Monday 8/11 pm Practice Report | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Monday 8/11 pm Practice Report

Dude

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Today was another strong day of practice. The type of practice where the coach would say ‘We got some good work in today’. There was a slow but steady rain that started soon after the practice began, and lasted about 30 min, but it didn’t seem like anyone noticed. The focus was excellent, but unfortunately the results were mixed. This was even with the ball boy trying to keep the balls dry by keeping them under towels.

Jay was throwing strong and looking good. He is getting rid of the ball very quickly, his decisions are great and he puts the ball right on the money. He also never seems to miss a wide open guy. It is very frustrating to see something that’s so open it’s obvious from the stands, only to have the QB throw into coverage somewhere else. Jay always knows where his guys are. Probably Jay’s best play today was after a hard count pulled offsides Seau and Buckley who were blitzing, Jay continued the play and hit #88 Thompson deep down the far sideline in front of #29 Madison. The play would have been good for 40+ yards. Jay also looked good connecting to Thompson who caught the ball with his fingertips in front of #21 Fletcher on a quick slant that looked like a hot read reacting to a blitz.

Griese had an up and down day today. He started slow throwing high, looked good in the middle then started throwing low near the end. He still is taking too long to make a decision and he had a few misses of wide open WR’s. One of his best plays came standing in the face of a strong pass rush from #98 Grigsby to find #49 deep down the far sideline.

Sage looked pretty good again today, but he did have his share of bad throws that could have been weather related. His best throw was a deep ball that #83 Baker pushed off #20 Buckley to get in position for, but had it go through his hands for a drop. He did hit #49 on a deep pattern late in the practice on a good throw that looked nice.

Lon Sheriff struggled in the rain making a few way off throws. He looked especially inaccurate on the deep balls. Throwing them way over the receiver’s head even when there was no DB in the drill.

#82 Bataglia was back out today. Welcome back! Hey Marco - Please decide you want to get paid some obscene amount of money (compared to the rest of us) to sit on the bench most of the season and do nothing. We need you!
He actually had a very nice practice and seemed to pick up right where he left off before missing this week. He made several catches and showed no rust. He caught 2 balls in front of Seau and showed some good hands. One of the catches was from Sage where he fought off the 5 yard chuck from Jr and made the grab only to have Jr get annoyed and push him to the ground after the catch. He also had one he bobbled and caught in front of #27 Freeman.

#95 Tim-Bo and #63 Dixon were not out there.
#17 practiced fully and got some reps with the first team
#66 Nails didn’t practice, but came out of the training area to the practice field about 15 min before practice ended. He was all sweaty like he was doing cardio work inside. He watched the rest of practice with his OL buddies.

Wanny about half way through practice had a one vs one first with JT then with Wally after an offsides. A little bit later, after another offsides, one of the coaches followed Wally back to the water cooler yelling ‘That’s why the f***ing defense can’t get off the field’. Wanny also stopped practice for a few minutes after the 2nd team had an offsides of their own.

The O vs D drills started with 4 vs.3 Red Zone/Short Yardage work from the 5 yard line and a nice completion from Fiedler to Chambers. Jay did a half roll out and hit him right between the numbers as he landed by the sideline then hopped out of bounds in front of #20 Buckley.

Griese’s got off to a horrible start today. His first rep, he held the ball forever then tried to find #32 Rogers late and #37 Banks had good position but the throw in the back of the end zone was uncatchable – high and wide.. His next rep #36 Donaldson dove in front of #83 Baker displaying great technique to break up the pass. He wasn’t open, bad decision. On that play #16 Newson was wide open on the other side but Griese missed him. The third snap he again looked like a statue standing and looking forever, and eventually threw it towards #28 who could only get one hand on the bad throw. Good coverage by #22 Wooden. 4th rep he dropped back quick look left then fired it quickly towards #85 Baker in the back or the end zone. At the last second #25 Lowe got his head around and snatched the ball out of the air for the int. Great play by. Omare!!

#74 Smith – I tried to watch him more closely today and he did much better vs. JT. Don’t get me wrong, JT beat him a couple of times including once where JT pushed him right into Fiedler, but it wasn’t near as bad as yesterday. He especially looked good on running plays, but showed more quickness and got his hands on JT earlier today in pass protection. I noticed they also gave him #81 McMichael to help block several times.

#61 Ruddy looked good on one play putting #64 Chester on the ground giving RW a nice lane to run through.

RW caught my eye right away today by sprinting all the way across the field to start the team drills. He had a few more reps today and had a little better results. He had a few good runs with decent gains. He also put a nice shoulder into #21 Fletcher’s chest after one short run.

#47 Edwards had the best run of the day busting through the line and running strait up field for a huge gain. Was quiet other then that though.

#28 Minor had a couple nice runs including one where he found the hole and beat #31 Marion who was trailing the play.

#26 Henry didn’t have much success running today. He got stuffed on one play by #78 Anderson who put a great hit on him in the backfield.

#84 Chambers – had a few good grabs today from Fiedler including a perfectly timed 12 yard curl pattern run in front of Fletcher. He also had a catch on a well placed ball on a drag route pulling away from #45. Had another great sideline catch from Jay as McMichael bailed out #74 Smith by picking up JT just before he could get the sack.

#88 Thompson had several nice catches including a nice deep out from Fiedler in addition to the catches I mentioned above. He did have one bad drop that hit him right in the hands.

#80 McKnight – Caught his first ball late in the practice. Jay got the ball off just as #91 was beating #74 for the sack. He also caught another deep ball on a well thrown pass from Griese deep down the near sideline. The line provided good protection prompting the OL coach to give high-5’s to his guys.

#87 Tolver only had a couple of balls thrown his was today. One was a very short ball from Griese that he couldn’t pull off his shoelaces when he was wide open and the other was a great catch he did make also from Griese that he extended to make right at the side line. Great tough catch!

#17 Simmons was kinda quiet today. He got open deep past #36 with a little push off at the end, but Griese overthrew it.
#85 Lee – He did have a bobble drop in the QB/WR drill, but Donald had several nice catches today. He had a nice long ball in front of #50 who looked to have great coverage, but Griese put it right on the money!

#81 McMichael – Had a couple of catches from Jay including a ball thrown behind him that he couldn’t haul in after getting a step on Seau. And another he did catch in front of #45 on the sideline.

Our rushing D is amazing at times and looked good again today. They stuffed many plays at the line and also did a god job of stringing out a few runs to the sideline.

#98 Grigsby had a great practice today. Hey made a few plays including stuffing #47 Edwards in the backfield on one rep. He looked prepared to make a sack on Griese on another play, but seemed to lose his footing, slipping to the ground. The play continued and Griese found #85 deep down the sideline beating #51 in coverage. He did get a sack on Griese a little later pushing #60 Jerman back to the QB. And he pushed #60 to the ground on another play, but the ball was already thrown.

#78 Andeson had a few nice run stuffs at the line and looked real good today. One stuff on Edwards, and a couple on Henry. He also had good pressure on the QB up the middle on another play. One of the stuffs of Henry, he looked huge and tackled the OL man in front of him and the ball carier at the same time.

#54 Zach made some plays today. He was very active in the run defense. He also wrapped up #30 $ #85 quickly after a short catches showing good cover skills.

#55 Seau looked good again today. On one play in pass coverage he had great position on #47 Edwards and forced a wide throw from Sage not to risk a pic. He also got into the backfield a couple of times once forcing a rushed throw from Jay that was complete to #81 McMichael in front of Fletcher, but for a minimal gain.

#22 Wooden had another solid practice keeping all the action in front of him and always seeming to be in good position. On one play, RW went out in a pass pattern and got leveled by someone in the middle of the field right at the goal line. RW got up slow then Wooden got right up in his facemask jawing at him talking trash. Shawn was only kidding and gave Ricky a love tap when they parted.

#45 Roundtree manhandled another receiver at the line again, completely knocking him off his route. On the next play however, he looked to be doing the same thing to #88 Thompson only to have Derrius fire back a shot of his own that put Roundtree on his butt!!! He looked real good coming off his man #16 Newson and tackling #47 for little gain. Showed good awareness!

#37 Banks – looked good on one blitz getting to Griese just as he got rid of the ball complete to #15 for a short gain

Awesome Dude, you are the man!

I must say, Randy McMichael has been worrying me. Haven't really heard his name being called as much as last year at this time. Is he having a bad camp? I really hope he is the real deal, and not a half season wonder.

GREAT news about Fiedler, he really needs to stay healthy.

Oh yeah, is Corey Jenkins as good as Eddie Moore? I seem to remember hearing his name a lot more than Moore's. Are we going to miss a step with the depth at linebacker?

Thanks for another great report.

I think everyone's eyes are on Wade Smith. If we pick up another LT at any point it will only be to backup Wade. The pressure is on the boy and I don't know if we can get a good reading off him playing J.T all the time. I'll be watching his matchups in Jacksonville.

I guess if your going to learn though......going against the best is the way to go.

Nice report. Jay is back, baby.

You always give good reports man. I for one, want to personally thank you for it. I never get to camp so your eyes are all I got.

Thanks man.

Originally posted by Phinstd
You always give good reports man. I for one, want to personally thank you for it. I never get to camp so your eyes are all I got.

Thanks man.

Ditto... thanks for taking the time out of your day and writing that up. :rocker:

Did Stemke practice today? If so, was he punting well?

Always a great job Dude. :hail:
I enjoy your reports more then you could know. I have been a diehard fan for over 25 years and am currently doing my 21st year of military service in Germany. I just arrived 6 months ago and the hardest thing to leave behind was my Direct TV. I'm going to miss alot of Phin games for the next 2.5 years but then it's on to Florida. I'll never miss another game after that.
Till then...Thanks for looking out for us fans.
:allhail:

Corey Jenkins has a knack for making plays which is more than we could say for Derrick Rodgers or Morlon Greenwood, however he's raw as sushi in his tackling techniques and his positioning against the run. Moore was lightyears ahead of him in those areas and I'm sure Moore could have made a few plays of his own this season had he got the chance. However, Jenkins is so good at defending the pass that if we got him to the point where we knew he would be covering the right person at the right time with the right angle...I would not mind having him come in to spell Junior Seau and Zach Thomas in nickel situations where we line up two linebackers primarily as pass defenders in obvious pass situations. I'm that confident he'd make plays even though he's an incredibly raw rookie.

But we need a veteran LB now. Not sure who. I can't think of any typical names out there that we might go for...but with Seaverns' legal troubles a veteran should be coming in.

Iagree with Parrot about Jenkins. I would love for the coaching staff to work with him enough where he could spell Zach and Jr on 3rd down. Keep those two fresh for December. I think he could learn some pass coverage right away b/c he was a safety in college.

Thats what is freaky gunn. He was a safety in college for all of TWO GAMES...against Clemson and Florida. But in those two games he registered 10 tackles (9 solo) and caused 2 fumbles. Otherwise he's been a quarterback since forever to my knowledge.

So really he shouldn't have all that much of a head-start against the pass compared to playing the run. Its just that having been a quarterback he seems to be natural at making plays against the run.

Watch out for Crash Jenkins baby. He'll blow you up even if you don't have the ball. He's like Terry Tate office linebacker. Some guy will be sittin on the sidelines on the bench just sippin some gatorade and here comes Crash blowin you up just to show that he owns you baby. Madden makes a stupid comment, and BOOM here comes Crash to own his azz...he thought you had the ball John Madden its not his fault.

Originally posted by gunn34
Always a great job Dude. :hail:
I enjoy your reports more then you could know. I have been a diehard fan for over 25 years and am currently doing my 21st year of military service in Germany. I just arrived 6 months ago and the hardest thing to leave behind was my Direct TV. I'm going to miss alot of Phin games for the next 2.5 years but then it's on to Florida. I'll never miss another game after that.
Till then...Thanks for looking out for us fans.
Thx guys.

Anything to do my part and support the Military... :troops:

Stemke:
They didn't do much punting yesterday. He & Royals were mostly standing around talking.

Back
Top Bottom