My Blueprint to an Immediate Offense Rivaling New England's | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Blueprint to an Immediate Offense Rivaling New England's

That young man from STANFORD (forgot his name) is the best TE: his only problem is that he doesn't play for the #1 ranked team in the country.

Zach Ertz is who I want as well but most will think he's a reach at 12. Maybe we trade down, get another second round pick, and pick up Ertz at 20ish? I don't know.

Look at those two lists. What is it about NE list that is different from our list??

OMG! Where is your friggin TE!!! Fasano is a FA.
Major fail.

This was mainly a 1st round thread, but I'd go after a TE in free agency. Jared Cook is my primary target, but Dustin Keller is an obvious alternative. I honestly don't like this draft for tight ends, Tyler Eifert doesn't even impress me all that much and he is the top rated TE.

I dont want someone else's garbage that will cost too much. There are good TE's in this draft early and they have to be taken in rounds 1-3. The teams who take these guys will be much better teams for doing so.

Look at those two lists. What is it about NE list that is different from our list??

OMG! Where is your friggin TE!!! Fasano is a FA.
Major fail.

It 's my fault, I submitted before I proof read and there is an error which will not allow me to edit the post again. I'm all for signing Jared Cook from Tennessee, and Dustin Keller from you know where as an alternative in free agency. If there is a stud TE still available after "my" Robert Woods pick in the 2nd round, I'd go after him, however I do not think Ertz will be there. Although thanks for patronizing the whole thing, I appreciate it. I had no idea a tight end could possibly be involved in the receiving part of the game. We learn something new everyday. :idk:

Thts just not going to happen.we need DE and CB n TE as well as WR.

Zach Ertz is who I want as well but most will think he's a reach at 12. Maybe we trade down, get another second round pick, and pick up Ertz at 20ish? I don't know.

I think above everything Philbin wants smart football players, thats why I don't think Hartline is going anywhere and I think we'll either trade down or trade up to get Ertz late in the first.

It 's my fault, I submitted before I proof read and there is an error which will not allow me to edit the post again. I'm all for signing Jared Cook from Tennessee, and Dustin Keller from you know where as an alternative in free agency. If there is a stud TE still available after "my" Robert Woods pick in the 2nd round, I'd go after him, however I do not think Ertz will be there. Although thanks for patronizing the whole thing, I appreciate it. I had no idea a tight end could possibly be involved in the receiving part of the game. We learn something new everyday. :idk:

yeah sorry about the harshness. I am just a homer for someone. But damn Bro!

The Pats only have one guy that is a true "playmaker" and that is Gronk. Brady makes the rest of those guys better, they should give Brady half of their pay checks.

apparently you missed Hernandez in the first game. Second game too. He made a couple of plays. That is New England. They gameplan with all there guys involved. Intriquite sets and motions where even little danny woodhead scores. Gronk tends to make the big plays but really they all do plus Gronk has been injured just about evey year for a couple games it seems.

@abnormal You can't possibly be talking about the same team...every player I named(all their starters on offense) have tremendous speed, do you think Welker and Woodhead are slow? They have huge bursts of speed which is why their YAC is so good, our current core's YAC is absolutely awful...they seem to fall after every time they catch the ball for no reason as if they lack the instinct in making the bigger play after the pass has already been completed. Brady cannot make his receivers faster, and they're all damn fast as Hernandez and Gronk display fantastic athletic ability. Go look up Robert Woods, he is a complete juke artisit and a Reggie Bush type threat in open field...hell, he seems to display incredible YAC on any area of the field period. Justin Hunter is the same kind of receiver, but more physically gifted.

If I am GM, this is my blueprint and the guide I follow to create a respectable offense in Miami. Another FinHeaven poster, JMarino, has stated in a recent thread that the reason the Patriots stretch the field so well is because of their plethora of play makers. This is obvious, but what he further states is the addition of Brandon Marshall, and what he did for Miami and Chicago. Both franchises and their fans believed Marshall alone was the key to a top offense, and this is extremely flawed. Both Miami and Chicago have little, to no play makers behind Marshall to stretch the field with. Opposing defenses had no one else to respect on the field besides Marshall, and this limited his production, as well as the offense. The Patriots for example, have proven play makers all over the field that demand the defense's attention, and leave little room for double teams. We need Miami to follow the same suit in order to knock of Brady and Belichick's Patriots. Here is how we start.

In the 2013 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins trade down from their 12th pick in a trade to gain an additional 2nd rounder, sliding down to the 20-25 range. With their 1st round pick, they select Justin Hunter out of Tennessee. This kid has all the tools of an Olympic athlete, and I believe will leave an AJ Green type impact on an NFL offense in just year 2. The kid is an absolute stud, and will excel in everything the NFL combine throws at him. Everything. With the 1st round trade, we would gain our third 2nd round pick...giving us the advantage of selecting six players in the top 90 selections, an NFL best. With Miami choosing THREE times in the 2nd round, WR Robert Woods out of USC should be available with their 1st 2nd round selection. In selecting another top WR prospect in Woods, the Dolphins get a Mike Wallace type burner, and legitimate deep threat down field.

We all know we need to go hard in adding Greg Jennings, Mike Wallace or Dwayne Bowe in free agency, giving us yet another PROVEN play maker on offense for Ryan Tannehill. Let's say we add Jennings as he is clearly a Philbin guy. This leaves us with an offensive line up consisting of Greg Jennings, Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, an elite slot receiver in Davone Bess, and Reggie Bush for Tannehill to throw to. Hunter and Woods are obviously un proven at an NFL level going into the draft, but look these two up and tell me they do not have tremendous upside. I am drooling over the thought of this line up for Tannehill, and everyone knows this current offensive roster is devoid of play making talent.

The defense is solid, and has kept us in all but 2-3 games this season, all we needed was the offense to step up in its part, but it succeeded less than even 50% of the time and amounted to a total of 7 wins. The offense is the biggest issue by far, not the defense. We can line up a pass rusher opposite of Wake in the 2nd round, this is an extremely DE heavy draft and we do not have to use our 12th pick on the position. Werner will without a doubt be gone by then, however Barkevious Mingo may be on the board by our 12th pick, but racking up on picks for round 2 can prove a pass rusher of near equal upside as Mingo.

Elite offenses like New England have Gronkowski, Hernandez, Woodhead, Welker, and Ridley that demand attention and respect from opposing defenses, and all FIVE are homerun threats if not double covered in open field. We have one player on this roster who we can boast the same about, and that is Reggie Bush to no surprise. I would have little faith in Hartline, Bess, Moore, Matthews in shaking any defender downfield for the score. That is the different between New England, and Miami on offense. Tom Brady obviously leaves tremendous impact, but it finally looks like we have our QB, and we cannot waste time in supplying him play makers. That was Marino's downfall in his ringless career, devoid of a running game. The defense is near in place, but with additions of Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, and a Greg Jennings, Tannehill would have no excuse in a failed offense. The same goes to Mike Sherman.

Final Line-Ups:

Miami Dolphins: Greg Jennings/Mike Wallace - Reggie Bush - Justin Hunter - Robert Woods - Davone Bess - Brian Hartline - Lamar Miller

New England Patriots - Wes Welker - Danny Woodhead - Stevan Ridley - Rob Gronkowski - Aaron Hernandez - Deion Branch

Thoughts?
Woods is a slot WR himself. He doesn't play outside in USC's offense.

I've seen the kid play and he could easily convert, he has played on the outside on many huge plays as well and is extremely elusive even in double coverage.
Why take a guys biggest strength away? He's a beast in the slot. Lot better scoring threat than Bess as well.

Nice post. Obviously the Patriots have had a lot of success during the past decade, but while everyone seems to focus on the Pat's offensive weapons, it was probably their defense that won them their three SB's between 2001 and 2006. They had players like Brushi, Vrabel, Law, Seymour, Harrison...all of those players are long gone, and the Patriots have not had a defense that has been close to what they had early in the 2000's.

I think the Pats have been able to overcome their defensive problems against most teams because they can simply outscore most teams with their high powered hurry-up offense. I think the Pats not only are right up there in turnover differential but they also averaged about ten more plays on offense than the 2nd closest team. But they have not had as much success in big games against teams like the Giants, because they have great pass rushers, and can match up with the Pat's big weapons (Gronk, Welker, Hernandez, etc.)

I remember in the 1980's, the Niner's West Coast offense was virtually unstoppable. Montana had Jerry Rice, Dwight Clark, John Taylor, and Roger Craig running the ball. But they also had a very good defense led by Ronnie Lott. Most Superbowl winners are well balanced on offense and defense...you have exceptions like the St. Louis Rams who had the "Greatest Show on Turf" offense and a pretty average defense, and you had the Baltimore Ravens in the early 2000's with a great defense and a pretty average offense.

I think we definitely need to add a couple top WR's and a TE, either through the draft, free agency or a combination, but we also have to add another top pass rushing DE, and some quality D-Backs, along with some better O-lineman. I think we are heading in the right direction. I just think if Belichick takes advantage of the rules by running a "hurry up" offense, than we should do likewise.

EDIT is messed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice post. Obviously the Patriots have had a lot of success during the past decade, but while everyone seems to focus on the Pat's offensive weapons, it was probably their defense that won them their three SB's between 2001 and 2006. They had players like Brushi, Vrabel, Law, Seymour, Harrison...all of those players are long gone, and the Patriots have not had a defense that has been close to what they had early in the 2000's.

I think the Pats have been able to overcome their defensive problems against most teams because they can simply outscore most teams with their high powered hurry-up offense. I think the Pats not only are right up there in turnover differential but they also averaged about ten more plays on offense than the 2nd closest team. But they have not had as much success in big games against teams like the Giants, because they have great pass rushers, and can match up with the Pat's big weapons (Gronk, Welker, Hernandez, etc.)

I remember in the 1980's, the Niner's West Coast offense was virtually unstoppable. Montana had Jerry Rice, Dwight Clark, John Taylor, and Roger Craig running the ball. But they also had a very good defense led by Ronnie Lott. Most Superbowl winners are well balanced on defense...you have exceptions like the St. Louis Rams who had the "Greatest Show on Turf" offense and a pretty average defense, and you had the Baltimore Ravens in the early 2000's with a great defense and a pretty average offense.

I think we definitely need to add a couple top WR's and a TE, either through the draft, free agency or a combination, but we also have to add another top pass rushing DE, and some quality D-Backs, along with some better O-lineman. I think we are heading in the right direction. I just think if Belichick takes advantage of the rules by running a "hurry up" offense, than we should do likewise.

I appreciate it, and a lot of people have the mindset that if we sign Jennings, Wallace, or Bowe that our offense is going to ignite as if they have completely forgotten the Brandon Marshall trade. This team NEEDS one of those 3 (Jennings IMO) AND at least three more play makers to thoroughly ignite this offense into elite, to near-elite status and I believe we can do that with the combination of Justin Hunter and Robert Woods. I am praying that Zach Ertz will be available with our second 2nd round pick but I have high doubts.

Back
Top Bottom