My First & Probably Last Post-Draft Plan 2009 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My First & Probably Last Post-Draft Plan 2009

Zee

Practice Squad
Reaction score
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']I have been a Dolphin fan for over 35 years and a avid NFL football fan since the mid eighties. That's when I lost my belief in college football selecting champions by votes. Why even keep score, just vote on who played the best. It’s football not figure skating. Sorry. Anyway.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']I have been reading posts and other information on this site for over six years if not longer. I never really had the desire to create a post, and honestly, I probably won’t ever do one again. I just like gathering different information and perspectives from fellow Dolphin fans across the county. I came close before the 2007 draft because I knew there was a good chance Quinn would fall to us. In fact as I watched that draft I honestly thought it was taking so long because they were listening to offers to trade back a couple of places because Quinn would still be on the board. Anyway, I would like to say thanks to everybody who posts interesting information. I especially appreciate the break downs of training camp, and pre-season games. Thanks.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']This regime does an outstanding job of laying out a draft plan. All teams have a draft board and players that they target. The difference between this regime and previous is they plan out how other teams are going to select or how players are going to fall to them. We had other people running the draft with a wish list. Well maybe that player will be there and maybe he won’t. Oh no we better reach for the next guy so we don’t miss out on him. Jimmy Johnson was great at selecting talent, but he just selected what he thought was the best available at the time. [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Simply put Jimmy Johnson was the type of poker player that could play his hand the best possible way with what he was dealt. This regime not only knows how to play their hand, they also have a pretty good idea of what everybody else is holding and the cards they are hoping to have dealt to them. Plus they calculate the odds of what is going to be turned up next.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']A good example of this is last year they selected Jake Long. Knowing they could get a QB they liked in the second round they selected the best T in the draft. Why, because they knew there was going to be a run on Tackles before they selected again. They also knew the players that they had targeted would likely be available when it was their selection. They simply let players fall to them. When they trade back an acquire addition picks, they do it because they believe the player they wanted with that pick will still be on the board anyway. I’m not saying they know who every team is going to select, it is a matter of probability. X amount of WRs and Y amount of draft picks between the current selection and their next pick. Then just look at the teams between them and their current needs.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']This regime hedges their bet. They want competition at all positions all of the time. Last year when they addressed an area they brought in free agents and drafted in pairs. They did everything they could to cover all bases and give the team the best chance to address the position. I see this strategy being employed in this draft as well. [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']It’s a pretty deep draft for WRs, DB, DTs and Cs. All of which the Dolphins could use to improve the team. I honestly believe that if the opportunity presents itself to trade our first round pick to a team that picks early in the second round we’ll do it in a heart beat. Looking at the value chart it is possible we could acquire an early 2nd and 3rd round pick for our 25th pick. That would give the regime 5 picks in round 2-3. If this were to happen I believe the positions selected would still be pretty much the same.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Here is how I have the Dolphins Draft going:[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Round 1: WR Kenny Britt or H. Nicks. I like Nicks. He has great hands, gets yards after the catch, and he is very hard to bring down, but what do I know. I just hope we select a WR with ths pick or our first pick. Why, because after they select and looking at the teams behind them, there will be a run on WR in the 2 round before we select again at number 44. They need to pick one here or risk losing out on some of the top tier WRs.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Round 2a: CB who ever they value V. Davis maybe or whoever slips to us here.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Round 2b: C several good ones in the draft. They signed Grove, but history says they will not place all of their eggs in one basket. I’m not knocking Grove, but injuries happen and this regime likes to have a plan B and competition. They will pick one that can play guard as well as center to provide more options along the line. It also would provide some insurance in case Smiley or Thomas do not come back 100%. My pick would be the center from Alabama, A. Caldwell.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Round 3: RB Shonn Greene Iowa. If we had not lost Jalen Parmele I think we could do without drafting a RB this year. A different position could be drafted here and definitely trading down is always an option. Remember how they project players they target to still be available later when they select. This pick could also be ILB, OLB or CB.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Round 4: ILB OLB Parcells can’t go this long without selecting one of his favorite positions. However, I would like to see another CB selected with this pick.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']The rest are in no order but I feel they will focus on:[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']R5: DT Roy Miller. Read his strengths in Lindy’s and his performance in the East-West Shrine game. He does exactly what the regime asks for form its NT. Takes up two blockers, stops the run and clogs the middle.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']R6: CB[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']R7: T[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']R7: CB[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']The wild card is that Parcells loves LBs. I know we could use better ones, but it just isn’t that great of a need this year. I know I could be totally wrong on the players. The regime has more football knowledge lost in sneeze then I have in my whole body. Plus they got to interview several players. We all know Parcells first requirement for all of his players. You must sleep eat and love football 24-7. However, there is another trait he looks for that we learned from Coach Sparano. He said the first thing he asked Joey Porter was to let your coaches coach you. I relate that to a “can do attitude”. I have no idea how any of these players rate as far as their attitude is concerned or more importantly how the regime rates their attitude. I am pretty confident in the positions more then the players. We’ll find out on Saturday and Sunday[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom