Most Important Positions (Miami ranks) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Most Important Positions (Miami ranks)

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
I was talking with my football buddies and we started to rank the most important positions. Here is my rankings with Miami grade next to it (1-10, 10 best, 5 average).

1. QB (3) - With the game on the line no player can affect it more. I can see Feeley picking his game way up, maybe to 5-6 this year.

2. LT (2) - Since the qb is so important protecting his blind side is nearly as important. Big plays come when the qb has time to throw. I don't know if there is a legit LT on our team right now, but I'm anxious to see if Carey or Alibi can develop.

3. DE (8), DT (4) - It all starts up front as far as stopping the run and pressuring the qb. DE's used to be considered more important, but the top DT's that can rush the passer can really mess up an offense. Miami is set at DE with Taylor/Carter and have good depth with Roth, D. Bowens. However, there is age there. At DT, the team is a bit below average IMO and will likely need at least one young talent in the coming draft/offseason.

4. WR/TE (7) - This may seem like a high ranking, but with the rule changes these are the players making the biggest plays. If Boston is completely healthy, Miami is very strong at wr.

5. DB (6) - The job of the DB's is tougher than ever with the rule changes and the influx of a lot of quality wr's over the last 3-5 years. Miami may be pretty strong if Daniels proves to be the real deal opposite Madison.

6. RT (6) - McDougal has a ton of potential.

7. LB (7) - With so many teams moving to 3-4 alignments, I think LB becomes a bigger need. A lot of these players now are smaller DE's who can wreck havok on the passing game. Miami has some age here, but also some intriguing young prospects.

8. RB (8) - Tough call. On the one hand, a great running back can make a huge difference. But I don't think a rb can carry a team that doesn't have much else on offense so I ranked it a little lower. Miami could be in great shape at rb if Williams returns to form and Brown is the real deal.

9. C (4) - There don't seem to be very many good centers in the NFL right now and the best offensive linemen in college usually play tackle. Seth McKinney is a major question mark right now, but I think the team has some other viable options in Hadnot or Sinclair.

10. G (5) - I expect James to rebound and Hadnot was pretty good as a rookie.

11. S (4) - It's important, but it seems like safeties are found frequently enough in mid to late rounds.

12. K (8), Punter (5) - Mare is great on kickoffs and above average on FG's. Turk is average.

13. Fullback (5) - This was an important position in the 60's and 70's, but has slowly become less important. A lot of teams hardly use a fullback these days.

I think it's unfair to grade some of the positions on the team until we have a year under Saban, Houck and Linehan. It's hard to compare what we had last year to this year. I know it's slow until the end of July but grading the same palyer and position to last year and the that coaching staff is just impossible.

whatever happens we will get an instant upgrade over last season. QB position will be instrumental to improvement tho IMO. Be it Feeley or Gus. OL just has to be better than last season.

hdjetta6316 said:
Honestly i think that was pretty accurate. Good post.

Yeah, sort of like predicting the top 10 in NEXT April's NFL draft. BEFORE a single college game has been played this season. :rolleyes:

feelthepain said:
I think it's unfair to grade some of the positions on the team until we have a year under Saban, Houck and Linehan. It's hard to compare what we had last year to this year. I know it's slow until the end of July but grading the same palyer and position to last year and the that coaching staff is just impossible.

True. In fact, I fully expect to be better at qb and all-around on the offensive line. I can see Feeley being a little better than average this year, although honestly I don't know what to expect at all from LT.

Whitedolphin54 said:
QB__OL___DL___CB'S in that order

I can't argue with that, although I think LT is by far the most important position on the offensive line -- unless your qb is lefthanded.

SF Dolphin Fan said:
I can't argue with that, although I think LT is by far the most important position on the offensive line -- unless your qb is lefthanded.

I would normally say that LT is the most important position on the O Line, But when we had Dwight in the 80's IMO Ctr was the most important. We did have J Giesler (underrated aswell) at LT for most part, but Dwight was the man ;)

hdjetta6316 said:
Honestly i think that was pretty accurate. Good post.

Yea me too. I agree with a lot of it and I recognize this is just food for discussion and not premature judgement of Saban or anything. i'd say our WR/TE could be even 9, but the fact the QB's have not been able to get them the ball consistently hurts. This is affected by the low line ratings, especially LT (which are probably accurate but should improve under Houck). Honestly, I don't see many teams with better talent at WR/TE.

Nice post!

Whitedolphin54 said:
I would normally say that LT is the most important position on the O Line, But when we had Dwight in the 80's IMO Ctr was the most important. We did have J Giesler (underrated aswell) at LT for most part, but Dwight was the man ;)

Dwight Stephenson was incredible, maybe the best offensive lineman Miami has ever had. I was reading an article that said he weighed just 255, but man was he powerful. That was such a huge loss when his career ended due to injury.

Back
Top Bottom