Money to Spend: Where to? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Money to Spend: Where to?

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
NOTE: I posted this in the main threads, should have known better in the wake of the Surtain tread that place is like a thread zoo right now. Since I really WOULD like some idea of what we might do with this money, I posted it here...

Clump can probably give us a better idea of the exact figures, but now that Surtain is gone, we just lifted about $6 million of weight off our salary cap.

Where do we spend it? DO we spend it? We had a little over $1 million in salary cap space prior to trading Surtain. Now, we have upwards of $7 million in salary cap space.

Common rookie pool allotments are between $4 and $5 million at the top end of the draft (ours may be lower because we already had traded our 2nd round pick by the time rookie pool allotments were decided), and a lot of teams don't necessarily use that much of the allotment. If I had to estimate, I would say that we would need about $3 million for our rookies, once we're done with all of the trading.

The question becomes, what do we do with the money?

The first option that comes to mind, is give Randy McMichael a contract extension. He figures to become a somewhat important part of the game plan in Linehan's offense, because even though Linehan uses a lot of 3-WR sets, he sacrifices mostly the FB in order to do that (hence Rob Konrad = cut).

Another question then becomes, are there any free agents out there that still need to find themselves a home?

I wish I knew, I don't even know what free agents are still out there, other than Ty Law (no we're not getting Ty Law!). Is Anthony Simmons signed with anyone yet? If not, I think he could find his way down here. When Chad Brown gets cut officially by the Seahawks, I fully expect Miami to take a good look at him (6'2", 245 lbs., 12 year veteran with 78 sacks to his name).

Of course, there is always June 1st, when some unexpected names end up cut. I have not really heard of any potential June 1st casualties yet that we may be interested.

So really, with this thread, I would like people to start tossing out names of guys that are still available that we may look at, and names of guys who could become June 1st casualties.

Sad part about cap spaces is if you don't use it, ya lose it. So, maybe we SHOULD pay Randy, make a good part of his signing bonus a first year roster bonus.

I agree. McMichael is the priority. Do some front-loading on that contract, or stack up some "likely to be earned" bonuses like 15 touchdown passes in one game so we can roll that space over to next year.

Keep in mind that with Surtain gone, we now have the freedom to franchise McMichael next year, and possibly trade him.

If we do indeed go WR with the #2 pick, we would have 3 good WRs, and even though Linehan uses a TE/H-Back in those 3-WR sets a lot of the times, if you have 3 good WRs there is still less of a need for a pass catching TE like McMike. But, in the mean time, McMike would have 2005 to showcase his wares to the world in an offense that really could get him the ball 100 times.

I fully expect us now to make a play for Chad Brown, after the draft. Belichick always carries a ton of linebackers on the roster, and I think Saban could carry more than traditionally too. Who starts at SSLB right now? Spragan? Moore?

Brown is a big linebacker, a veteran of many years, who has shown with his 78 sacks that he can rush the passer. Saban will go for him, if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom