My first (and hopefully last) complaint.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My first (and hopefully last) complaint....

Predaphin

Predator in the Water
Reaction score
I was suspended for a day because of my sig...Now, I know it was just 1 day, but I was really upset about it because it was my first time being suspended EVER (and I've been a respectful member since 01'). I was suspended because I had the following as my sig....

clear.gif

Never had sex that costed,
I **** so much I'm exhausted,
And this new **** I'm flossin,
I got debt cause I'm bettin' with the Dolphins, huh
Slip-N-Slide's fin' ta take it to da house !!!
I had posted the lyrics from the Trick Daddy song "Take it to da house" ...Now, those (*) had letters, but they did not spell out any complete cusswords (cusswords would be censored anyway and I refuse to post what I had to prevent from being banned or suspended)...

Although I agree I may have been in some kind of violation, it doesn't even say anything about having foul language in the TOS....

4. Signatures and Avatars
Added: February 1, 2004 - Avatars and signatures should not have any type of nudity or be too risqué. Basically, nothing sexually explicit. However we also ask that you refrain from using bathing suit-type photos altogether for the purpose of promoting on-topic conversation. We believe this is fair as avatars and signatures are in every forum. In some forums these pictures may or may not be allowed. Thus, there should be no pictures, as stated above, in one's avatar or signature. However, images such as stated in the above may be posted in The Ladies Lounge.

Added: January 15, 2005 - You are permitted one photo per signature. Please keep the dimensions within the 400x300 pixel range and below 40k in size. Exceptions can be made if a signature is wider than 400 pixels, but much shorter than 300 pixels in height (a banner for example). Not only does this make for a sleeker, less congested forum, but it also helps visitors who are limited to 56K dialup connections.

After reading further down the TOS, I came up on #6...

6. Moderation
Moderators and Administrators reserve the right to edit or delete your thread or post without consulting you first. Moderators and Super Moderators also have the right to act without consulting an Administrator first.

However, if you find that a Moderator continually does this for no apparent reason, please email an Administrator.

Warning System
1st Offense - Warning given via PM/post
2nd Offense - Minimum 24-hour ban
3rd Offense - Permanent ban

Please note that you may be banned/suspended without notice for a FIRST offense.
If you feel you can behave in a mature manner, please feel free to contact us.

Now, I don't have a problem with any of my posts, avatars or sigs being removed without my permission (as I am only a poster on here like every other finfan). But this was clearly my first violation (if it was a violation at all)...I never recieved a warning, and although it clearly states i may be suspended without notice for a first offense, I honeslty don't think this was bad enough to be treated as a second offense and get a suspension without warning. If one of the Mods would have simply asked me to take it off, or even removed it without my permission and wanred me about it, I would not have a problem with that, i would have moved it immiedetly.

This brings in to question as to whether or not some Mods are abusing their Mod status and it really makes people think twice about sticking around or even helping out a great site like this one. I know donating is an option, but this kind of stuff makes you think twice about donating. I know I don't have to post here if I don't like it, but that's the problem, I do like this site and I think it's the best site on the net, I just don't like the way some people start to get trigger itchy for a ban. I would hate for such a good site to get a bad rep just because someone did not know how to Moderate the forum.

I believe that if censored foul language should not be in sigs, then that should be included in the TOS.

Anyway, It happened and I've moved on...I just had to get it out my thoughts on this whole situation.

that sig is awesome. trick daddy represents not only for the dolphins, but miami. he went to miami northwestern high. i see no problem with it.

From the TOS...

#

# Language
There will be no swearing of any kind. Circumventing the profanity filter is also not permitted.

Pred,

I'm the mod that suspended your ability to post for one day. I appreciate that it troubles you to have been suspended, -- that shows that your mindset is to be in conformance with the rules. At the same time, a member with over 7000 posts is assumed to be aware of what the rules are.

Sometimes a newbie will do the same kind of thing and get a warning that they need to brush up on the TOS. (If a newbie comes in and shows multiple posts in violation, he might get time-off to read the rules.)

There's an exasperation factor for the mods when a long-term member violates the TOS. We look at the violation... and we glance up to see a very familiar avatar and username... and the sense is, "My God, -- this guy's been here forever and he has to know what the rules are... and he chose to violate them anyway." You'd be amazed at how often we find ourselves staring at blatant, knowing violations by long-term members and friends. They know the rule... and just opt to trample it.

I see that you didn't realize you were in violation. Noted and appreciated. But we still need to enforce rules, and the language in that sig was blatantly rude and blatantly obvious. It was inappropriate for the main forum in a general sense, and in violation of TOS regarding circumventing the profanity filter in a specific sense.

Why not a warning? I'll tell you that this was a relatively close call, despite the presumption that you know the rules and the fact that it was actionable for multiple reasons. But it tilted into the "one day off" range.

One day off (from posting, not from viewing) is a remarkably light sanction. If it affects someone's life in a serious way, it's time to get outside more.;) And it is of far more importance to the quality of the site that people scrolling the threads SEE that the TOS is taken seriously and enforced firmly than the membership here would generally recognize. But letting those scrolling thru the threads see that they'll be protected from personal attacks, etc lets everyone know where the lines are drawn. There would be chaos here if people didn't SEE that rules are enforced.

I'm probably the mod most likely to suspend someone. It's not much fun at all. I consider the judicious imposition of a suspension or ban to be of such importance that I nearly always sign my name to the statement of suspension, openly in the threads. Doesn't win me too many friends, frankly, but it needs to be done. Other staff contribute in technical and administrative ways that I really can't, so I accept the role of enforcing TOS.

You're a fine member, Pred. You needn't read too much into being given a day off from posting. Far as I'm concerned, the slate's clean.

Regards,
P4E

You know what? Despite my being okay with Pred based on his explanation, people are going to read this thread and they may come away from it with a misapprehension of what exactly was at issue and what the attitudes and judgments of the mods may be. So I'm going to take a liberty here and show people exactly what we're dealing with -- because I saved the signature before removing it.

The main forum is meant for a general audience, such that a parent shouldn't be concerned about a 12 year old reading it, nor should someone be concerned about what appears on the pages if they're checking it out from a workplace.

Okay; -- here's the sig in question, exactly as it was entered on the main forum:

I fu*k so much I'm exhausted,
And this new $hit I'm flossin,
I got debt cause I'm bettin' with the Dolphins, huh
Slip-N-Slide's fin' ta take it to da house !!!

Anyone think that belonged in the main forum?

btw... a post doesn't even need to contain profanity at all to be judged inappropriate and worthy of sanction. The profanity didn't look like this: *****, it looked like what you just read.

If you think suspending someone's posting privileges for 24 hours for that is draconian, then we're gonna have to disagree.:)

I think its fair Pre, sorry man. Us longtimers have a responsibility as well to help the mods enforce the rules by following them ourselves. I occationally do get out of line on the Political forum, but I catch myself, edit it, and repost. Your sig probably couldve included the last two lines, but definately not the first two. Whatever your views are openess about language, you must respect those who disagree with that, those who are parents and workfolk who read the 'Heaven in the workplace. I shouldve been banned a day for posting an entire article the other day...whoops! :D

I liked the sig but I guess I can see where the man might have a problem with it. I thought it might warrent a warning but I guess thats why I am not a mod

Back
Top Bottom