Most Concerns : Offense Or Defense?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Most Concerns : Offense Or Defense??

BLITZKRIEG

~LACUNA LEGIONS~
Reaction score
The day we landed OC N. Turner, my offensive worries were gone. He's one of the best in the NFL, and he'll make this offense much more dangerous.....NO WORRIES ON OFFENSE.

The defense is another story however. My main concern is along the DL, at DT. Sure, we've got two big guys in there now to stop the run, but so far they haven't been able to get it done.

I'm starting to see a very similar problem that arose last season at DT. Minor injuries that lingered during the regular season had us in a huge hole late in the season at DT. We're still digging out of it as of today, and that digging is starting to look like a problem we'll be dealing with once the season starts again this year.....

I've heard rumors that we may trade DT E. Grant. That would leave us with J. Haley and H. Taylor as the front runners at back-up. I know JH can fill in alright, but I have no clue as to what HT can do if given the opportunity......We have question marks behind LC and TB at DT.

The DE's are looking rather good. I think Dave and Rick made a smart decision dumping D. Gardener and finding solid replacements. J. Williams has been much better than I expected, and along with D. Bowens and A. Ogunleye, we'll be just fine in the pass rush department. Compared to last season, we're much more prepared at DE I think.....

If I had to choose ONE POSITION that troubles me, it would have to be at DT. Stopping the run is a must for us this season, and so far, we haven't been able to stop anybody.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

What troubles me most is the OL. Aside from Todd Wade, we're really uncertain there. If we were totally healthy, I'd be very happy and I'm sure we'd be getting better production out of them. But we're just not very good up there at this point. And we need to be because Ricky isn't the type of RB that darts to the hole. Just doesn't have the speed. He needs a sustained crease. The lineman need to hold blocks a minimum of three seconds after the snap. And for the past 12 months. They haven't done it.

We'll see what happens.

I am w/you Blitz. Stopping the run is my #1 concern. Look at it this way - if we can play D like we did last year (reg. season) we will be at least 11-5 since Ricky and Norv will help us win games - solid OL or not.

I think the DL will be OK as long the OL allows the RB to move the changes. The phins should DQ the DBs and LOL at the LBs as long as the CBs dont SD. If all this happens we should see the SB. Whatever, I'm so confused now. Where's my TQ.
TY

I think if we can come out and score early and often then the run D won't be so much of a concern.. Last year we were always behind in games and the other team would just pound away at us. I think with Norv we will jump ahead early and we will be the one's pounding away.
That said, I hope the Special Teams clean it up or they will be a big concern..

I'm concerned about the OL as well, but...

Originally posted by Muck
What troubles me most is the OL. Aside from Todd Wade, we're really uncertain there. If we were totally healthy, I'd be very happy and I'm sure we'd be getting better production out of them. But we're just not very good up there at this point. And we need to be because Ricky isn't the type of RB that darts to the hole. Just doesn't have the speed. He needs a sustained crease. The lineman need to hold blocks a minimum of three seconds after the snap. And for the past 12 months. They haven't done it.

We'll see what happens.

... I think once the season gets going we'll see the real OL. I firmly believe a HB makes an OL great. We havenb't seen the real RW's yet, not even close. In addition to that I don't think they are showing everything they have in the pre-season. This includes blocking schemes and stunts that they will employ during the reg-season on the OL.

Like you say we'll see. :)

I'm more concerned about consistency on the O..I know we can throw, but can we run..Nails, Ruddy, Todd are the key to this..they've been playing individual ball, trying to win the starting job..now we need them to play as a team to get victories..Passing w/o running=early exit from playoffs.

The offense concerns me more than the defense. Here are some of my concerns: How will Konrad, McMichael, and Weaver do in the new TE/FB friendly system? Can Fiedler cut down his INTs? Can the OL stay healthy?

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG
The day we landed OC N. Turner, my offensive worries were gone. He's one of the best in the NFL, and he'll make this offense much more dangerous.....NO WORRIES ON OFFENSE.

The defense is another story however. My main concern is along the DL, at DT. Sure, we've got two big guys in there now to stop the run, but so far they haven't been able to get it done.

I'm starting to see a very similar problem that arose last season at DT. Minor injuries that lingered during the regular season had us in a huge hole late in the season at DT. We're still digging out of it as of today, and that digging is starting to look like a problem we'll be dealing with once the season starts again this year.....

I've heard rumors that we may trade DT E. Grant. That would leave us with J. Haley and H. Taylor as the front runners at back-up. I know JH can fill in alright, but I have no clue as to what HT can do if given the opportunity......We have question marks behind LC and TB at DT.

The DE's are looking rather good. I think Dave and Rick made a smart decision dumping D. Gardener and finding solid replacements. J. Williams has been much better than I expected, and along with D. Bowens and A. Ogunleye, we'll be just fine in the pass rush department. Compared to last season, we're much more prepared at DE I think.....

If I had to choose ONE POSITION that troubles me, it would have to be at DT. Stopping the run is a must for us this season, and so far, we haven't been able to stop anybody.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

same goes for me. DT is the biggest concern right now. i feel Dixon and smith/spriggs will solidify the LT spot. dixon will make the spot much better for us and take the pressure and rest the other two whichever one stays. keep in mind spriggs played right tackle in buffalo and i think that is where he could end up.
But the DT spot as far as our starters go, i am worried. not that bowens and chester cant play. i know they can play, but the nagging injuries that will build as the season progresses. As far as Henry Taylor, he is the best DT we have that was shown in preseason IMO. however, that is really not saying much since i believe Bowens is just simply trying to save himself for when it counts. therefore chester is getting a bad rap for some sorry ass play when it doesnt count. i think those two will prevail. But for how long? that is where the problem lies. But Henry Taylor is for real! get that man some PT! and watch him grow!

Originally posted by booyeah_
The offense concerns me more than the defense. Here are some of my concerns: How will Konrad, McMichael, and Weaver do in the new TE/FB friendly system? Can Fiedler cut down his INTs? Can the OL stay healthy?

that is not really a concern to me. i thnk for the very things you mention that Fiedler will cut down on his his INT. here is why. In norvs offense,hit guys in the flat with the FB/RB and TE over the middle for 5 yard quick hits, and then go deep with the speed. he spreads the field. this will enable JF to keep double coverage off his guys. we are not showing that right now cus they dont want to! with screens and draws and such, if it is working, then JF will do very well, if does not work all that well, then i would start to worry. that is of course until Mcmicheal and chambers make incredible plays and get us back into the mix! but the bread and butter offers very little chance for INT. plus with mcmicheal being so dangerous, JF will be doing some fake rollouts to bring the defense to its knees. there is no doubt JF will make mistakes. it is a new offense and he has some new weapons to get used to but by mid season, i think JF will shine! and that is when we will need it most!

Re: I'm concerned about the OL as well, but...

Originally posted by Oliver

... I think once the season gets going we'll see the real OL. I firmly believe a HB makes an OL great. We havenb't seen the real RW's yet, not even close. In addition to that I don't think they are showing everything they have in the pre-season. This includes blocking schemes and stunts that they will employ during the reg-season on the OL.

Like you say we'll see. :)

I believe a great RB can make a bad oline look good. i believe a good oline can make a good RB great. i believe an average RB can make an average Oline look average. i believe RW is a good RB. can he be great? only with a great Oline. make any sense? :lol:

Other concerns shared by Wanny:

QUOTES
Head Coach Dave Wannstedt (On the progress of CB Jamar Fletcher) – “He really hasn’t been tested much. Hopefully they’ll throw some balls to him this week. Between this week and next week, he’ll get a lot of action. He’s been steady and he’s made some plays. I think he’s progressing. I just want to see it in a game.â€Â

(on G Jamie Nails’ performance) – “I knew he had ability. He started as a rookie in Buffalo on a pretty good Buffalo (Bills) team. When he came out, everyone said that he had the toughness, he had the intelligence and he had athletc ability, but (the question was) whether he could get into playing shape.â€Â

Back
Top Bottom