More Robert Edwards this week? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More Robert Edwards this week?

Surferosa

Run to Daylight
Reaction score
Given that Ricky took such a pounding last week (36 carries), and given the Broncos ability to stuff the run, I can see Edwards getting more time in the backfield as Norv opens up the offense a bit. I think it will hurt Ricky's productivity in the long run if he continues to get 30+ carries a game, even if we are eating clock and winning games in the short term. Dont know about you all, but I am very scared of Ricky wearing down by years end.

Or, on the other hand, maybe they run him hard for the next two weeks until the bye in week 8. Than Ricky can rest his body and prepare for the second half of the season.

This is going to be another aggressive, physical game.

What do you guys think?

More Robert Edwards this week?

Not if we keep to the game plan. Ricky is the horse the Dolphins are riding and he is going to run. If we fall behind Norv may again pull out the two minute O, then yes Edwards gets more work. If not , I think they use Ricky just as they have done before. Which is if the game is won early, Ricky comes out , otherwise he runs till the end.

If they do open it up, I would rather have Ricky blocking. :cool:

I just hope the guy's body holds up for 19 games.

if you read this http://www.miami.com/mld/miami/sports/football/nfl/miami_dolphins/4235147.htm you will see that we are resting Ricky by Norv and Wanne stds. , i.e. they think RW is better in every way than Edwards, including catching the ball, but want to give him a blow on 3rd down in passing situations. I would rather see Edwards get in there for a series to give a RW a blow, but who I am....
''He won't take many hits [in practice], I can tell you that -- tell you that for a fact,'' Wannstedt said

Thing is, Im not so much talking about giving him a breather because hes "tired", Im talking about reducing his number of carries so he doesnt keep getting pounded every play. Resting Ricky on 3rd and 8 and putting Edwards in the game doenst reduce the pounding that he is getting, because most likely we are throwing in that situation and Ricky wont be on the bottom of a pile.

By protecting Ricky, we either have to throw the ball with more consistently, or sub in Edwards to be the #1 back for 2-3 series a game, to minimize the number of times Ricky touches the ball.

Again, Im not suggesting that that is the best strategy, but this is my concern. Ricky "Resting" on 3rd and 8 doesnt concern me - 35 more carries versus the physical Broncos D, now that concerns me.

I too like the idea of giving some other guys some chances to carry the ball in games. Not a lot, just a couple times, or so.

I even like the idea of having Konrad carry it when Ricky is in the game, as well.

Ricky is our workhorse, but there comes a time when even a workhorse needs a breather.

Ideally I would like to see Ricky get between 20-25 carries, and 2-5 passes a game.

I have a feeling that the Phins will throw more to the backs and

TE's more this week.

Think about it Denver has shown they can stop the run, and we

have not been having a lot of success passing. Which means

Denver will be gearing up to stop the run (much like the Pats

did); Denver is a ball hawking D much like the Phins (which can

cause them to overpursue like we've done in the past; see JETS

games) and as a result can open our passing game underneath

to our backs. We cannot afford Ricky to take another pounding

like he took against NE, so look for Konrad, Edwards and T.Minor

to be used a lot as receivers out of the backfield. This does

not mean we won't see Ricky (I think we learned our lesson with

KC fiasco ); it just means we'll see our other backs more this week

than we've see in the previous five games. Also remember the

play action pass will be crucial and of upmost importance in order

to get those backs and Randy McMichael into the mix.

Note: Remember those game in the nineties against the Bills where we knew that they were going to run Thurman, and we'd gear up for the run....only to have Kenneth Davis bust us up by catching passes out of the back field and what was more baffling was that Thurman always ended up getting his yards? (Reed also got his yards). That is what I think the Phins will try to do to Denver.

I agree with SGT. I'm looking for McMichael to have a big game, as well as Konrad. With O'Neal probably on Chambers the whole day, Gadsden will probably see some balls, due to the physical mismatch with Walker. Ward and McKnight should be free for some catches as well. The best thing Norv can do is see how offenses played our D the last 3 seasons. Thats how Denver plays, stop the run with your front 7, then leave the safeties back in pass support......

Also, I don't think we'll see more Robert Edwards. The best way to attack this rush D is hit them up the middle, they are too quick on the outside. Ricky is the best back for that......

great points all around Marion. nice analysis

Is it just me or has Travis Minor become the forgotten man? He's not too shabby coming out of the backfield?

He has been the odd man out. Ricky is the man. Edwards is tough up the middle and quick to the outside. Travis Minor is only quick to the outside. With him, if he gets the ball, its probably going outside. With Edwards, you don't know. I would think that they would throw him in there to confuse the defense a little though......

I think Norv should use Edwards more this upcoming game. Why? Well you know Denver is watching all the game film on Ricky and is really gearing up for him. If we use Edwards more, then Denver won't exactly have a game plan for him.

Think I'm wrong? Watch the game last year when Bledsoe got hurt. Brady comes in and the defense, while still playing well, wasn't sure how to handle him.

I'm not saying to take Ricky out of it. No way, but use Edwards more. We'll need to mix them up so they're not sure exactly whats coming. While my suggestion may be wrong, it's just an idea. And I think we cannot stick to just a "run up the middle" game like last time.

And we need to get to Brian Griese. If he's on the move, it's a good thing for us.

Back
Top Bottom