Much anticipated workout of WR Mike Williams | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Much anticipated workout of WR Mike Williams

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
As per the article on ESPN Insider...

He showed up just over 6'4" 228 lbs with a wingspan bigger than any of the first round WRs (almost 35" I believe). Showed up a month ago weighing 240 lbs and out of shape, but nutritionist says he can stay in the shape he currently is if he works at it...otherwise if he gets lazy he could eat his way into the TE position.

He ran on a fast rubbery track, wind gusting between 15-20 mph. Ran a 4.58 with the wind, and a 4.67 against the wind.

Impressive 37 inch vertical, 10'1" broad jump. 6.95 in 3-cone drill.

10-yard splits were 1.62 and 1.64 which is better than average for his size.

Bad short shuttle of 4.36 though he did run it on grass.

Trainer said that he is a good kid, won't get into off-field trouble, but he's immature...only 20 years old...will be a while before he's able to handle mental pressures of NFL.

Dropped 2 balls early in the drill but settled in and showed nice soft hands and phenomenal body control in adjusting to the ball in the air. Explosiveness was not good though, lacks explosive burst and doesn't make sharp cuts in his routes. Clearly not a burner who will outrun defensive backs in the NFL, and not much explosion in and out of his breaks.

Overall the workout told us nothing we didn't already know about him...shouldn't have really helped or hurt his draft status. Solidifies him as the 3rd best WR behind Larry Fitzgerald and Roy Williams...will be a top 15 pick possibly to the Falcons at #8 or the Jaguars at #9.

BTW I'm personally of the mind that drafting a sophomore WR is better than drafting a sophomore at just about any other position. The sooner you get them learning the pros the quicker in their career they will be able to contribute...just keep in mind that right away just about no sophomore will be ready to make an impact immediately.

I can only think of my friend Elgin who was one of the best WR prospects in the country coming out of high school. He was recruited to UF as the best of three exciting young prospects...Jabbar Gaffney, Taylor Jacobs, and Elgin Hicks. Then his girlfriend had a kid. She lived in Tampa, he left UF to go there to USF, got into academic trouble at UF...faced some injuries...and ended up playin on a USF squad with a QB that didn't get him the ball as much as he should have. Now Scouts Inc doesn't even have him listed as an undrafted prospect. They have Huey Whittaker and Chris Iskra, but not him. Weird.

This is a dude that was about 6 foot ran a 4.4 and caught for 2300 yards and like 35 TDs...in one year, during high school.

ESPN reported on TV that Williams's forty times were 4.45 with the wind and 4.53 against the wind.

I wonder who has the wrong information? Those are some varying forty times.

NFL.com posted a slightly different set of numbers...

Williams (6-4 5/8, 228) ran his 40s for times of 4.56 with the wind and 4.62 against the wind. He had a 37-inch vertical jump, a 10-1 long jump, a 4.34 short shuttle and a 6.84 three-cone. They say he looked good in the workout.

NFL | Williams Has Good Pro Day Outing - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 16:11:08 -0700

NFL.com reports NFL draft prospect WR Mike Williams (Southern California) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.56 seconds with the wind and 4.62 seconds against the wind during his Pro Day workout Thursday, April 8, at the University of South Florida in Tampa, Florida. Williams also had a 37-inch vertical jump and registered a long jump of 10 feet, 1 inches. He also ran a 4.34 time in the short shuttle and a 6.84 time in the three-cone drill. Not all 32 teams were present, but every team with a pick in the top 10 of the April 24-25 NFL Draft was in attendance.

Kffl as well was different from yours...........

The report I got was from Scouts Inc and ESPN Insider. Of the three sets of times, there's only one that comes from a pay service for whatever THAT is worth (probably not much). Since two of the times are similar I think its safe to say that he ran somewhere around a 4.56 and 4.57 with the wind, and between 4.62 and 4.67 against the wind.

Of course once you adjust for the fact that he ran on a rubber track in his hometown, those numbers turn into between a 4.7 and 4.8.

Take it for what it's worth, but this is from PFT

MIKE WILLIAMS BLOWS IT
One of our moles tells us that USC receiver Mike Williams stunk up his workout on Thursday afternoon with a 4.6 in the 40.

The run occurred on a fast service, which per the mole means that the time will be adjusted to 4.72 to 4.75.

With numbers like that, the guy whom many viewed as a potential top five pick likely will be on the board longer than Maurice Clarett, whose lawsuit opened the door for Williams to make a premature jump to the NFL.

Will any of this be on sportscenter or something?

They mentioned it on Sportscenter, but the funny thing is, his 40 times are all over the place. I've heard anything from 4.45 to 4.62

I didn't know that he was that "slow".With those times he could drop to....us?But with those times would we want him?I know he can make some plays as I saw some of those myself but is not the same in the NFL.What do you guys think?

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom