More analysis that Matt Ryan, not Jake Long, should’ve been the pick in 2008 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More analysis that Matt Ryan, not Jake Long, should’ve been the pick in 2008

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
This kind of feels like beating a dead horse at this point, but NFL Films executive producer Greg Cosell has a great column out today about the most valuable positions in today’s NFL.Cosell writes that quarterback, pass rusher and cornerback are the three most important positions, and that a good quarterback can mask the inefficiencies of his offensive line. The Dolphins, of course, took Long over Ryan, and while Long has been named to four straight Pro Bowls, the Dolphins are just 31-33 in his four seasons with only one playoff berth. Ryan, meanwhile, has led the Falcons to the playoffs in three of his four seasons.As Cosell writes:Think about this: the past four Super Bowl-winning left tackles were David Diehl (a former fifth-round pick at guard), Chad Clifton (second round), Jermon Bushrod (fourth round) and Max Starks (third round). The quarterbacks on those championship teams were Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger, each likely on anyone’s short list of the top quarterbacks in the NFL.We can debate how well those tackles played in those given seasons, but there’s a larger context. Is there a correlation between the quarterback position and the left tackle position? Can the argument be made that left tackle decreases in relative importance the better the quarterback, and is therefore less of a priority? Last season, Marshall Newhouse, a fifth-round pick in 2010, started 10 games at left tackle for the Packers. He struggled individually much of the season. It had little impact on Rodgers’ efficiency, or the overall performance of Green Bay’s offense.The elite quarterbacks camouflage and compensate for offensive line deficiencies in many ways. They do it before the snap of the ball with their understanding of defensive pressure schemes and the pass protection adjustments that must then result. They do it after the snap with their decision making, their advanced sense of timing and anticipation, and their ability to move in the pocket to minimize and negate the pass rushhttp://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2012/04/12/miami-dolphins-notebook-cameron-wake-continues-to-sit-out-while-dolphins-check-out-small-school-players/

Highndsight is 20/20

Jamarcus Russell was the #1 pick while Joe Thomas was the #3 in 07', want to ask the Raiders who'd they'd rather have today? Besides, Cosell said it himself, Long is a 4 time pro-bowler. This article screams "stupid"

The Dolphins followed a 1-15 season by winning the Division the next after the Long pick...

Why aren't there articles out there for the Rams not taking Matt Ryan over Chris Long, that seems like to be the bigger miss then the Dolphins taking Jake.

**** these talking heads!

This story is like the chewing gum that gets stuck on your shoe in the parking lot, and it just won't go away. Matty "Ice" Ryan has won as many playoff games as I have....NONE. This guy wilts in big games. I would rather have a guy who has gone to four straight pro bowls in four seasons and is on his way to a Hall of Fame career....Jake Long.

Jake Long was a great pick, and it's really difficult to say whether or not Matt Ryan would be doing as well here as he is (during the regular season) in ATL. If Ryan was a Dolphin, and he could have the same statistical success as a Falcon, then he should have been the pick. But could Sparano and company really develop a franchise QB?

Haha...gotta love this debate..I am not in any way upset that Miami didnt draft Matt Ryan...When Miami took Jake Long and Penny fell into our laps our Front office looked like gods...after Penny got hurt it was all on Chad Henne to make something of the Dolphins..we all know how that ended...Miami knew that Ryan was not worth the #1 pick and he is still not... Ryan was looking to cash in as the #1 pick...He didnt want to be a Dolphin, as others have pointed out Ryan has not won a playoff game and has looked pretty awful when playing in them.

All this says to me is something most of already know or should. Passing the ball and defending the pass via pass rushers and cornerbacks is what matters in today's NFL.

The best quarterbacks are typically the division winners and eventual super bowl champs. These guys are throwing for 400 yards a game at unheard of completion percentages. Richardson, Reiff or Decastro are not the answer in the upcoming draft.

I used to be okay with the jake long pick over Ryan but as time has moved on I realize more and more what a mistake it was

On the basis of actual accomplishments in season AND post season, possession of the obvious winner's mindset and clutch gene, etc., it's clear that a do-over based on the 20/20 hindsight, would have us take Joe Flacco. If we could have picked up another pick by trading down far enough to still be in front of the Ravens, all the better, but even if not, he's been the best 2008 pick and as such an argument can be made from the rear view mirror, worthy of the #1 pick.

Matt Ryan is the most overrated QB in the the NFL. The best QB to come out of that draft was Flacco. I'd still take Jake (/Jerod Mayo/Aqib Talib/Clady).

Matt Ryan is not in the (hindsight) best 20 players of that draft. He might not even crack 30. I don't understand why people still think Matt Ryan can play QB. Watch some Falcons games.

Parcells and co wanted to play it safe. Big Jake is a high quality LT and at the time seemed the safest bet. Parcells had had the luck to find Tony Romo from nowhere and probably expected to be able to replicate that sort success.
Finding a long term QB has been a total failure for over 12 years. Hindsight now tells us that Matty Ice was probably the better pick. However, we still got a top class player, who is set for many good years if we can afford to keep him.

Back
Top Bottom