My feeling on Tate, Right Tackle, OL... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My feeling on Tate, Right Tackle, OL...

PhinfanBo1

Scout Team
Reaction score
First of all, let me say that I like John Tait. He is a good, solid right tackle, probably a little better than Todd Wade and he has the ability to also play the Left Side. However, I am happy that we didn't sign him, and I am actually a little dissapointed that this organization offered him as much money as they did while not being willing to give Todd Wade a lesser amount for the same job.

14 million dollar signing bonus for a right tackle, and that huge cap hit in the first year? The deal is utterly ridiculious and as one 'expert' put it, that is Jonathan Ogden type of money. I would be willing to give that to an up and coming Left Tackle who has already been a solid starter, but not by any means to a Right Tackle; especially one who is solid but not overpowering.

The guy that we need to sign is Damion McIntosh. He is a young tackle who did a very good job on an excellent San Diego run blocking line while playing the demanding left side. He is much better suited for right tackle at 6-4 325 and with his style of play. The transition will be smooth, and he has the POTENTIAL to be a better right tackle than Wade or Tait, while giving him a lesser contract while he proves it. I would be willing to give him something along the lines of 6 years, 28 million with an 8 million dollar signing bonus. That is a solid price for a good young right tackle with a great upside. McIntosh's biggest question mark is that he has had some injury problems, nothing too serious but he has missed some chunks of playing time. By not overpaying, we have the ability to sign a guy like Bobbie Williams as well who can compete for the starting job at Right Guard, and be great insurance for McIntosh at left tackle. If Spielman can sign these two guys, I will be thrilled and I think that James-McIntosh-Williams is a better package than the "names" Woody and Tait would have been as a duo. If they can only land McIntosh, I think that would still be a big time upgrade along the offensive line for the present and future with McIntosh and James. The front office likes Taylor Whitley, and it is very easy to get a solid guard in the 3rd or 4th round that can compete for a starting job.

Does everyone think McKinney will be a good center this year? I'm not entirely convinced after last year. Getting some center competition maybe a good idea.

chris bober is someone id like to see brought in at center, keep mckinney as our backup and put him in the mix for guard competition

McKinney will be average if he starts at center.

Perhaps if we draft any O-Line at all in the 1st it should be Jake Grove.

Back
Top Bottom