Mort's take on Fiedler | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mort's take on Fiedler

LeftCoastPhin

Getting geeked for 2003!!
Reaction score
quote from Mort on ESPN.com/NFL

"I think the Dolphins really need to reassess the quarterback position. I have been a defender of Jay Fiedler but I think the addition of Williams -- who played beyond my expectations -- shows that your QB still must make plays at critical times in order to advance. I think the Dolphins need to open up the job to competition with somebody new in the mix."
? ESPN's Chris Mortensen

Now I know Mort is not all knowing but he's a solid football guy and his opinion carries weight.

I'd agree with that. Put someone in there to push Jay for the starting job and you'd have one of two things happen: Either Jay would excel and step up to the plate to become a Pro Bowl QB, or the other guy would push him out of the starting job thus giving all you Jay haters your wish. Either way it would be a win win situation.

I feel exactly as Mort does that Jay needs to be pushed as both a starter in 2003 and to stay w/the team beyond. Particurlay, if he gets hurt, the guy who comes in should be able to play well enough that we are arguing whether to leave him in like Bulger/Holcomb, etc have done as opposed to Lucas.

Wanne is to much of a wimp to handle a QB controversy but let's hope the fact that he will lose his job if we fall flat next year will motivate him.

Originally posted by LeftCoastPhin
Wanne is to much of a wimp to handle a QB controversy but let's hope the fact that he will lose his job if we fall flat next year will motivate him.

He handled one at the beginning of this year (seem's so long ago now doesn't it, when so many were screaming for Lucas to start) but he stuck with his starter, and it definately appears he was right.

Barbarian: do you enjoy contradicting everything I say? Jesus man, give me a break. Besides, you are WRONG. That was hardly a controversy, it was barely even anything. He said, "there will be no controversy" Sounds pretty clear to me.

I seem to remember SoFla media types saying that they are less worried about how BAD Ray Lucas might perform in Fiedler's absence, and much much more worried about how GOOD Lucas might perform. I believe Cote tried to go as far as predict a controversy when Fiedler got healthy.

I would agree slightly with Mort on this, I think we do need to re-assess Fiedler and our brand of "mistake-free" quarterbacking. Problem with Fiedler is his mistake-free approach up until this year was riddled with mistakes. Now, less so, but two out of three years he's taken a serious injury (or injuries) as starter for us now, and we might start to think less about a quarterback that won't make any mistakes and would run our offense "efficiently" and more about a quarterback that has the ability to make plays himself. When was the last time we saw one of out quarterbacks MAKE a play...with his ARM, not his feet? And its not like Fiedler's dazzling anyone and showing flashes of Mike Vick with his feet either.

I like Fiedler. I think he is serviceable. I think we can win a super bowl with him. Doesn't mean we shouldn't keep looking to see if there's another guy out there. It wouldn't be the end of the world of he continued as our QB, and it wouldn't be the end of the world if we sought a guy who might be able to make those plays.

God I wish we had Pennington...

Barbarian: do you enjoy contradicting everything I say? Jesus man, give me a break. Besides, you are WRONG. That was hardly a controversy, it was barely even anything. He said, "there will be no controversy" Sounds pretty clear to me.
I do enjoy it when your wrong. Your wrong about Feidler and your wrong about this (the only 2 things I can recall nailing you on, but there might be more)

Do you recall the outcries on the boards and the media questioning him on the move. It got so bad that even Lucas had to come out and say that Jay Feidler is the starter of this team. The media tried desperately to make a big deal about this but Dave and Ray and Jay and the Team in general stood their collective ground and refused to let the Media circus take hold of this team.

That is leadership.

You think I'm wrong and I think you're wrong. Let's let it go at that.

I also wish we had Pennington, now there is a REAL QB. The class of the AFC east. Fiedler, on the other hand is the weakest in the AFC East. Jets kicking butt in the playoffs and we are at home. Coincidence? I think not.

You think I'm wrong and I think you're wrong. Let's let it go at that.

I also wish we had Pennington, now there is a REAL QB. The class of the AFC east. Fiedler, on the other hand is the weakest in the AFC East. Jets kicking butt in the playoffs and we are at home. Coincidence? I think not.

Well, I will agree about Penington... the kid is a stud, I said before the season that if NY got their heads out of their collective arses and started him over Stinkaverde they'd be dangerous.

I'd love to have a QB of that quality. Unfortunately I just don't see any available.

Mort said we would be terrible this year (I thought we were terrible but he thought we would have a losing season). Mort said in one of his latest articles that Ricky was the sixth best offensive player this year, and had the nerve to put CHARLIE GARNER, whose recieving and running yards combined is barely more then Ricky's running yards. Garner, who didn't have 1000 of anything, and was their third reciever, ahead of Ricky. Garner is good but come on. Mort is one of the worst sports writers out there.

Well think about this. Chris Chambers caught 52 balls for 734 yards after catching 48 for 883 yards last year. Sophomore slump? I dunno, together Lucas and Fiedler had right around 3100 yards passing, Fiedler alone on pace for about 3250 yards. The addition of Ricky to the running game should have helped the passing game, but it did not.

So, looking at the weakness in WR numbers, do we blame OG, J-Mac, Ward, and Chambers? Are they the problem? Or is it Fiedler? I think OG and Ward were problems, but I do not believe Chambers and J-Mac were...

I'll tell you the problem ..............

Offense was on doing great before Fiedler and Gadsen injuries.McMichael was getting open abd being part of the passing game which helps the receivers on the outside.Even Ward was looking good at #3 receiver.We all know what happen when Lucas was in there.When Fiedler got back McMichael wasn't producing and receivers on the oustside were not getting open ..Acutally Gadsen was a big loss in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom