More on Udeze from PFT | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More on Udeze from PFT

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
This is actually interesting stuff. The agent denies anything, says teams can look at the MRI pictures if they want...however the fact of the matter still is that Udeze missed the medical re-check in Indy...and according to PFT (who does have verified relationships with active NFL professional agents) a player should not ever miss the medical re-check.

UDEZE'S AGENT TALKS TO PFT

After reading agent Thomas Barnes' quotes in Wednesday's Florida Times-Union (scroll down for the story), we here at Profootballtalk.com decided to pick up the phone and give Mr. Barnes a call to discuss the rampant rumors regarding the condition of defensive end Kenechi Udeze's shoulder.

We started the conversation with a simple question -- Is it true that Udeze didn't show for the combine medical re-check?

Barnes' response: "It's true."

Barnes told us that Udeze had a scheduling conflict that prevented him from flying back to Indy for the April 2 session. Barnes also explained that Udeze offered to make the trek at a later date -- and at his own expense.

On the surface, it seems like a common-sensical gesture. As a league source later told us, however, the problem is that the medical re-check is attended by NFL team doctors who fly back to Indy on a date certain. Thus, as a practical matter, postponement isn't an option.

The source also told us that, contrary to Barnes' statements in the Times-Union, the issue isn't Udeze's rotator cuff, but his labrum.

So with a possibly torn labrum, how can a guy bench press 225 pounds 25 times at his pro day workout?

Per the source, use of a closed grip transfers much of the strain from the shoulders to the triceps (feel free to try this at your desks -- the boss isn't looking). So, in theory, a guy with a bad labrum or two can still throw up the iron.

On the field, however, a torn labrum will manifest itself when a defensive end tries to extend his arms to fight off a blocker.

Barnes told the Times-Union that an MRI was conducted on Udeze's shoulder, and that teams can review the image of the joint.

We asked our source whether a torn labrum can be spotted on an MRI.

"Sure," the source said. "It's like spotting a whore in church."

We appreciate the fact that Barnes chose to speak with us, but the situation could be another example of what can happen when an inexperienced agent gets his baptism into the business with a first-rounder as a client. Barnes first became certified by the NFLPA in September 2003, and we've been told that he was able to land Udeze in part because Barnes gave a job to Udeze's brother.

By the way, Barnes has no other active clients.

And as any experienced agent knows, no player ever should fail to report to the medical re-check. Ever.

Let's try that again.

Ever.

Although Udeze visited Jacksonville, Detroit, Washington, and Minnesota last week, it's unknown whether and to what extent team doctors examined Udeze's shoulder. The Jags, as reported by the Times-Union, didn't.

So the end result is that there's now a cloud hovering over Udeze, regardless of the fact that he recorded three sacks in the Rose Bowl after suffering the shoulder injury in a late-season game against Oregon State. And Barnes will now be hard pressed to remove any doubt regarding Udeze's shoulder in the hours that remain before Commissioner Paul Tagliabue starts butchering names at the MSG podium.

And maybe that's the silver lining for Udezi. If he's on the board after Tags hands the reins to Gene Washington, his family will never have to hear (obstruct nostrils before speaking):

"With the ninth pick in the draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select Ken-eck-Hi You-Deez."

I still don't think he makes it to #20, but heck its still pretty interesting. Could be bad news for us though because the Jags were rumored to be interested in a WR, Udeze, or Andrews. Mike Williams could be off the board, and now if they are uncomfortable with Udeze...well, that hurts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope his agent is paying his brother a LOT of money... cause it sounds like his little mishap could cost his client millions.

I'm not sure this is the agent's fault. Sometimes clients do not listen. That's life. You can tell your client to do something and he can ignore you. Believe me it happens. :fire:

If Udeze missed the re-check for spurrious reasons, I have to think its because the agent didn't communicate exactly how important it was to go to the re-check. If you tell Udeze that going to the re-check is as important as going to the Combine itself, I think he would have gone. Given the agent's inexperience...I would err on the side of saying the agent didn't tell him how important it was.

ckparrothead said:
If Udeze missed the re-check for spurrious reasons, I have to think its because the agent didn't communicate exactly how important it was to go to the re-check. If you tell Udeze that going to the re-check is as important as going to the Combine itself, I think he would have gone. Given the agent's inexperience...I would err on the side of saying the agent didn't tell him how important it was.

Maybe, but somehow I don't think that it is that unusual for a star player to ignore his agent. We just don't know, and I'd hesitate to smack on a guy for it.

ckparrothead said:
I still don't think he makes it to #20, but heck its still pretty interesting. Could be bad news for us though because the Jags were rumored to be interested in a WR, Udeze, or Andrews. Mike Williams could be off the board, and now if they are uncomfortable with Udeze...well, that hurts.

Maybe we can offer the Jags a DE and a WR, and they can give us a first and a third. Getting rid of DT does nothing for the cap, but I wouldn't mind it at all under this sort of circumstance... ;)

UDEZE FLUNKED JAGS' PHYSICAL?

Contrary to published reports that the Jacksonville Jaguars didn't examine defensive end Kenechi Udeze when he visited the team on April 12 -- and therefore they necessarily are in the dark regarding the condition of his shoulder -- a league source tells us that the Jags did in fact examine Udeze, and that he flunked the physical.

So why wouldn't the Jags say so? Because there's still a chance that other teams will think the Jaguars want to draft Udeze, which could prompt a lower-positioned team to jump above Jacksonville to take Udeze, which would push another guy whom the Jags might take farther down the board.

Looks like the plot thickens. Udeze may or may not have failed his physical with the Jags.

ckparrothead said:
PFT again.

I can see why you wouldn't want to mention that. :lol:

Seriously, this is really the sort of information that I love getting from PFT. We have no idea if it is true, and I doubt we ever will, but knowing that it might be informing the choices that the Jags make will add a real sense of intrigue to the second hour or so of the draft.

I don't know. There's some pretty condemning stuff to read into the whole saga. One is the fact that he didn't show to the re-check, which according to PFT and the agents they know, you never ever ever skip out on. Another is that the agent actually saw what they wrote and responded...which means PFT might have touched a nerve.

The agent admits the shoulder is injured and that he missed the re-check. Those two alone could have cost Udeze a top 10 selection.

Back
Top Bottom