Monday night Dolphins from Barry jackson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Monday night Dolphins from Barry jackson

fishfanmiami

Let's go Dolphins
Administrator
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
### Teams can use their franchise tags beginning next Tuesday, and cornerback Brent Grimes remains Miami’s most likely candidate to get tagged. But Grimes hopes the Dolphins and agent Ben Dogra can come to a multi-year agreement instead.

Grimes said when the season ended that he wants to be here but prefers a multiyear deal. At 30, this could be his last big contract because cornerbacks typically don’t get big money as they get well into their 30s.
A franchise tag “is not what anybody wants,” Grimes said.

The Dolphins would be well-served to try to negotiate a multi-year deal with Grimes because the franchise tag for a cornerback has been estimated by CBSSports.com to be $11.2 million, and using it on Grimes would reduce the Dolphins’ cap space to around $20 million and still needing to:

1) re-sign Paul Soliai or Randy Starks. Those talks could begin in earnest in a week or two;

2) add probably four starting offensive linemen through a combination of the draft and free agency;

3) resolve one starting safety job by re-signing Chris Clemons, signing someone else, or opting for Jimmy Wilson at that spot;

4) possibly re-signing Nolan Carroll;

5) possibly adding a running back and another tight end. (It’s unclear if Dustin Keller will be ready for next season, or whether this regime would even want him);

6) sign all its draft picks.

7) add a run-stopping outside linebacker IF Miami decides to upgrade over Philip Wheeler.

8) eventually filling out a practice squad in September.

9) anything else Dennis Hickey deems necessary.

Even if the Dolphins give Grimes the franchise tag, they still can negotiate a longterm deal and lift the tag before mid-July.
As we’ve noted, Miami can clear additional space by asking Wheeler and Dimitri Patterson to take a pay cut, restructuring Mike Wallace’s deal, among other things. (Not saying they will, only that they can.)

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...heat-canes-broadcast-notes.html#storylink=cpy

Much rather ink him for a few years and maybe back load the contract instead of using the $11 tag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of work for the new GM and they will eat up that cap money in no time. Especially if we go after a quality O lineman or two in free agency.

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe offer to restructure mike wallace (and anyone else that would offer cap relief) if more $$ is needed to do the job.

Wallace will not restructure nor should he.. Im sure that number was in year 2 for a reason

I think numbers 5 and 7 definitely need to get done either through the draft or free agency.

Another power back and TE if they don't resign Keller and a run support guy to challenge for Wheeler's spot.

I think numbers 5 and 7 definitely need to get done either through the draft or free agency.

Another power back and TE if they don't resign Keller and a run support guy to challenge for Wheeler's spot.
Agreed.

ha ha 4 new starters on the oline...yeah oline was not an issue :tubes:

I love the to do list. Very similar to my thoughts. Not a newsflash I suppose, but the targets for improvement are clear.

Let's be honest, there is really one goal for this offseason and it is the OL. Re - sign Grimes and Soliai one way or another (and probably Clemons too since he continues to show improvement), but after that the defense should take a back seat. If we nee to let go of Patterson and/or Wheeler, so be it. We drafted their replacements last year anyway.

What Hickey needs to get right is the OL. I would use our first and 3 of our top 4 picks on the OL. Bring in 1 or 2 starters via FA and blow this thing up and build it right.

If we get one of Monroe/Albert/Veldheer/Collins for LT we have flexibility in the draft. Otherwise we need to secure a LT like Lewan and it may require moving up to do it.

No matter what we do I'd take James Hurst in round 3 and let him heal up and eventually plug him into LT.

Hickey needs to learn from the mistakes Ireland made. When you have a pressing need you fill it. When you have a good young QB prospect you protect him an give him a security blanket of a strong running game and a big target TE as a safety valve.

Ireland avoided taking Lane Johnson and Tyler Eifert and lost his 2nd round pick and used his second 2nd rounder on a hurt CB. Three top picks and ZERO help for his young QB in a year when he lost his starting LT, TE, and RB. Yes, he brought in FA's but none could run block or pass block. That's not a recipe for getting the ball to your shiny new deep threat WR.

Back
Top Bottom