much will depend on free agency and what the Dolphins are able to do prior to the draft.

You think that he needs to be a RT? Why? As for Woods he is a Merriman minor. He is 6'5" 247lbs kind of a tweener. I dont know what he runs but as a guess low 4.6s perhaps high 4.5s.

SF Dolphin Fan said:

I drafted Mcneal in my Madden game in the first round like 23 pick and hes doing pretty good.

Bowl_Bound said:
You think that he needs to be a RT? Why? As for Woods he is a Merriman minor. He is 6'5" 247lbs kind of a tweener. I dont know what he runs but as a guess low 4.6s perhaps high 4.5s.

He's more of a mauler in the run game and doesn't have great foot speed. I like him quite a bit, though. Woods sounds great. I'm sure Saban will be looking for that type of player, maybe Manny Lawson if he makes it to the 2nd round.

PhinsOwnBrady said:
I drafted Mcneal in my Madden game in the first round like 23 pick and hes doing pretty good.

It's funny, but McNeal reminds me a little bit of Brooks who Mueller drafted in New Orleans. Maybe he'll be like a Tony Martin receiver.

I would like our top 4 picks to be:

1) QB- Jay Cutler- Prototype size; has got a great arm that can make any throw; tough pocket passer who will stand inside the pocket until the last moment to make the throw, great mechanics with a compact release and good holding and releasing points, does a good job of going through his progressions, has great mobility and can do damage with his feet when needed (averaged 350 rushing yards a year in his career), very durable, good accuracy, has carried the very limited Vanderbilt team on his back and led them to a great 4-0 start this year; amazing leader who was named Team Captain 3 times, can make an accurate throw on the run; has lots of experience starting at QB for 4 years

2) OT- Andrew Whitworth- Punishing run blocker who creates huge lanes for rushers, uses his size advantage over opponents very well, has huge upside and could develope into an elite tackle in the NFL for years, has started 39 games and counting in the tough SEC so injuries do not appear to be a problem with him

3) SS- Daniel Bullocks- Ready for the NFL type safety. Follows his identical twin brother, Josh Bullocks, who left college one year early. Hard, instinctive hitter. Adjusts well and is very coachable. Trains hard.

4) OLB- Pierre Woods- Great size, can line up at DE or OLB, strong player, can hold his own against big O Linemen, great pass rusher, can bull rush effectively and use his speed off the edge, Has some fire to him, allways goes hard.

RalphX19X said:
I would like our top 4 picks to be:

1) QB- Jay Cutler- Prototype size; has got a great arm that can make any throw; tough pocket passer who will stand inside the pocket until the last moment to make the throw, great mechanics with a compact release and good holding and releasing points, does a good job of going through his progressions, has great mobility and can do damage with his feet when needed (averaged 350 rushing yards a year in his career), very durable, good accuracy, has carried the very limited Vanderbilt team on his back and led them to a great 4-0 start this year; amazing leader who was named Team Captain 3 times, can make an accurate throw on the run; has lots of experience starting at QB for 4 years

2) OT- Andrew Whitworth- Punishing run blocker who creates huge lanes for rushers, uses his size advantage over opponents very well, has huge upside and could develope into an elite tackle in the NFL for years, has started 39 games and counting in the tough SEC so injuries do not appear to be a problem with him

3) SS- Daniel Bullocks- Ready for the NFL type safety. Follows his identical twin brother, Josh Bullocks, who left college one year early. Hard, instinctive hitter. Adjusts well and is very coachable. Trains hard.

4) OLB- Pierre Woods- Great size, can line up at DE or OLB, strong player, can hold his own against big O Linemen, great pass rusher, can bull rush effectively and use his speed off the edge, Has some fire to him, allways goes hard.

Nice analysis. Wouldn't mind that at all, although I think Miami needs to grab a corner fairly early. I like the talent at that position and maybe someone like Cromartie sneaks into the mid-second round range. I can see the Dolphins switching Daniels to safety so maybe corner becomes the bigger need. Let me ask you this -- if Manny Lawson is there in the 2nd round do you think Saban will take him?

SF Dolphin Fan said:

I like it.. McNeil or Justice in the 1st would be fine with me. My only changed would be Pat Watkins from FSU in the second.. I think he has the talent and the intelligence needed in Saban's system. But I love Croyle and Jackson. Jackson and Manny would be a nice platoon system....

SF Dolphin Fan said:
Nice analysis. Wouldn't mind that at all, although I think Miami needs to grab a corner fairly early. I like the talent at that position and maybe someone like Cromartie sneaks into the mid-second round range. I can see the Dolphins switching Daniels to safety so maybe corner becomes the bigger need. Let me ask you this -- if Manny Lawson is there in the 2nd round do you think Saban will take him?

I hope you mean falls into the mid second for Cromartie, a solid combine could put him late first.

Lawson would be a great pick in the 2nd, or Carpenter if he's still there, which I doubt.

Back
Top Bottom